New Technology for Aortic Dialation and Marfan

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vprnet

Is this the very near future to put into check aortic dialation with no cutting of the aorta or arteries required?

http://www.exstent.com/index.php

http://www.exstent.com/images/contentpage/downloads/Vol13_Num4_July-August_2006_p267-272.pdf

PS. I am not a medical professional or a doctor. My comments in this forum are my own opinion and are not intended to be given as medical or professional advise or a recommendation of any valve choice.

BAV diagnosed 1997
ON-X scheduled Dec 10
FDA ON-X PROACT Clinical Trail

If it works for Marfan folks, it should work for everyone. Guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I'm happy to see someone thinking outside the box.

I would think so also Ross.

I wrote them today and put these questions to them:

General application for checking aorta dilation?
Can it be applied concurrently during AVR?
UK trial duration and planned trial in the US?

Will post the answers.

PS. I am not a medical professional or a doctor. My comments in this forum are my own opinion and are not intended to be given as medical or professional advise or a recommendation of any valve choice.

BAV diagnosed 1997
ON-X scheduled Dec 10
FDA ON-X PROACT Clinical Trail

They usually do resections or replacements, but I'm sure some still do the wraps. For many years, aneurysms in the brain were wrapped in muslin to halt expansion. They use more advanced materials now, but the idea is the same.

Best wishes,

I know this is an old thread, but I recently emailed the Exstent people about the application of this wrap in BAV patients with ascending aortic aneurysms. Here's their response:

As EARS is entirely bespoke to each patient, it should be applicable to any form of aortic dilation including Bicuspid Aortic Valve patients who are also experiencing aortic dilation (typically above the aortic valve, I think).

We have already looked at at least one BAV patient, though, for other reasons, he was not suitable.

I will copy this email to Professor Pepper who may contact you.

Kind regards

Tal Golesworthy

C Eng MEI MRSC

Could be exciting for those of us who have pre-surgical aneurysms...if this has been demonstrated to prevent further dilation. I doubt it's available in the U.S. yet, though, so it might be an out-of-pocket procedure in the UK! Will talk with them and Stanford about it more.

--Equusz

Latest posts

Back