New to the VR Forum

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jason. I'm going in next Tues, 5 Apr due to a rapidly expanding aortic anuerysm. The BAV is working great but if they need to replace it I chose mechanical. I too, do not want to go through this again and I'm 56.

Carol

Hey Jake, looks like you and I came to this site about the same time. Circumstances are a little different though. I already have my bionic valve. Got it when I was 39 which was 12 years ago. Mitral valve was the replacement here. I chose the St Jude's mechanical. Things have gone well for me. Some ups, some downs, diet & exercise are more important to me now than ever.

Oh and as far as posting pics, I think that is a premium feature for the paid subscribers. And I haven't found the link to pay, although I've looked in two different places thanks to clues from other members here. It must be a computer thing.

have fun
Herb

Hi Jason. I'm going in next Tues, 5 Apr due to a rapidly expanding aortic anuerysm. The BAV is working great but if they need to replace it I chose mechanical. I too, do not want to go through this again and I'm 56.

Carol

Hi Carol! What is your aortic aneurysm up to today? Mine was 3.7-3.9 when I was in my twenties, and in 2001 or 2002 it opened up to 4.3-4.5. They started watching it more closely, and in the last year it went from 4.5 to 5.4. That was the point where I was referred to a surgeon. The good news was that it hadn't expanded into the root yet, so they were able to save that which shaved some time off of the surgery and the bypass machine. I am sure that your surgery will go well, and I hope you are coping well. I was much more nervous the weekend going into it than I needed to be, looking back. Hope all is well!

Welcome to the "Waiting Room" Jake !! Sorry for your need to be here.....but so glad you found this site, as it has a wonderful supportive group of people on it, with years of knowledge.
I think, the choice of valves, is the hardest decision, maybe, after the choice of Surgeons. I did finally decide on a tissue valve for my up-coming surgery, but with total honesty, I am still not 100% sure of my decision......but I know, it definitely will work alot better than the one I now have .......so I will be absolutely happy, just to have a functional heart again. So, I know which-ever one you choose, will be the right one for you !
Best of luck, and nice to meet you, Jake.
Renee

Go Team 2011 !!!!!

Hi Jason, it's at 5. Grew from 4.6 to 5 in a year...so as they say "it's time". Thanks for the kind words. I just took my first pre surgery meds...wow...reality has set in.

Carol

Hi Greg...

Thanks for the info links you attached to your email. Great information to have available. I went in for a 2nd opinion to a doctor that was listed in VR and highly recommended. After looking at my echo results, he suggested moving the surgery up to May 9th based on my numbers and symptoms. I was having some reservations about my surgeon and by visiting with Dr. Eales at Abbott Northwestern Hospital, I ended up booking with him. As I said, this forum is invaluable... Great people sharing great experiences... May 9th, here I come!

Hi Jake. Had a St-Jude mechanical valve put in on January 24-11. Had congenital BAV, I'm now 52. It's been 11 weeks now. It was a Monday at 16:30. Wednesday at noon I was sitting in a chair. Thursday I felt good enough that I wanted to leave the hospital and not because I wasn't well treated. Released on Friday at about 16:00. I can honestly say that it wasn't as bad as I thought. Sure, the first 24 hours are a bit rough but you're "sleeping" most of it. Don't be shy of the morphine, it's on the house. One suggestion would be to stay away from pepper for awhile, this could make you sneeze. You really don't want to be sneezing much for a few weeks.

Good luck and like Red Green says, "keep your stick on the ice". We're all in this together.

hello Jake -
Welcome aboard, isn't this just the best site! Same boat you are only 41 and going on my 2nd replacement. It is a scarey thing to have OHS, the concept scared me to death until it was over. Now looking to the second one I know what to expect. The best part is having all these folks who are in the same shoes as you, to talk to. AND they all understand!!!! YAHOOO.... Your choices are yours, take your time in choosing and get comfortable with your surgeon. That will help. Hey I had mine done in MN also - Mayo. Lucky state! :) Best wishes Jake, you will done before you know it and on your way to a brand new life with a new engine. :)

Latest posts

Back