needing valve job!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

leaking101

New to TX and I need to have a valve replaced. I am not a person that is medical nor has ever needed to be in a hospital. So my fears right now are very high and my trust level very low.

I am feeling fine, no problems and this was found by a regular physical. On to the cardio.doc and then the usual tests.

Tuesday is my first meeting with the "Butcher" .... I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS !!!!!!!!

Is there a handbook for pre and post for this stuff? How do I ready my home for this ? Special diet afterwards?

Thank you all for all your sharing and courage that you offer to all.

Kind regards,

leaking 101 :eek:

First, fear at this time is normal, we all felt it. But the reality is that you will be fine. As for what to expect pre and post op, I would spend some time going through the forums and reading other's experience. If you could, tell us a little more about the nature of your value issue, which valve, etc. Then people who have conditions like yours can offer you specific advice.

leaking101 said:
I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS !!!!!!!!

Kind regards,

leaking 101 :eek:

No one WANTS to do this. It sort of becomes a I HAVE TO do this.

Believe it or not, yes there are books. You can view a free one at the link below:
http://cardiacsurgery.ctsnetbooks.org/
and whatever info isn't answered in there, all the rest of us will be more then happy to answer. We've all been there, so we just slightly qualified to give you accurate info.

Welcome aboard. Your at home with everyone around you that has experienced all the same feelings that you are right now. :)

Welcome,

Can relate to the new city adjustment and valve surgery. 2 months after relocating.....valve problems surfaced.

If you page through the forums you will find some very valuable information right here.

Keep us posted on your progress! Take care.

Welcome! You have found the right place. You and I are just about the same age. The difference is that I beat you to the surgery by 12 years. Not a race I was thrilled to win. But the improvement to my life was worth it.

Feel fortunate that you have no symptoms. This most likely means that your heart hasn't suffered any unreversable damage. You may also find, once you've completely recovered from the surgery, that you had been feeling sluggish, or short of breath, or fatigued prior to the surgery. Sometimes it sneaks up on us so gradually we don't notice.

Keep us posted.

Leaking:

Your surgeon or cardio will most likely give you some booklets about pre-op and post-op stuff. Mine did. However, you will find more practical stuff here from those of us who have undergone surgery. The booklets I got were more cartoony' than informative.
What hospital in Austin do you expect to have surgery at? There's at least one very good cardiac hospital there.

There are a TON of websites with helpful information about the surgery itself and some relating to post-op issues.

I got some booklets from my cardio and from the hospital pre-op but, as another poster said about the ones she got, they were pretty cartoony. But when I was discharged from the hospital I got a thick binder of materials that covered just about every aspect of recovery.

Here are some of the websites I collected before my surgery that I found useful:

Heart Surgery Overview - Texas Heart Institute Heart Information Center
http://www.texasheartinstitute.org/hsurg.html

Heart Valve Replacement : Frequently Asked Questions : St. Jude Medical
http://www.sjm.com/procedures/procedure.aspx?name=Heart+Valve+Replacement&section=FAQ

Virtual Hospital: Open Heart Surgery: Preoperative Sensory Information
http://www.vh.org/adult/patient/surgery/openheartprep/

What to expect after heart surgery:
http://www.sts.org/doc/3563

Mitral Valve Repair : Related Web Sites & Resources : St. Jude Medical
http://www.sjm.com/procedures/procedure.aspx?name=Mitral+Valve+Repair&section=RelatedInfo

Hi, Leaking!
Pretty scary where you are right now. I suggest that you spend all day tomorrow going through posts on this site. Many questions may spring to mind. Write them down, because your brain is likely to go into overload at the surgeon's office.

The best I can tell you is what Nancy told most of us: this is major major surgery; but the surgeons are experts. They know their way around in there. This surgery is not optional; it's only done when necessary and you need it to save your life.

Most of us were scared to death when we received the news that we needed valves replaced. That's why Hank founded this site - so those of us who thought we'd never make it through this ordeal, but did, can help you folks up and over the mountain.

Stay with us; let us know what transpires at your appointment with the surgeon. Best luck.

Leaking - Welcome to the site. I had the same feeling of going to surgery without symptoms. My valve problems were from Rheumatic Fever at age 10, so I was expecting this all my life. First thing is to get a good surgeon, maybe already done in your case. Find all the information you need to feel comfortable (this site is full of good information). The surgery lasts several hours (mine was 11 hours), next you are in Intensive Care Unit for a day ofr two (mine was three days), they get you back walking quickly and you are out of the hospital in a week (10 days in my case). You will feel lousy and weak for a few weeks minimum and out of work for six weeks (six weeks in my case). Anyway good luck and keep in touch.

let this site be a guide

let this site be a guide

I moved to Maine less than 2 years ago thinking I was fine despite having a congenital heart disease that was "fixed" at birth. I am one day away from 5 weeks post op and had never been more terrified. Waiting is the hardest part, just like everyone else will say. I have a child who is disabled and I know that if something happened to me it would greatly affect the quality of his life forever. (not to sound like an ego maniac, long story) I tried relaxing, not thinking of it, many extra dinners out with my husband, pampering, but nothing worked. When the day finally arived I just walked in the doors, changed into a gown and did it, no fear that day. I had mine done at a childrens hospital so I dont remember anything from IV's to catheters, no pain until moved to floor. So, all I can say is until the day comes you will probably feel so much fear so much of the time but once it is time to come over the other side of that mountain something happens and you just do it. Dont mean to sound scarry or dramatic, just seems like that is what happens.
Leighanne

Leaking

Leaking

Just feel the doctor out when you go to the appointment. Having the prospect of surgery make anyone nervous. And meeting the surgeon is nothing. He/she will explain the procedure that will be used, what needs to be done, what to expect from others on the surgical team, and so on. If this doctor talks above you, get with another surgeon. You will feel better once you do meet the surgeon. Good luck and relax.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Welcome

Welcome

You'll be swamped with info in the next couple of weeks. By far, these forums was the best response to all my questions and worries. The whole thing boils down to this: which valve? who'll do it? where to do it? Each of these is absolutely critical issue. Be ware of the doctors who 'strongly' advice you on the valve. Valve decision is totally your choice, and nobody can make it for you. Also, hospital staff can have VERY different qualifications, so in one hospital there might be excellent doctors as well as good ones. Pick a hospital that specializes in heart ops, preferably only heart and nothing else. I had my surgery 3 months ago, and there's never enough time for decision. Unfortunatelly, there is no 'silver bullet' for this type of surgery, and it all depends on the personal preferences. This operation is done every day in a lot of hospitals, so 'chances' are pretty much within statistical threshhold.

Latest posts

Back