New (with many questions)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cindy

Hi everyone! What a nice supportive group you have. I am researching valve replacement for my Dad- who is facing this possibly at end of August. We plan to travel to the Cleveland Clinic and have Dr. Bruce Lytle do his mitral valve replacment (or repair). Has anyone here had the minimally invasive surgery? What should we consider about requesting that? Also an age question... My Dad will be 80 years old but is in excellent health - rides his bike 5 miles a day and gardens, etc. Are there any recipients here in that age range? Anyone a patient of Dr. Lytle?
Again, Thank you for this forum. It helps so much when facing something we knew nothing about until Monday evening!!

Hi Cindy

Hi Cindy

Welcome to the group. We have a few folks here that are "veterans" of life. But I don't know if there are any of that exact age. I think that might have something to do with the fact that most 80 year old people aren't exactly internet surfers. That will soon change as prople realize what a value the web can be for all of us.

You father will undoubtedly be opting for a tissue valve replacement instead of a mechanical. This means that he shouldn't end up on coumadin which means that after the recovery from the replacement itself, his activity level should be able to return to normal.

More people will respond to your plea for answers in due time.

And welcome to our family.

Cindy's Dad

Cindy's Dad

Cindy,

Can't help you much from the stand point of your dad's age, but I had an aortic valve replacement (homograft) from the Cleveland Clinic in Jan. '00. Wonderful place! Wonderful people! When I was asking questions about maybe needing another surgery in my late 70's, they said not to worry..they do lots of valve replacements for people in their 80's and even a few in their early 90's. Your dad sounds like how I hope to be in my 80's...he should have a successful outcome and will be so happy with how much better he feels after he heals a few days. Good luck and do keep us informed.

Welcome, Cindy. You have surely come to the right place to get information for your father. There is a goldmine of information for you and all you have to do is ask and then read. God bless

Hello Cindy,

I posted a lot of information on Heart Surgery and Recovery under the thread Bicuspid Aortic Surgery in the Heart Talk section on 7/1/01, including some useful references and web sites. Hope you and your dad find it useful. Best wishes.

'AL'

Hi Cindy,

I had my aortic valve replaced last year on 12-15-00 I was 49. It was done at Duke hospital in Durham, North Carolina. I choose a homograph and feel it was the best decission for me. Only have to take a baby asperin a day. Just saw my cardio for my seventh month check, and he said that my sternum has healed strong and straight. Good luck to you and your dad. So good to have you with us. This is a wonderful place, full of all sorts of good people.

Hi Cindy and welcome to the group.
Cannot help you much in regards to your father's age, but can tell you that AVR these days is like working on someone's car. LOL! Just kidding, but that's how the doctors talk about it.
I was 53 years old last year when I had my first AVR (mechanical) and the second one 11 days later due to a blood clot that had lodged underneath the mechanical valve. I was on Coumadin but had a difficult time getting my INR up to a safe level after my first AVR, and the INR got way too low.
I had no idea what Coumadin was other than that they told me that it was a blood thinner, and that I would have to take it for the rest of my life. Coumadin has had no side effects for me so far, but it takes quite a while for some people to get regulated. I still go up and down after almost one year post-op. Anything and everything interferes with Coumadin.
Your father should do fine even at age 80. He should choose the tissue valve, because dealing with Coumadin at his age might not be such a good idea. There are many reported problems with older people on Coumadin. They forget to take it, or take too little or too much. You get the idea I think, and with Coumadin you CANNOT make mistakes. The results can be serious bleeding, clots or strokes with catastrophic results.

Hope this information helps you!

Christina

Last edited:
Getting up there

Getting up there

Welcome, Cindy --

My Mother had very successful AVR at age 86 and is now doing fine -- at least in that arena -- at age 92.

As regards "minimally invasive," an interesting question there. I gather a lot is done under that name, and quite successfully, at CCF. "Minimally invasive" does seem to mean somewhat different things to different folks, and notably surgeons. Our local surgeon here in Tallahasse says that their group has not adopted the procedure because they find that the acrobatics required to operate through the minimal aperture leave the sternum about as sore and slow to recover as it would be with the traditional incision. He says that a head count at the last major cardiac surgery conference he attended showed only a handful of a hundred respondents practicing it. But check that with other sources. This particular medical field is divided into enough distinct, if hopefully friendly, camps so it is important to cross-check all information, I find.

Very best of luck!

Peter

When I asked my doc about minimally invasive procedures, he mirrored what Peter has said.

They did not believe there were notable differences for recovery, but more importantly, their philosophy is that the procedure is difficult enough in most cases that they do not want to be impeded by the sternum. Plus, if complications arise, they would have to waste precious time messing with the sternum and they do not like that.

I had thought of it not from a scarring standpoint, as this was my second AVR, but from a recovery perspective (anything to minimize discomfort is good). They said they also would not consider doing minimally invasive on a reop since the scar is already there.

For mitral and some other kinds of repair, they now can do a lot through truncates (spelling?). This is where they put a few little holes in the patient's chest and work between the ribs with their insturments and camera's. I believe Nancy's husband, Joe had this done.

The son of one of my business associates had mitral repair done in this manner. He went golfing less than one week after surgery.
Of course, he was 17 or some young precious age like that, so you can expect the kid could probably recover from even an open chest procedure twice as fast as most of us.

Don't worry about the minimally invasive procedure. They are not used that often and most of what seen suggests they add risk and hassle with no tangible benefit to the patient.

If he does in fact need an AVR, the surgeons will likely recommend a tissue valve for your father, since they don't usually like to use Coumadin (necessary with mechanical valves) with the elderly unless it's necessary. The tissue valves that are available today should ensure your father requires no further surgery (pending complications), so hopefully he won't have to endure another one later in life.

When I was in the hospital the first time, there was a nice old lady who was in her early '90's that had to have surgery. She got through it ok. The body can put up with a lot, even in our later years.
Kev

Thank you all!!

Thank you all!!

Thanks to everyone for your kind replies..... and the information I have found here has been truely "priceless". I had checked out other sites on the web and read a little bit .... but there is a warm, human element here that cannot be duplicated.
I have found (by picking up a copy of my dad's ECHO to send to Cleveland) that I misunderstood which valve was involved. It seems to be the aortic instead of the mitral. Are these procedures similar?
The further checking I did on the minimally invasive has us convinced that it is no longer highly recommended. Most of the articles I had read touting it were from 1998... Things change so quickly in this field. We certainly want the surgeon to be unincumbered and to do the procedure that he feels most comfortable with.
I will be shipping more of his records to Cleveland tomorrow and we hope to have a firm date so we can make travel plans....
Well... Just wanted to say a sincere "Thank you" and I guess I will soon be hanging around the pre-op folder trying to get prepared. I did go see my Dad today and he seemed better. He is still sore from the bike accident and says he feels tired in the mornings - but gets more energy as the day progresses.

Latest posts

Back