new poll - a silly one

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eraser user

eraser user

Yeah, I still use erasers. I'm a programmer, but I like to do my rough work on paper. I'll print out the program I'm working on, then write and erase until it's just write. Then I'll put it into the computer...

Eraser Secrets

Eraser Secrets

Here are some unconventional uses for a pencil eraser I've discovered over the years:

--got a smudge on your painted wall? Erase it lightly;
--got a burn mark on your wood furniture? Carefully erase it down to the bare wood, then use a touch-up of stain and varnish;
--you can erase paper money (you can rub out George Washington on a one dollar bill, and replace it with another picture using your computer printer);
--you can create interesting effects in art with oil pastels blended with a pencil eraser;
--you can "erase" surface food stains from clothing;
--got a tiny rust spot on your car from a rock ding? Erase it! Then apply a small dab of touch-up paint.

Oh, be careful what you do erasing money, it rubs Uncle Sam the wrong way!

--John

I'm with Nancy. Those white erasers are the best. I have about four floating around. This January I started doing the Sunday Crossword of the New York Times, in an attempt to compete with my mother and aunt and uncle, and I had to dig them out. They were pretty much required in engineering school: HP calculator, mechanical pencil, container of thin lead, and the big white eraser....

I know all about you, Terry - my dear Joe was an accountant and he had those great big rubber erasers - even had a New York name for them, but I can't remember what it is. I hadn't ever heard the term before. He couldn't live without them.

I'm not familiar with the name you are searching for. I do like the white erasers, especially the round push down ones in a holder like a pencil.

Side Bar:
In this wonderful age of computer marvels, I have renamed the pencil (the ones with erasers on top) as "Manual Word Processors". Just thought you'd all get a kick out of this.

Last edited:
The first word processor I remember seeing was called "Electric Pencil" written by a genius of a guy back when if you had a computer you had probably built it from a kit. His name was Peter McWilliams, I think.

Pretty appropriate huh "electric pencil" put it down, pick it up, erases it, copies, formats, etc.

Latest posts

Back