New Rx plan, New manufacturer, uh oh, maybe?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail in Ca

I just got my warfarin from our new Rx mail plan.It was automatically switched when I ordered my refill.
I have been on Barr brand warfarin for over 2 years and now received warfarin made by TARO.
Should I be concerned by this or just take it when I run out of the Barr brand and test my blood in 3 days or so? I could still get the Barr brand if I wanted to pay $10 a month supply at my local pharmacy or continue with this new one at $10 for 3 months supply. I know my coumadin nurse said that the binders are different and that may cause a slight change in inr.
What would you do?
Thanks,
Gail

It may cause a slight change in the INR, but it should not be enough to be dangerous. The all meet the same FDA standard. It will be a good idea to get checked 3 to 7 days after the switch - I'd lean more toward 7 days.

Ever since I was in the hospital I was being given Coumadin. Once I got home, my family doc called in a refill and I received the Barr brand Warifin. Once they knew what they did, they told me that you should stay on what you started with. I was talking to my Pharmacist last nite and she said that it can make your INR off by about 1%, but once you have switched over to another brand for a few days, the older brand is almost out of your system. I believe they just don't want you to keep going back and forth all the time, but I would still check with my doc if I were you.

Take Care!
Creed3

Among my clinic patients, probably 200 to 300 have switched from Coumadin to warfarin. Many had to pay $60 for the brand and $20 for the generic. Since most were retired they could not afford the brand.

I guess I am lucky. My mail order prescrption plan charges me for Coumadin as if it were a generic. I pay $10 for a 3 month supply of 5 mg tablets.

I am going to Las Vegas in 20 days. I won a trip, including hotel and airfare. How about some recommendations of places to eat and gamble? I will be staying on the strip.

Back