New Publication about Carbomedics

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I found this today on the National Library of Medicine's website. I have no idea how "unbiased" the author is but it was published in a peer-reviewed journal.

J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2004 Dec;45(6):531-4.

The Carbomedics aortic heart valve prosthesis: a review.

Aagaard J.

Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark.

The Carbomedics bileaflet mechanical prosthesis was introduced in 1986 and until now more than 500000 valves have been implanted. The aim of this study was to review the papers published on the Carbomedics aortic heart valve prosthesis. The Carbomedics prosthesis has a solid pyrolite carbon housing and flat leaflets of pyrolite carbon coated graphite that is impregnated with tungsten. The pyrolite carbon housing is reinforced by an outer stiffening ring composed of titanium which virtually eliminates the risk of leaflet escape. The design further enables valve rotation after implantation. The standard aortic valve prosthesis has the sewing cuff located at the outflow level of the valve cylinder. A high -performance valve the Carbomedics TopHat valve for supraannular implantation, is a standard aortic valve prosthesis where the sewing cuff has been transferred to the inflow level of the valve cylinder. A 2 size increase in valve size can be achieved by using the TopHat valve which is very important in patient-prosthesis mismatch. With the recommended international normalised ratio (INR) level for the Carbomedics aortic heart valve prosthesis the rate of embolic and bleeding events are low. Thrombosis of a Carbomedics aortic heart valve prosthesis is rarely seen and is the result of inappropriate anticoagulation without pannus formation. The incidence of prosthetic endocarditis is very low and this is also the case for noninfectious paravalvular leakage necessitating reoperation. Intrinsic dysfunction and/or structural failure has never been reported. The total absence of intrinsic dysfunction and structural failure of the Carbomedics aortic valve prosthesis is a great advantage. Further the complication rate is very low. The TopHat, the supraannular version of this prosthesis, is a perfect solution in patient-prosthesis mismatch.

Although I rarely think about the brand of my valve, it's nice to know it is a good one.( Carbomedic, that is). My surgeon said it would be carbomedic or st Judes, and I got carbomedic, which was his choice for the redo.
Gail

Thanks, Al.

Thanks, Al.

Guess this came in while we were out of town. I notice that this is on the aortic valve...............have you seen anything on the carbomedics mitral valve? I heard back from Katie's surgeon and he still wants to use the carbomedics for Katie's AV valve (mitral and tricuspid merged). He said that he didn't feel comfortable with the On-X as there are no independent studies, and he personally has years of follow-up with the carbomedics...............so, I don't know whether to push the issue or not. :confused: This study makes me feel better, but a thumbs up one about the carbomedics in the mitral valve position would make me feel better. Oh, and we have a date of July 12th. :eek: UGH! Thanks so much, Janet

There are some other articles, but nothing very definitive. What it boils down to is that there is no reason to avoid the Carbomedics valve. It looks like complications shortly after surgery depend on the skill of the surgeon and complications over time are related to the valve. But if there is a valve that is clearly better, is unknown because they haven't been around long enough for many of these children to reach adulthood. So there is no good data beyond about 10 years.

Thanks, Al, again!

Thanks, Al, again!

I appreciate you trying to set my fears to rest...........as best they can be. STill, if you happen to stumble across anything else on carbomedics' valves, I will have my eyes wide open. :eek: Thanks again. Hugs. J.

Latest posts

Back