New to the Group and Lesson Learned

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michal,
How was the pain with the minimally invasive? Did you feel it with every breath?

Debby,

Honestly, the pain wasn't bad at all. What did make matters worse for me was that I caught some sort of respiratory infection and every time that I coughed, it felt as though some muscle was tearing off my right chest wall. I actually had to go to the ER last week because I coughed so hard and the pain was so intense (worse the ANYTHING felt in the days following surgery) that I thought I did some damage to my right side.

The breathing has been fine. The mandatory (as instructed) and involuntary coughing has been what caused the most pain...and that was all muscular.

The incentive spirometer was/is my nemesis. At first, I was told that I needed to get the indicator up to 700 ml. No one told me that I was supposed to better my efforts or that I needed to do it as often as prescribed (4 x hour for 10 times). I needed to get it up to 2000 ml before they would discharge me. Took me a while, but eventually made it up there.

Long response. Sorry.

Mike

Michal,
You said you were asymptomatic, but I'll bet that once you recover from the surgery your cycling endurance will improve with your new and improved valve. Let us know.
John

hello lion heart, just wanted to say hi because I also had coarctation repair in 1975 , bit of a chicken

Hi Bit of a chicken!
Coarctation is common among us. Welcome aboard. You know, if you ever want to send someone a personal note just click on their name and you will get their profile. Click on "Contact info" and you can send them a note directly. I'm sending you one now to say hello.
Take care,
John

Mary -

Not sure about pacing wires. But the chest tube, main line in my neck and IV were all removed by a Physician's Assistant the next morning. A nurse removed my catheter. Funny, but I expected all of the OTHER tubes to hurt much more...and the nurse even said that the catheter would be the easiest...but for crying out loud, that hurt like an SOB. I had an ace bandage over the hole where my chest tube was located and that thing oozed for days after discharge.

I left the hospital without any tubes or wires. Just me, my new scars, an oozing chest tube incision and some pain meds.

Mike

Mike,
You would have known if you had pacing wires post-op. That's usually the last thing they pull before you're discharged.

Mike,
You would have known if you had pacing wires post-op. That's usually the last thing they pull before you're discharged.

Mike if you forgot to get them out like me 1st surgery 16 years ago i went home,couldnt figure out why i itched soooooooo bad ,when i called my cardio
omg ,had to go back after being home.

they pulled these snakes outta me fast and abrupt .....lost my breath
HURT LIKE HECK my 2nd surgery thursday and i,ve learned my lesson
and well make sure this set comes out before i leave:p

zipper2 (DEB) thanks for reminder Mary!!!!!!!

Deb,

Thanks for the note. Best of luck on your second surgery...keep those docs and nurses on their toes!

Mike

John,

Thanks. That's what my surgeon told me as well. At this point, I am thankful for just being alive to see my family and will take it one day at a time. If I'm meant to get back on the bike at a competitive level, so be it. If not, so be it. But it doesn't mean I'm not going to give it everything I have.

Mike

Fran,

Thank you for your encouragement. The resting heart rate is down into the high 70s, but I'm hopeful that cardiac rehab and eventual return to my cardio workouts will bring that number down. One cardiac nurse told me that it may never come down...freakish thought, but okay. I hope that your nephew continues to do well.

Mike

Just keep thinking positive!

My resting heart rate has always been very low. I thought this was an indication of my overall good health, lol, until it appears it's got much to do with what they have called an "irritable" heart condition.

Mine can plummet just lying still. When I tried beta blockers a year or so before surgery, wow, talk about miserable.

It is what it is. :) :cool: Keep that in mind and strive to accept any "new normal" that might have to ensue from your event. :)

Personally the removal of the pacing wires was one of the weirder feelings I have experienced...the removal of the catheter was painful, but a glorious relier.

Mike, Welcome! You are our new champion! For the record, I predict future success on the bike! Take it easy for a while. Brian

Latest posts

Back