New member intro! Aorta replacement scheduled for Oct 9

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekmagika

Good morning, all!

54yo male here, living with my fiancee, three step-kids, and a menagerie of animals (geese, chickens, cats, a dog, guinea pig, and fish!) in Dayton, OH.

I was diagnosed about eight years ago with Bicuspid Aortic Valve Disease and an Aortic Aneurysm. We've been keeping an eye on its growth over the years, and things have remained stable. But during my last visit with my cardiac surgeon, he let me know that the guidelines had changed recently and, as a result, the diameter of the aneurysm (which remained below the threshold) was now just above the threshold where they recommend replacement.

Went in for my heart cath last Tuesday and, other than the bum aorta, everything else looked good. No issues with high blood pressure or cholesterol or anything like that. We've scheduled the actual surgery for October 9.

Hoping to find some useful info and post-surgery stories from others here. Thanks for letting me join! And good luck to those on the same path (which I suppose must be most of you, else, why would you be here?)

Welcome aboard from a fellow newbie. I haven't kept up with the latest procedures so unsure if an aorta replacement is as invasive as my mitral repair. I'm sure the surgeons have gone over the practical details, how they're going in and what's involved with recovery.

Speaking only to my surgery experience, I was 29 when I received my mechanical valve. Today marks 27 years since I went in to the OR so the surgeons seemed to have known what they were doing. I did have internal bleeding post-op, and a lost weekend as they tried to correct the problem, but otherwise no issues following surgery and recovery. And I have a kewl scar to show off (vitamin E did nothing to reduce the appearance for me).

The memories that stand out are the number of tubes they removed from me post-op (while I was conscious) and the pain for a few weeks every time I moved. A volunteer organization provided a "cough pillow" (shaped like a heart) which was invaluable and perfectly described. I always kept that nearby and clutched it to my chest whenever I felt a cough coming on. Sleeping was difficult as I had to find the right position and force myself to stay in it. Sleeping on the couch seemed to help and prevented my wife from accidentally swinging her arm onto me while asleep (or punching me while having a nightmare). I was able to return to "normal" activities about two months after surgery.

The surgery did leave scarring of my sinoatrial node which, after 25+ years, threw my rhythm off and was causing excessively-long pauses. Got a pacemaker this year and everything seems back to normal (or even better than normal). Recently had a trip to Asia (not my first) where we hiked several mountains and very long distances; No issues and definitely a good cardio workout. Less interesting, mowing the yard and gardening or going for short runs/long walks is a breeze.

There's no sugar coating the recovery period, it's a bear. If you'll be on Warfarin then that's a whole different level of commitment and watching your diet. It's all part of the process but you only have to do it for the rest of your life.

For me though, it's like a second chance and I definitely appreciate every day and take nothing for granted. You obviously have a lot to look forward to and many people (and animals) who love and depend on you. Just take it slow at first, every day you'll get a little better until you'll reach a point where you forget you even had surgery.

Hope everything goes smoothly and you have a quick recovery!

Welcome Tek, sorry you are here but glad to see you reaching out to this helpful group. You do have some choices to make regarding your valve choices. Native valve sparing, mechanical and bio to name the most common. The aneurysm repair and replacement is something you definitely want done by an experienced team. You didn’t mention where you are having surgery but If you have access to the Cleveland Clinic, you may want to get an opinion from them. Lots of experience on this forum. If you have specific questions, please let us know.

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cardiology-and-heart-surgery

Welcome
Hoping to find some useful info and post-surgery stories from others here. Thanks for letting me join! And good luck to those on the same path (which I suppose must be most of you, else, why would you be here?)
plenty of good information here ... I hope you find it.

Easiest way however is ask specific questions and you'll get answers (sometimes conflicting) ;-)

(which I suppose must be most of you, else, why would you be here?)

actually I'd say most of us are already through it and are here because they want to try to help. A site filled with newbies wouldn't be very informative because that would be the blind leading the blind. Instead we have a site with many veterans who can point out things (including how to actually read and interpret what "information" you may find on the internet).
A worthwhile read (and watch)

https://www.valvereplacement.org/threads/i-did-my-own-research-a-great-guide.889239/
Best Wishes

Welcome tekmagika. I think you will find a good cross-section of newly diagnosed patients, new post-surgery patients, and a lot of folks with many years of experience with life and living after OHS. This surgery prompts a lot of questions.......all of which have been experienced by others who have preceded you.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard from a fellow newbie. I haven't kept up with the latest procedures so unsure if an aorta replacement is as invasive as my mitral repair. I'm sure the surgeons have gone over the practical details, how they're going in and what's involved with recovery.

Speaking only to my surgery experience, I was 29 when I received my mechanical valve. Today marks 27 years since I went in to the OR so the surgeons seemed to have known what they were doing. I did have internal bleeding post-op, and a lost weekend as they tried to correct the problem, but otherwise no issues following surgery and recovery. And I have a kewl scar to show off (vitamin E did nothing to reduce the appearance for me).

The memories that stand out are the number of tubes they removed from me post-op (while I was conscious) and the pain for a few weeks every time I moved. A volunteer organization provided a "cough pillow" (shaped like a heart) which was invaluable and perfectly described. I always kept that nearby and clutched it to my chest whenever I felt a cough coming on. Sleeping was difficult as I had to find the right position and force myself to stay in it. Sleeping on the couch seemed to help and prevented my wife from accidentally swinging her arm onto me while asleep (or punching me while having a nightmare). I was able to return to "normal" activities about two months after surgery.

The surgery did leave scarring of my sinoatrial node which, after 25+ years, threw my rhythm off and was causing excessively-long pauses. Got a pacemaker this year and everything seems back to normal (or even better than normal). Recently had a trip to Asia (not my first) where we hiked several mountains and very long distances; No issues and definitely a good cardio workout. Less interesting, mowing the yard and gardening or going for short runs/long walks is a breeze.

There's no sugar coating the recovery period, it's a bear. If you'll be on Warfarin then that's a whole different level of commitment and watching your diet. It's all part of the process but you only have to do it for the rest of your life.

For me though, it's like a second chance and I definitely appreciate every day and take nothing for granted. You obviously have a lot to look forward to and many people (and animals) who love and depend on you. Just take it slow at first, every day you'll get a little better until you'll reach a point where you forget you even had surgery.

Hope everything goes smoothly and you have a quick recovery!
When they replace the aortic valve, they open your chest and lay the heart on the chest, then they remove the defective valve and replace with the mechanical valve, then close you up, all the while you are on the heart and lung machine.

Tekmagika, welcome to this site. I just had my ascending aorta replaced in Feb. 2022 at 58. I had a homograft that was 21 years old and still kicking, but it was replaced also as a precaution due to its age. I was in the hospital for a week but I did well recovering from this. Some of my family thought I recovered quicker than I did 21 years earlier. My surgeon described how my body would be cooled to 65 degrees as if it was a walk in the park. Fortunately, I recovered well and had no significant issues. One small piece of advice as you recover in the hospital. The nurses will push you to get up and walk the room and the hallway - DO IT! I was told how many people fight this and don't recover well or as quickly. I pushed myself and I think it really helped. Good luck with your surgery - the good heart surgeons know how to do this quite well.

Good morning, all!

54yo male here, living with my fiancee, three step-kids, and a menagerie of animals (geese, chickens, cats, a dog, guinea pig, and fish!) in Dayton, OH.

I was diagnosed about eight years ago with Bicuspid Aortic Valve Disease and an Aortic Aneurysm. We've been keeping an eye on its growth over the years, and things have remained stable. But during my last visit with my cardiac surgeon, he let me know that the guidelines had changed recently and, as a result, the diameter of the aneurysm (which remained below the threshold) was now just above the threshold where they recommend replacement.

Went in for my heart cath last Tuesday and, other than the bum aorta, everything else looked good. No issues with high blood pressure or cholesterol or anything like that. We've scheduled the actual surgery for October 9.

I'm just down the road in Columbus, and had my OHS back on May 23 up at the Clinic. I sought a second opinion from them, and am very glad I chose to have my surgery there. I'm happy to answer any questions about that experience.
I had both my mitral and aortic valves replaced with mechanical after a previous aortic valve homograft.
Similar story to yours, 43 with kids, otherwise healthy. Recovery was tough, I was in the hospital for 9 days. Had a few minor setbacks; afib, pleural effusion, etc... First 2 days in ICU was very difficult, but as soon as the chest tubes start coming out the pain reduces substantially. I developed pneumonia after being home less than a week, but antibiotics were quickly effective. All in all, I was back to work part time after 4 weeks and full time after 6 (my choice). I feel great now, and to be honest it seems like a lifetime ago, despite it being only 3.5 months.

If I had to do it over, I wouldn't change much. I'd 100% go back to the Clinic. There are several hotels close by that are designed for family to stay in while a loved one is in the hospital. We split an air bnb that was close by so there was a home base for folks to drop in and stay, etc..
Have a wedge pillow at home, have a shower stool, shave your arms totally before surgery (tape sucks coming off!) Get a pill organizer, set up a phone tree to keep friends and family updated without you or your fiancee being inundated with calls and texts, be prepared not to poop for who knows how long :).

You got this!

When they replace the aortic valve, they open your chest and lay the heart on the chest, then they remove the defective valve and replace with the mechanical valve, then close you up, all the while you are on the heart and lung machine.

That happened to me - they closed me up and FORGOT to put my heart back in my chest b4 doing that!

When I woke up in intensive care I had to ask what that bloody thing was sitting on top of me. OOPS! They paged Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, and Dr Howard who took me back to the OR, opened me up again put my heart back in my chest this time B4 closing me up.

Of course they left a stethoscope in there but I told them to just leave it, I didn't mind it clanging when I moved around....

:)

1694198748010.png

When they replace the aortic valve, they open your chest and lay the heart on the chest,
Fascinating. I never paid much attention to how they physically did the surgery. So, in taking the heart out and putting it on your chest, that must involve disconnecting not only the aorta, but also the superior vena cava, the inferior vena cava, the pulmonary artery, the pulmonary veins and the coronary arteries? And then re-attach them all when they put it back in? I had no idea. Or, do we come built with a certain amount of slack in said arteries and veins, such that they just need to give a good tug and can then move the heart a few inches out and onto the chest?

Fascinating. I never paid much attention to how they physically did the surgery. So, in taking the heart out and putting it on your chest, that must involve disconnecting not only the aorta, but also the superior vena cava, the inferior vena cava, the pulmonary artery, the pulmonary veins and the coronary arteries? And then re-attach them all when they put it back in? I had no idea. Or, do we come built with a certain amount of slack in said arteries and veins, such that they just need to give a good tug and can then move the heart a few inches out and onto the c
For those who had the aortic valve replaced. I was told by a friend who went got hers done before min, said they filmed her surgery and it was wow!.

For those who had the aortic valve replaced. I was told by a friend who went got hers done before min, said they filmed her surgery and it was wow!.
Sounds like a misinterpretation. The chest is open in OHS to start with (*). And there is not that much "slack" to move the heart around. Besides the blood vessels, there are nerves connected as well.

(*) I really think OHS should've been called "Open Chest Surgery". Would've been a lot more accurate.

Sounds like a misinterpretation. The chest is open in OHS to start with (*). And there is not that much "slack" to move the heart around. Besides the blood vessels, there are nerves connected as well.

(*) I really think OHS should've been called "Open Chest Surgery". Would've been a lot more accurate.
Not a misinterpretation. You rudely mixed me up with someone else on the board. Bye and be nicer on the board.

Not a misinterpretation. You rudely mixed me up with someone else on the board. Bye and be nicer on the board.
It was your statement that the heart is placed on the chest during the surgery. And your only support for it was your friend being emotionally impressed from watching the surgery video. I'm just saying that neither the statement, nor the supporting reasoning make any sense to me.

Please feel free to correct, but a blank statement "not a misinterpretation" is not going to convince me of anything.

Anybody can make a wrong statement, btw. My post wasn't meant to be personal, and I wish you did not take it this way.

Last edited:
Hoping to find some useful info and post-surgery stories from others here
well by now you've also found out that this place is a bit more "Flying Circus" than you may have expected.

This could easily be re-written as "how the general public sees open heart surgery"

Personally I used to joke with my surgeon (when he chided me gently about my penchant for riding motorcycles) that my homograft may well have come from a motorcycle accident.

Open chest surgery is accurate for a bypass or other surgery that doesn’t involve actually performing surgery inside the heart where a surgeon is removing, replacing or repairing a heart valve.

Back