Need Some Feedback

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

ChristineT

Hi my name is Christine,
My mother is 73 and just had valve replacement surgery, she also has cirrhosis of the liver, so before she went into surgery these things were discussed with cardiologist and heart surgeon. Just recently after her surgery she was doing fine. My mother came out of ICU and was staying in regular hospital room. A couple days later they sent her into ICU again and starting asking us about her cirrhosis of the liver?who is her GI Doctor? How was she diagnosed?. Then I heard from some nurses and a Doctor that the cirrhosis of the Liver was never documented on their charts and they found out she had it from the Hospital GI Doctors (this is after her valve replacement and had to go to ICU again. Is this a concern that they should have known before surgery??? They tell me it does not make a difference... That all her medications are not toxic to her liver.. but now she is doing worse. The family did discuss this to the Doctors because this is a major concern in medications that she can not take.

I hope I am making sense. I am so stressed out. I can't even think straight.

Christine:

Exactly what kind of valve replacement surgery did she have (aortic, mitral, etc.?) and what type of valve did she get?

The concern about the liver condition may be due to some meds she is now on.

Nancy may have some input on this, since I believe Joe has some type of liver ailment.

Hi Marge,

My mom had a aortic valve replacement on Jan 21,2004. Her valve is a tissue valve.

Christine.

Hi Marsha,

My mom had a aortic valve replacement on Jan 21,2004. Her valve is a tissue valve.

Christine.

Hi Christine-

Welcome to the site. There is a condition called "cardiac cirrhosis". It is actually caused by congestive liver which can come from congestive heart failure. The liver becomes impaired, but the causes are different from what we all think of as cirrhosis. It still can cause liver scarring.

My husband has this condition from having had congestive heart failure for many, many years. He also has had 3 valve surgeries, 2 lung surgeries, has a pacemaker, has CHF, pulmonary hypertension and several other serious problems. He takes between 14 and 16 medications a day, some more than once. He has been able to tolerate his medications, even one which can cause liver damage. His conditions are well managed by his doctors and he gets frequent testing, if anything gets too far out of line, adjustments are made.

So, yes, it may be just one more thing to put into the mix, but it is doable.

If your mom has excellent medical care, she should do well. A GI doctor can help tremendously, keeping track of this situation.

Hi Nancy,

Thank you very much for your valuable information. I read alot of your posts and you are a wonderful person for giving out great information and helping others.

Thank you
God Bless You and Your Husband!!

Thanks

Christine.

Latest posts

Back