new to coumadin, lots of q's

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy

Hey guys, as you know I just started taking coumadin because my doctors think I threw a clot. Now on with the questions.

1)Is it normal to throw a clot with a tissue valve?
2)How long do you guys think I should be on it?
3)I am an avid chocolate eater/pepsi twist drinker
is this a bad thing?
4)can I go downhill skiing while on coumadin?

These things are the reason I chose to have the tissue valve. I didn'twant to change my life. I love to do active things, like run, play basketball, ski, eat chocolate, drink soda, etc... Good thing I don't drink Coffee, huh? Take it easy!
Joy

Hi Joy,

Can't answer #1 & #2, but as for the others, I still do everything I did before my surgery: sports, working out, etc.
I gave up beer (not a bad thing), but still drink red wine. The key to your diet is consistency - eat whatever you normally do, but be consistent and don't binge on anything.
The only other advice that my cardiologist gave me was to avoid activities requiring the wearing of a helmet: autoracing, skydiving, bungee jumping, etc. For me that would include also skiing, since nobody ever accused me of looking like Jean-Claude Killy.

Mark

1)Is it normal to throw a clot with a tissue valve?
Anything is possible with any type of valve, so while I wouldn't say it's normal, it has happened in the past.

2)How long do you guys think I should be on it?
Your Doctor will probably keep you on it for 3 to 6 months. This is to prevent any new formations and to help reduce and dissolve any that may be there.

3)I am an avid chocolate eater/pepsi twist drinker
is this a bad thing
And your that skinny? :eek: J/K that shouldn't be problem at all. Just be consistant in all the things that you eat.

4)can I go downhill skiing while on coumadin?
You can do anything short of sword fighting or anything that's likely to make you cut and bleed. Common sense on this one.

See Al's site at www.warfarinfo.com for all your coumadin questions and if you have one that isn't listed, ask Al here and he'll get to it when he's on. :D

Hi Joy, I believe that other things can cause you to throw a clot, such as abnormal rhythm (afib, for example). The fact that you're being set up with a monitor tells me they want to examine your heart rhythm in detail.

I can't speak to how long you'll be on Coumadin, but I think you won't notice much impact on your lifestyle unless your diet has a lot of variation in vitamin K intake. Admittedly I've never had to do the Lovenox injections, but I imagine I would find that very challenging. Is that just temporary until the Coumadin takes hold?

Let me know how things go across the pond ;)

Johnny

Hi Joy,

Very sound advice the others gave. The key to Coumadin is consistency. Pepsi and chocolate shouldn't effect your levels.

You will need to monitor your dark green veggies. If you enjoy them, eat the same amount weekly and you shouldn't have a problem. I eat a few dinner sized iceberg salads weekly.

As far as throwing the clot, like Johnny mentioned maybe it's a rhythm concern. When I was doing research on valve types prior to my surgery..... concluded that there were other factors that could land me on Coumadin eventually, life A-Fib. This will most likely be the case as I age. There have been a few recorded minor episodes thus far. So I figured, might as well go with longevity of the mechanical.

Joy-

As others have said, the warfarin will likely be a semi non-issue if you are consistant in diet and level of exercise.

Downhill skiing is a little different. It depends on your skill, the kind of runs and the like. The closer it gets to being a "full body contact sport" the riskier it is. Lots of collisions, falls and bumps increase the risk of bleeding internally.

I would recommend not over tightening the bindings, as you probably know that increases the risk of nasty breaks in the legs.

I lived in snow country for a long time an a good friend was the ER doc. He said he could tell as spring approached and the slopes got sticky and wet slippery the compound fractures increased primarily because people were falling more and tightening their bindings to avoid the release and resetting of the skis. Of course, at some point when the bindings don't realease the next weaker point will have to fail. That is usually the bones in the leg, ugh. A compount fracture too far from medical attention could be a problem.

By defination, accidents are unexpected, unplanned and contraindicated for people being anticoagulated.

But, coumadin will not change your life all that much, except possibly prevent a stroke or worse.

Hang in there.
Bill

Hey guys, I do feel much better after talking to my coumadin nurse, I think her name is Gail, and she told me that they will adjust my coumadin levels to what i consistantly eat or drink. I haven't been skiing for years, so no biggy there. I have a call in to my cardio to see how long I will be on coumadin. Not really worried about anything else, but I am anxious to see what my INR is on monday...should be interesting. I am going to try to work with my insurance company to see if they will pay for a protime. I really think I would benefit from one! My therapeutic level is 2.0-3.0. Now the only med I worry about is my penicillin, because it makes me naseated. Also, I thought antibiotics affected your INR level too? I am taking 5mg of coumadin every day, and the lovenox I take a shot every day for 4 days. I have two more days of it just to make it so the coumadin can take it's affect, I guess. Wish me luck!
Joy

antibiotic vs. coumadin

antibiotic vs. coumadin

Hey Joy, didn't I read in one of your other posts that your antibiotic is long-term because of RF? This sounds like a consistant dosage that will always be present in your blood during testing, so it will be taken into account when your dosage is adjusted.

Hi Joy

I doubt the insurance will okay you for a Protime machine as your Coumadin use will only be temporary.
As for the Lovenox injections! That's something else! How does your stomach look right now?
Mine looked like it had been hit by a dumptruck. Black and blue all over. I guess it all depends on how you inject that needle. LOL!!
I never got it right.
BTW, the black & blue spots do go away eventually.

Be well.
Christina
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
Tucson, AZ

Coffee?

Coffee?

Nope, Beer, nope..Just limit 1 cup in a.m. 2 beers at night before dinner...I too have been taking 5 mg. for 8 months...Gave up skiing 10 years ago..Walk instead..a lot..How much chocolate do you eat a day? and how many Pepsi's..(In otherwords, how much caffiene)And you need to get the STRESS out of your life. I feel mine moves around when I'm uptight. (INR) Bonnie

Hi Joy....So sorry I haven't posted since I found out about you being in the hospital. It seems like I haven't had the time to do anything lately. Have been following your posts, though, and I'm sorry that you have to be on the coumadin. It's really NOT that bad, though.....very manageable, just like everyone says. Holidays for Tyce sent him up to 4.1, but we tested this morning and he's back to 2.8....consistency!! You will do fine on it. I agree that you probably won't be eligible for a protime because you'll only be on it short term, but that's between you and your insurance co. You have been in my thoughts, but i honestly haven't had a chance to jot a line to you to let you know I was thinking about you. You'll be fine, girlfriend.....

Evelyn

Joy

Joy

I changed my diet, so I could get into the therapeutic level with my coumadin, it took 2 months (post surgery), my results for this week will be in on Monday, then I will start adding those wonderful green veggies I love so much (if in range).

They do have booklets (re: coumadin) with all kinds of info about diet and etc, ask doc or pharmacy, they are helpful.

Clots are a problem, that was my worry when I was out-of-range.

Good luck,

terry40

Must be TIA week or something

Must be TIA week or something

INR came in this morning at 2.8 which surprised me as last night my index finger went numb and turned white. There apparantly was no circulation in that finger. It only lasted about 10 to 15 mins and the symptoms of numbness slowly went away. When I called in my INR this morning I mentioned this to the office and my doctor called me right back. He wanted to see me to listen to my valve to make sure it sounded alright. He thinks I threw a small clot and now I have to take two baby aspirin per day. He mentioned that even though a patient is anticoagulated, it can still happen that a clot can form. Guess I am lucky that it was a small one. Thank goodness---I am just too busy to get sick!

Gisele,
I am VERY interested in what your doctor has to say about the white index finger, since I have had the same thing. In fact, when I had my INR checked a week and a half ago, the nurse told me to see a doctor about it; she had to draw blood from my little finger. But I haven't really had it since, so I haven't gone to a doctor. "He thinks I threw a small clot" -- with the emphasis on the "thinks"? Or was there a more scientific test?
It has happened a few times that my index finger appears to empty of blood; it might be connected to the cold weather. It can take about the same fifteen minutes you mention of flexing it to get the blood back.

Jim,

Jim,

According to my cardiologist even though a patient is coagulated, a clot can occur. Forturnately for me he said it went to my finger. I don't believe it was related to the cold as I wasn't outdoors and it was just that one finger with numbness. Because the clot would have been so small there is no way for them to find it. He thought of ordereing an echo and various other tests but at this time (symptoms had resolved), he just wanted to listen to my valve to make sure it was opening and closing properly. There is no way to prove it was a clot but he strongly suspects that it was. If I have any more incidents of numbness I am to call him and would do a TEE. So for now I go on with life as usual and hope it doesn't happen again.

Have you mentioned your finger to a doctor? I would think that it is unlikely that you are throwing clots and they go each time to that same spot so there might be another problem such as circulation going on. It wouldn't hurt to mention it to your doctor especially if it is reoccuring.

Keep me posted.

Hey guys, I got my INR results back yesterday, and we were out looking at houses and stuff, but...It was 3.244, and my therapuetic range is 2.0-3.0. So I had to cut my dose in half for the next two days, and then go back to 5mg. I guess i will be on 30mg per week not 35. I go back friday to get it checked again. I was also told not to take the baby aspirin again until further notice. I also switched from pepsi twist to propel fitness water as my "drink of choice." I had a question about alcohol, though. TOday is my 5th wedding anniversary, and I was wondering if it would be Horrible if I were to have a couple of glasses of wine? SHould I call my cardio about this? Just wondering. Thanks for the help!
Joy

Have 2 glasses and no more. I don't mean tall boys either! :D

Happy Anniversary To The Both Of You! ;)

I got a bottle of wine for New Years Eve and have never opened it. Hmm, maybe I should have a glass in celebration too?

Last edited:
Thanks, Gisele, for the response. Sorry, Joy, for asking this question on your thread.
I haven't asked a doctor yet, even though the coumadin nurse told me to. My GP is a nice guy, but not too swift on diagnosis. I suppose that means a trip into the cardiologist; we'll see.

Latest posts

Back