New PR rock-climbing and it's post surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

I'm 11 months post MV replacement.

I've been climbing at a fairly casual level for a long time. In the US, rock climbs are graded from 5.1 to 5.15. This past Saturday, I climbed my first 5.9+ cleanly (no falls) including my time pre and post surgery.

Strength comes back faster than cardio endurance. I'm weight-lifting pretty well and climbing pretty well but still can't run very fast. Improving but still struggling to maintain a 9 min/mile pace.

I am blessed in many ways.

John

Climbing

Climbing

Hi John,

It's good to hear that you're back doing an activity you love. Regular climbing and the associated exercise will definately get you back in shape.

A fall in Wyoming back in the early eighties and the broken knees that resulted pretty much ended my climbing career. I also had to agree to never engage in climbing activities again when I got married. My wife frequently regrets not having more activities on that "banned after marriage" list.

I remember asking my cardiologist about restrictions on activities I enjoy following my AVR surgery a little over a year ago. He laughed and commented that the whole point of AVR surgery was to be able to continue living a normal life and that any activities which were a part of my life prior to surgery should be a part following surgery. Essentially, he encouraged me to do whatever activities I wanted to pursue. I liked his perspective.

Good luck with the climbing.

-Philip

John....sounds good, everything will come back in time. I never could figure out why somebody would want to sweat and claw themselves up a rock face when they could take a leisurely walk in a cow pasture and chase a little ball.:p :D

Rock Climbing after surgery

Rock Climbing after surgery

Hello All,

i have not had surgery, but i may have to in the future. I have been climbing for 4 years now and i luv it. so it is very encouraging to hear that i should be able to keep doin all my outdoor activities. thanks for the encouraging words.:)

Back