New member in a club I didn't really want to join!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD Surfer

But certainly glad I did, given the alternatives. :oops:

Hi all, I'm Bruce. Just had open heart surgery @ 61 on November 27th to replace the bicuspid aortic valve they discovered in 2016, and he threw in a new Aortic root for good measure while he was in there.

My wife coincidentally is a coordinator for the Cardiology Fellowship program in the UC system and has close working relationships with the Dr.'s, their assistants, scheduling people, etc. which proved to be an invaluable resource... kinda' got me VIP treatment.

Recovery WAS going as smoothly as I could've hoped, but I apparently overdid it on Sunday doing some repairs on my RV... nothing super strenuous but put myself in awkward positions and now some of my muscles are not real happy with me. Hopefully this will pass soon.

Needs to get better soon as I have a weekend surf trip with the boys in a few weeks! Getting back in the water is the one thing left to get back to my normal life.

I surfed the day before my surgery, and I think this is the longest I've ever been dry-docked since I was 13!

20231126_121731.jpg
20231126_121859.jpg
20231126_121200.jpg
DSC_0169.JPG
20231203_192734.jpg
20231207_084743.jpg

Hey Bruce, welcome
Hi all, I'm Bruce. Just had open heart surgery @ 61 on November 27th to replace the bicuspid aortic valve they discovered in 2016, and he threw in a new Aortic root for good measure while he was in there
So you got the two for one offer, that's great.

Welcome to the club

Good non-confusing name too

Best wishes

Welcome Bruce!
Had my surgery aged 61, too, back in 2019.
Nice to see the image uploads. Lovely.
All the best with your continuing recovery… and onwards to good surfing!

Bruce - I'm glad you're doing well! Please be very careful as you get back into the water. Your strength, balance, and endurance will be much less than before your surgery. Start slow and gradually work your way up. I had my open heart surgery on Sep 14th, and I'm still weak. I make progress with every workout, but it takes time to recover.

But certainly glad I did, given the alternatives. :oops:

Hi all, I'm Bruce. Just had open heart surgery @ 61 on November 27th to replace the bicuspid aortic valve they discovered in 2016, and he threw in a new Aortic root for good measure while he was in there.

My wife coincidentally is a coordinator for the Cardiology Fellowship program in the UC system and has close working relationships with the Dr.'s, their assistants, scheduling people, etc. which proved to be an invaluable resource... kinda' got me VIP treatment.

Recovery WAS going as smoothly as I could've hoped, but I apparently overdid it on Sunday doing some repairs on my RV... nothing super strenuous but put myself in awkward positions and now some of my muscles are not real happy with me. Hopefully this will pass soon.

Needs to get better soon as I have a weekend surf trip with the boys in a few weeks! Getting back in the water is the one thing left to get back to my normal life.

I surfed the day before my surgery, and I think this is the longest I've ever been dry-docked since I was 13!

View attachment 889924View attachment 889925View attachment 889926View attachment 889927View attachment 889928View attachment 889929
You just had surgery; you were told to take it easy for a few weeks. You have a year for the chest to heal completely. Now you know why you have the heart pillow. Just take it easy, if you have sons, have them do the auto repairs. Good luck and take it easy for a few weeks.

Welcome to the forum Bruce!

Yes, the club that no one wants to join. Still, we're glad that you found us.

I had my surgury about 3 years ago at age 53. Similar operation to yours- BAV replacement, my aortic root and ascending aorta also.

Bruce - I'm glad you're doing well! Please be very careful as you get back into the water. Your strength, balance, and endurance will be much less than before your surgery. Start slow and gradually work your way up. I had my open heart surgery on Sep 14th, and I'm still weak. I make progress with every workout, but it takes time to recover.
Yeah my plan is to just take one of my boards (I have one that's a soft foam board,rather than traditional fiberglass) and just paddle along the shoreline in the bay, so no waves to contend with.
Just loosen up the paddling muscles and see how the chest feels laying on the board.

I've been using the Bosu Ball a lot at my cardiac rehab appointments, doing squats on the ball holding a weight, and the balance is feeling pretty good.

1708710157955.jpeg

The first couple of surfs will be on nice small days, I'm not a big wave guy anymore anyway but even when it's only head high you can still get tumbled pretty good, so I'll pick a really small day for my return. Something like the pic (That's the plan anyway)

DSC_0085.JPG

Welcome to the club.

One of your photos was unbelievable -- I thought that seagulls only flew around McDonald's and other fast food restaurants.

They actually have some near the ocean?

Who knew?
Well sure, who doesn't like a nice day at the beach?!

Been surfing so long I've developed a bond with them, some days I have 'em eating right outta' my hand!

Not everyone can achieve this special "Gull Whisperer" connection... you basically have to stand there with food in your hand. (and be willing to possibly have your fingers nipped once in awhile.) They're pretty amazing flyers, and can usually take the Cheez-It without touching your fingers, but once in awhile they miss.
:cautious:
20240131_132509.jpg

20240131_132434.jpg

I used to take my wife to a small beach area called Channel Islands Harbor - you could see a group of small islands a few miles away. The land jutted into this area, and there was a small community built onto it.
I got her lobster, and got myself fish and chips. There was a parking lot about a mile in, and it was fun to take my fries, throw them in the air, and watch the seagulls fly to grab them in their beaks. These birds were awfully good at it.

One of the residents told me to stop feeding the birds -- their, uh, 'droppings' were polluting the water - I guess that enough of 'outsiders' also liked feeding the birds. I didn't toss another fry after learning about the problem.

I used to feed peanuts to Blue Jays - I'd hold the peanuts in my palm - or between finger and thumb - and the brave ones would take them out of my hand or fingers.

Because of a flood in my house, my wife and I have been stuck in a hotel - for 7 months - and I go to the house to check the restoration. The birds that I used to feed haven't forgotten me -- they still come around when they see me -- and when we finally get back into the house, I'll start feeding them again.

Soon -- I hope.

I used to feed peanuts to Blue Jays - I'd hold the peanuts in my palm - or between finger and thumb - and the brave ones would take them out of my hand or fingers.

Because of a flood in my house, my wife and I have been stuck in a hotel - for 7 months - and I go to the house to check the restoration. The birds that I used to feed haven't forgotten me -- they still come around when they see me -- and when we finally get back into the house, I'll start feeding them again.

Soon -- I hope.

Blue Jay Dad.jpg

Okay, that story made me smile. That's ^^^ my dear old Dad on his front porch with the Jay who adopted him sitting on his lap waiting for more peanuts.

Started with Dad putting peanuts out for them, then gradually putting them closer to where he stood, eventually taking them from his hand, and finally to the point that if Dad didn't have them out early enough in the morning, when he opened the door this guy would hop inside like "Hey Mister, you're late!"

He would swoop down and take them from the hand of Mom and I, but as you can see the bond between him and Dad was a bit deeper.

Shortly after Dad passed my wife and I were camping in Santa Barbara.

As we were setting up camp there was a Jay coming in and out of our campsite, and I realized I had a can of mixed nuts so I tossed some out for him.
On a whim I stood there with some Cashews in my hand, more as just a remembrance of Dad than actually expecting the Jay would trust me enough to take them.

Blue Jay Me.jpg

My wife and I both said at the same time "Awww, it's Dad coming to say hi!"

So now whenever we see Jays in our campsites (which is often) that's always what we think of. 🐦💞

That's a great story.

I have a Robin that my wife insists knows me. I have a couple birds that I rescued when they fell into my swimming pool. They're probably long gone, but their grandbirds probably still come around.

My favorite memory is back decades ago, when my dad for some reason had pigeons. They were apparently extra pretty, or something.

One of them got out. He saw it and put bird seed in his palm. He stood for what seemed like HOURS with his arm up and hand open. I don't know HOW he could have kept his arm frozen for that long.

Eventually, the bird returned to his palm and he quickly snagged it.

----

The Blue Jays used to call to me to come out and feed them. They'd keep an eye out for me when I came outside. I'll have to try your dad's technique to get a Blue Jay buddy who comes to me for peanuts.

That's a great story.

I have a Robin that my wife insists knows me. I have a couple birds that I rescued when they fell into my swimming pool. They're probably long gone, but their grandbirds probably still come around.

My favorite memory is back decades ago, when my dad for some reason had pigeons. They were apparently extra pretty, or something.

One of them got out. He saw it and put bird seed in his palm. He stood for what seemed like HOURS with his arm up and hand open. I don't know HOW he could have kept his arm frozen for that long.

Eventually, the bird returned to his palm and he quickly snagged it.

----

The Blue Jays used to call to me to come out and feed them. They'd keep an eye out for me when I came outside. I'll have to try your dad's technique to get a Blue Jay buddy who comes to me for peanuts.
It was fun watching the Jays, after they'd grab a peanut they'd fly up on the bank and peck, peck, peck it into the ground for safekeeping, then come back for another.

Sounds as though our Fathers had somewhat kindred souls. If so, you're a lucky man.

My Jays flew to a fence and pecked the peanuts till they cracked, then ate the 'nuts' inside. My dad had vision problems during this time, and went totally blind when I was young. My mother taught me to throw (I threw 'like a girl' - from the elbow, instead of the shoulder). I missed a lot that he could have taught me -- but his patience in catching that pigeon was impressive. (These were homing pigeons with a lousy sense of direction).

Well sure, who doesn't like a nice day at the beach?!

Been surfing so long I've developed a bond with them, some days I have 'em eating right outta' my hand!

Not everyone can achieve this special "Gull Whisperer" connection... you basically have to stand there with food in your hand. (and be willing to possibly have your fingers nipped once in awhile.) They're pretty amazing flyers, and can usually take the Cheez-It without touching your fingers, but once in awhile they miss.
:cautious:
View attachment 889934
View attachment 889935

Looks like from the photos those are WHITE CHEDDAR cheeze-zits! Yummm...

Oh & here's a welcome to the bionic heart club from Joe Walsh:

In
Looks like from the photos those are WHITE CHEDDAR cheeze-zits! Yummm...

Oh & here's a welcome to the bionic heart club from Joe Walsh:

Indeed they are! Don't tell the nutritionist at my cardiac rehab, but I'm actually eating one of the little snack size bags of them right now! :ROFLMAO:

I'm addicted to those! The regular ones don't do much for me but the white cheddars are to die for.

Please keep handing those out to the seagulls - think I'll come back as one in the next life and head out to SD. I'll be eating out of your hand. Will do some tricks so you'll know it's me!!

Latest posts

Back