New Member Intro

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to say Welcome. It sounds like your husband will be in very good hands with the surgeon - and with you!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for the all the new welcomes!

Ross...I have been to Al's website already. Lots to read. I am still making my way through it. Checked out the other website too which I had not been to. Thanks for the links!

Scott...I actually grew up a Mets fan. I grew up in Coney Island and lived there (and in Brighton Beach) until I got married. My dad was a Giants fan and then become a big Mets fan. I was really sad when they took down the orange and blue squares on the outside of Shea Stadium (of course the whole stadium is gone now too). To me that was Shea Stadium and I spent lots of afternoons there in the late 60s and early 70s (the glory days of the Mets!). David is a die-hard Yankee fan but he is not a Met-hater (nor is he a Red Sox-hater). He will root for the Mets as long as they aren't playing the Yankees!

Jim...thank you for your good wishes. They mean a lot.

And Karlynn...thank you for the nice compliment about David being in good hands with me!

We are now going to meet with the surgeon tomorrow (instead of Wednesday) so that we can try to get the surgery scheduled for this Friday.

Nadine

Nadine...

Welcome to the forum your going to find a wealth of information and support on this site. If you guys do go with the On-X valve I think your going to be very happy. I had a bicuspid valve with severe stenosis also. I was fortunate that I had no other issues. I had my surgery about 18 months ago and am doing extremely well. Physically I can do so much more now. Prior to the surgery I had chest pain and SOB with moderate exertion. Now I can go flat out with everything I do and I have no issues. I run (when its not boiling outside), play full court basketball, and do conditioning classes a couple times a week. Coumadin is a no-brainer in my opinion, biggest issue is simply remembering to take it.
Im originally from New York but live in Ohio now. Can't speak to Columbia Presbyterian but everything I have heard is teriffic so I think your both in great hands.
Im sure your husband is a great guy but Yankees fan ? ugh.... Tell your husband that there is a Mets fan (yeah we stink this year) who is pulling for him but who think he really needs to rethink his baseball allegiance :)
Scott, I grew up when the Yankees were the worst team in baseball (mid '60s) so all I had was the history, which is so rich. Best pitcher I ever saw in my life...Tom Seaver. Two of the most gracious men I ever met in my quests for autographs...Ron Swaboda & Jerry Koosman. So I'm not all bad!

Thank you all to each & every one of you who have welcomed us to this site. I have a lot to learn, & I feel I am in very good hands, not just the Doctors, but to be around caring individuals such as yourselves who would take a few moments out of your life to help others. Nadine & I appreciate it more than you know, & hopefully we'll be able to do the same for others along the way.
She's been doing most of the legwork at this point, as I'm trying to wrap up things at my job, but I'll be here, plenty.
I look forward to getting to know you as the time passes, especially Scott, the Mets fan. By the way Scott, although it is pretty easy being a Yankee fan, my favorite football team has always been the Green & White of the Jets, so I also know what it's like to live in a world of pain when it comes to my sports teams!

David...

Glad to see you decided to post. There are so many wonderful folks on this site that have seen it all from a heart surgery perspective. There are folks here that are 50 years removed from surgery and still going strong. It just floors me to see the spirit, compassion, and genuine concern that these folks have for absolute strangers. Really very inspiring and re-affirms that there is still kindness in this world. Any questions you have don't hesistate to post em. I know I remember posting early on about a gurgling sound in my chest (pre-op), of course it was my stomach but I didn't know ! I was so freaked out. I never had a surgery before of any kind and then my first is OHS !! I was such a baby, posting every little ache and pain and the feedback I got was always re-assuring and encouraging.

Yankees AND Jets ? Ugh. Ive been a Mets fan all my life, grew up watching Bud Harrelson, Jerry Groate, and Felix Millan (remember him ?). My grandfather used to take me to games at Shea where all of 4,000 people would show up. I have an autographed Tom Seaver ball and it is my pride and joy. I've never been a Yankee fan but I will give it up to Derek Jeter, best shortstop ever, any team in my opinion. Football season isn't too far off and my nephew has season tickets to the Giants. Im a Big Blue diehard, not too many of them here in Ohio. I've got dibs on the Eagles or Cowboys game with my nephew. He is gonna let me pick ! But I do root for the Jets in the AFC, you guys have suffered a long time with crap teams.

Hello Nadine and David,glad you could make it here,sorry for the reason
but so happy you came and joined vr and can learn so much here.
WELCOME and see you in the posts:)

Welcome Nadine and David,

Wishing you all the best through this journey. It sounds like you have everything lined up and good family support.

I went to college in Mahwah (lived near Ringwood) and used to eat all the time at Tawara Japanese restaurant in Ramsey - do you know if it is still operating? Had a lot of sushi take out from them when I was an in-patient at Valley Hospital. I really miss all the great shopping in that area.

Hi Gina,

Thank you for the welcome and the good wishes!

Yes, I'm pretty sure that Tawara is still there (it's in the strip mall at the end of Main Street, right?). David and two of my daughters are really into sushi and I had heard that Tawara was really good but we have never tried it. We usually just get sushi from Shoprite! Will have to check it out.

I'm assuming you went to Ramapo College. How long have you been in Ohio? Do you ever get back to NJ? Yes, there certainly is a lot of great shopping around here. My teenage daughters love it but not so much me - I try to tell them that money doesn't grow on trees (which we also have a lot of around here!) but they still don't believe it!

Nadine

David and Nadine --

I will add yet another note of "welcome"! My story is similar to Freddie's. I had just had AVR surgery in April at age 41, and went with a mechanical valve. Coumadin has had no impact on my lifestyle, and I am back to doing everything I did before surgery, including riding my Harley.

The dosage has been a bit of a challenge to get dialed-in, but not a huge deal. Just weekly PT/INR tests and dosage adjustments. Testing less frequent over time (I am now at every 2 weeks).

Good luck and hang in there!

Hi Gina,

Thank you for the welcome and the good wishes!

Yes, I'm pretty sure that Tawara is still there (it's in the strip mall at the end of Main Street, right?). David and two of my daughters are really into sushi and I had heard that Tawara was really good but we have never tried it. We usually just get sushi from Shoprite! Will have to check it out.

I'm assuming you went to Ramapo College. How long have you been in Ohio? Do you ever get back to NJ? Yes, there certainly is a lot of great shopping around here. My teenage daughters love it but not so much me - I try to tell them that money doesn't grow on trees (which we also have a lot of around here!) but they still don't believe it!

Nadine
Hi Nadine,
Yes, I went to Ramapo - great school. I have been back in Ohio (grew up here) for 22 years. I lived in NJ for 10. Chris' (my SO) mom still lives in NJ (in Madison) and I stay in touch with my old neighbors so I get there occasionally. We have been talking about coming next month. You should definitely check out Tawara. It has been a few years since we were there so I guess it could have changed but places don't stay open unless they stay good.

Latest posts

Back