New and Confused

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a BAV and am pre-op but at this point I don't know when. My consult with the surgeon is in 2 weeks. My cardio says my aortic root is at 52mm(?) and will have to be replaced along with the stenotic valve. My question is at this point, I need some dental work done, (a couple of extractions and a cap) and each of these Dr's offices, tell me to ask the other one if it is ok to proceed with the work.

I was in a similiar situation; after my initial diagnosis (on July 17) I was in the hospital, and it was determined I needed an Aortic Conduit replacement (valve + aorta, I assume that is the same as "aortic root") and one bypass.

However when they found out I had a cavity that had been discovered at a dental checkup that hadn't been filled yet (an appointment was pending) they released me to have the dental work done first, then readmitted me for the operation which was on August 8. For the dental work I had to be "pre-medicated" which was just taking an antibotic one hour before the procedure.

I'm not sure why the doctors are avoiding making a decision, I would think the best thing to do is get the dental work done (get "pre-medicated") ASAP and then have the OHS.

But I'm obvioiusly not a medical expert, I can just telll you my experience.

Hi Debra and welcome. I'm pre-surgery myself, but I have read that you should get your dental work done before surgery, if possible.
Are you sure you need extractions? I was told that I should get my wisdom teeth extracted, but I objected and went to another dentist for work on those teeth instead of letting them be extracted.
Try not to stress too much about it. You have enough to stress about already!
Laura

Latest posts

Back