New York Marathon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tprice54

I got some tv coverage today form a local station. Come to find out, the reporter goes to my cardio and my cardio told him about my surgery and marathoning, so here is a link to the written story. The video story showed my cath the day before surgery....my dr spoke about the cath and how much blood and dye was leaking back though the valve...it had to come out. Great seeing it again!;)

http://www.wstm.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=208468

We have a celebrity in our midst!! … Very nice article, congratulations Tom!!! Very inspirational. I never was much on exercise and struggle to keep up with my walking but the testimony on vr.com from avid runners bikers etc gave me hope for an uncertain future prior to my surgery in 2006 … My father had AVR in the early 1970’s and was basically disabled at the time but I just remember him as someone with very limited energy and sickly … that was my biggest fear at 49 years of age, to end up unable to do what I wanted to do, I now know this was a worry for my DW as well (she knew my father) … she said she never worried about the surgery itself but what life would be like afterwards.

I think it is so important that you runners, swimmers, bikers continue to share your triumphs with this forum. It gives hope and encouragement. My AVR did not transform me into Joe Jock but it didn’t put me on the sofa either. Keep it up ladies and gentlemen, there many yet to join our elite club and they will need to be lifted up as I did. Many thanks.

That's great Tom. Good to see you continue to maintain high mileage. The NYC Marathon is HUGE! Aaaahh, maybe some day. :)

Tom

Tom

Tom, that is a great story, thanks for sharing it with us!!
Today as I rode my bike I was remembering how thankful
I was to be getting stronger and healthier each and every
time I get on my bike. I am so thankful I can get to do what
I love and I get alittle stronger each time I ride!
Debbie :)

hi tom, that's great. could you give us some more info (well, me really)? i've selected
the same valve for install in january. planning to start distance running again
afterwards.

how are your running times now compared to before the valve replacement?

the write-up says your doc found the problem during a routine exam. were you
still running at that point? how about just prior to surgery?

and afterwards? how was your progress, in terms of distance and time?

how are your running times now compared to before the valve replacement?

were you still running at that point? how about just prior to surgery?
and afterwards?

how was your progress, in terms of distance and time?

I'll chime in since I have a similar history. I had AVR in 1991. I had been a runner for years before and have continued ever since. I've written about it several times over the years. Here are two articles, one from just after the surgery and another after 15 years. As for race times, yeah they do get slower.

http://home.nycap.rr.com/sumorunner/heart-stories/one-mile-today.html
http://home.nycap.rr.com/sumorunner/heart-stories/15years.html

Thanks everyone. A little history, similar to Jack's....In January 2006, I ran the inaugural Goofy challenge at Disneyworld. Ran the half marathon Saturday morning, then got up and ran the full marathon on Sunday. 3 months later during a routine exam (once a year for allergy meds) the murmur was much louder. After finding a cardio I liked, he let me keep running. I ran the inaugural Disneyland half marathon in September 2006. By November 2006, I could not run a mile without stopping. Anyway...it takes a good year to two years to fully recover. I have to keep reminding myself the comparison is NOT to what I ran in January 2006, but what I could do just before surgery....nothing. My goal is to be under 5 hours for New York...a good 40 minutes slower than any other marathon, but so what...it's a whole different thing running now.

It isn't possible to compare my race times before and after AVR because I stopped training and racing hard afterwards. I kept going to local races but intentionally slowed down out of doubt over what I should be able to do. I also gained quite a bit of weight which is an even bigger factor in slower running times.

It was a rare thing 17 years ago to return to running following heart surgery and I had no one else to talk to as we do here about my experience and what might be possible or even reasonable to do.

I know exactly what your saying Jack. Having the surgery takes the instinct to push the body hard. The racing time is a function of training intensity, if you don't push your body hard in training you'll never achieve the race results.

Or is it just too much ice cream.

Latest posts

Back