New heart Surgery Patient.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I understand that. I biggest fear with the mechanical valves is that I would have the constant worrying about the blood thinners medication and the risk of internal bleeding if I were to slip and fall or bump my head.

I would not let that worry you. Is it a possible concern? Sure I guess. What are the odds of a serious bleed event from a blow to the head - I don't know.

I can only say that I had not one but two very significant blows to my head at my job while working in a factory hell hole. Both occurred the same way - my walking into an overhang of a large machine that I did not realize was there. Both times I was knocked to the (cement) floor. Both times it hurt like hell. Both times I had to catch my breath while on my knees as I struggled to keep my wits about me through the pain. Both times I was unable to stand up for like 3-5 minutes. Both times I probably should have gone to the hospital as a precaution since I'm on warfarin but both times I did not do that because if I did I would have been fired. Both times I had a bad lump on my head that I had to ice down. Both times nothing happened relating to a brain bleed (that I knew of anyway). Maybe I just have a hard noggin', I dunno....

its entirely possible that its soft ... pillows don't break in a fall, but glass does.

;-)

I dunno about that. I left quite a dent in the overhang of both of those machines I headbutted!

But seriously, I was able to get Management to install some soft padding over parts of those overhangs although it took awhile. Still dangerous but not nearly as dangerous as what I banged into. Someone could easily split their skulls open on those overhangs whether on warfarin or not.

I dreamt of extremely nonsensical situations such as being stranded on a deserted island for months and how I would manage without warfarin if I had a mechanical valve etc etc
I like that you acknowledge some of the fears are nonsensical. But overall this does bring up one of the more important, yet overlooked decision factors in valve choice.

The old, “sleep at night” test. Rational or not, sometimes we have to do what makes us the most comfortable, regardless of the data. And sometimes the data is ambiguous. And sometimes things do or don’t work out regardless of what the data says should happen.

I dreamt of extremely nonsensical situations such as being stranded on a deserted island for months and how I would manage without warfarin if I had a mechanical valve etc etc

I guess that anything is possible, when we use our imaginations. But, it seems like there might be a few other things to worry about in said situation.

1696513983903.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back