New to forum

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas999

While looking for info on longevity of the St. Jude Mech Valve (aortic), I happened to find this site. Quite interesting, and I see many posts I can relate to. I had and Aortic Valve Prosthesis back in Dec of 1987 due to an aneurysm in the ascending aorta, which also destroyed my valve. While having OHS the surgeon team concluded that I was lucky to be there that hour because I wouldn't have lived til the next because the aortic wall was so thin they could see through it. I had a choice of having this surgery in Dec or Jan of following year, I chose Dec. If I didn't I wouldn't be here. This coming Dec it will be 25 years with this same valve, and I wonder how long it will last, or other parts of this area. I had about 5 inches of the aorta replaced with dacron mesh with the SJV sewn into it. I have had many emotional difficulties over the years because of the surgery, being very intense in the beginning to moderate these days. Strange that the noise of the valve is difficult to live with when I lay down to sleep, and I always have had to use an air cleaner/fan/white noise to pacify my anxieties, even now. I take 10mg of warfarin daily and a couple other heart meds to keep the INR between 2.5 to 3.5 . In 2007 I started coughing up blood, bleeding in my legs because my INR jumped to 11.8 . The doctors still don't know why it jumped up that high, as it was just tested at 2.7 10 days before. I wish I could get of blood thinners. At my last check up I was hoping the cardiologist would have told me I needed a new valve replacement so I could get a biological valve put in to save taking thinners, and also the freedom from noise. I feel like an old timer at 25 years with the same valve.
Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom. You will find this forum very useful. Mechanical valves normally last a long time, maybe a lifetime....mine is 45 years old, working very well, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will last the long haul. It is not a St. Jude, but I understand they last a long time too. Like me, you had your surgery before the internet and when information was difficult to get. I stumbled on this forum about 5 years ago and have gotten "a ton" of good infor off this site. That is really strange to jump from 2.7 to 11.8 in ten days. I have always found that those kind of unusual jumps are due to some kind of test error and those extremely high numbers(11.8) are indicative of a machine error. I had an 8.0 a year ago that was confrimed to be machine error and the machine was replaced. No problem since. That has happened to me only a couple times since the INR system was introduced and I would always get a "lab draw" to confirm, or reject, such a hi number......or very lo number

Hi Tom,

Wow, sounds like you are very lucky to be here! I had an aortic aneurysm as well, mine was 5.2cm and that was big enough!!!

I really hope you can get some answers soon about your INR levels!

BTW, I used to work near Sterling Heights (actually TRW in Shelby Twp) about 20 years ago, so I know the area but I'm sure it's a lot different now I think (more built up)!

I'll be thinking of you and keep us posted!

Rachel

Thanks for the replies. When my INR was elevated I had to go to the emergency room and was kept in the hospital for 3 days on a vitamin k dosage to lower it. It was quite serious, but I was never really worried. I have had my PT tested before where I was doubting the results as legitimate and got it retested, but this time the hospital checked it while in the emergency room. The nurse told me that she didn't believe the INR could go that high, only to 10, but after it was tested she was very apologetic about it being 11.8. There is no doubt in my mind about it being 11.8, because I had internal hemorrhaging going on, and almost bleeding out of the skin pores. All is ok now.
Thanks Rachel, hope all is well with you. I don't live too far from sby twsp.
Tom

Latest posts

Back