Need Mitral & Tricupid replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowergal

Hello everyone,
Have not been on forum for years but recognize a few names. I am needing a surgeon who has done alot of tricupid valve relacements not repairs,which has so far been only a few. Has anyone had any experience with the Mayo? I will need a double valve surgery both mitral and tricuspid. Have already had aortic valve replaced with homograft 9 years ago and that valve is perfect. Also had pacemaker at that time put in due to complication from surgery. It has been a hard year for me. Surgery will most likely be in the next 6-9 months they told me. Living from check up to check up. I would welcome any information.

Flowergal

Flowergal, I had my tricuspid valve replaced with a porcine valve at the Mayo clinic in April of last year. I had it done at the Mayo clinic. The person there with the most experience with tricuspid valve replacement is Dr Joseph Dearani who is the surgeon who did my operation. He does the most of them because he is really the "go to" guy for people with Ebstein's anomaly which involves tricuspid malformation. There are also a couple of others that I know who have a decent amount of experience with tricuspid valve surgery, however, you would have to travel a pretty significant distance to get to them.

Since you live in Minneapolis, I dont' know if you've had previous experience with the Mayo clinic, however, they are fantastic and if you are able to use them, I would. If you need any further info regarding this surgeon or a cardiologist there, feel free to pm me.

Kim

Thanks for response. I do not know if symptoms are from tricuspid valve or mitral. I have moderate to severe mitral regurg. Severe tricuspid regurg.What
are the most common symptoms that people on the forum have from mitral regurg? I had NO symptoms in 2000 pre op with my AVR and it was severe. Sometimes I think the pacemaker really effects things it has never really felt the same since surgery.

Thanks,
flowergal

My most common symptom from severe mitral regurg is extremely tired. I just excused it as "old age" until the dx. At times I have a rapid heart rate and some "flip-flopping" of my heart (like a fish out of water). The only other symptom I have noticed is some tightness in my chest and a "pain" in the middle of my shoulder blades. Not sure how anxiety has affected me. I had NO symptoms when someone heard a murmur at a check up. Told me I must have been told that before, I had not. Since then visits to cardio, echo, TEE, cath and pending surgery has caused these symptoms to be more noticeable.
Power of suggestion? Don't know. Have stopped walking as tightness in my chest appears after, stopped working out (rapid heartrate) slowed all activity (too tired).
Jennifer

Last edited:
i have trace of the tricuspid and trace of the mitral valve, but i feel short of breath all the time, i get sharp chest pain on breastbone.

Hi kfay, did you ever have symptoms before your tricuspid replacement? I have trace tricuspid regurgitation and i get dizzy alot, and i have pressure pain on top if head and back of head. Doctors tell me that trace of the tricuspid valve has no symptoms and now my wife is telling me the same, and that it is my anxiety over the echo findings. Any info would be of help to me. Thanks

Hi kfay, did you ever have symptoms before your tricuspid replacement? I have trace tricuspid regurgitation and i get dizzy alot, and i have pressure pain on top if head and back of head. Doctors tell me that trace of the tricuspid valve has no symptoms and now my wife is telling me the same, and that it is my anxiety over the echo findings. Any info would be of help to me. Thanks

Trace to mild TR are common findings in almost everyone and is considered insignificant and should not result in symptoms.

Dear Flowergal,
I have had the aortic valve replaced and stents at Mayo. I could not say enough good about them. I have moderate to severe tricuspid valve and moderate mitral valve. Hopefully they will not get any worse. The tricuspid has changed. I have shortness of breath and some chest discomfort, but mine maybe due to the arteries. I don't know if moderate / severe would cause symptoms.

Dear Flowergal,
I have had the aortic valve replaced and stents at Mayo. I could not say enough good about them. I have moderate to severe tricuspid valve and moderate mitral valve. Hopefully they will not get any worse. The tricuspid has changed. I have shortness of breath and some chest discomfort, but mine maybe due to the arteries. I don't know if moderate / severe would cause symptoms.

Marilyn, Just in case you didn't notice, this original post from flowergal (Hiafa) is over 2 years old. She doesn't come on here anymore, so anything you post to her she won't see. Her heart issues are the least of her worries at the moment. I just thought you might want to know.

Kim

Flowergal,

I can't help you with symptoms or tricuspid issues. I had AVR at Mayo in late July 2010 and visited them for tests 3 other times. I was very pleased and impressed with the coordination between departments there. I recently had a follow up stress test, Echo, and bloodwork done and the same day at 330pm I met with my cardio to discuss all the results. It would take me weeks to accomplish all that here at home.

My Docs are excellent in my opinion and when I had questions both my surgeon and cardio responded the same day I asked the question on several different occasions. They also do a lot of these type surgeries.

My only complaint, I wanted an On-x valve and had to twist some arms to get it done. It was the day prior to surgery and unnecessarily stressful, but worked out great in the end.

If you live in Minny, you should check them out.

I hope you'll keep us posted on your decisions and progress.

Last edited:
Dear fkay,
I had no idea that flowergal had not been on for 2 years. I have not been on the site very much. I am not sure I know just how to figure it all out yet. I had open heart surgery, and a lady that I met before my surgery 2006 is still e-mailing with me. She was such a help to me, and now a good friend. Thanks for you help.

Back