Need info on out right purchase of home test equip. and supplies.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Noyolk,
I've been asking about instruction because speaking from experience INR testing is serious stuff and some patients need a certain level of comfort gained from an instructor.
Finger sticking and applying the blood isn't difficult. The doer just needs to feel comfortable, that's all.
Costs are different in our two countries so I can't comment.
We've always had excellent results with my XS, always.

Is it true that insurance will pay for home monitoring devices? Bringing it down to an affordable price? I realize that it probably depends on your insurence, but figured I'd ask if anyone has lucked out that way?

Is it true that insurance will pay for home monitoring devices? Bringing it down to an affordable price? I realize that it probably depends on your insurence, but figured I'd ask if anyone has lucked out that way?

My first monitor cost me nothing. I had United Healthcare then. However, I started having issues getting strips covered by insurance. I was told that my policy did not cover INR testing supplies, because they were expendables, not durable medical equipment -- even though it covered diabetics' testing supplies (which are also expendables).
In April 2008, I got my 2nd monitor because I wanted a smaller, more travel-friendly unit. Aetna's policy stipulated 80% coverage of DME, but that 80% translated into 60% after "usual and customary" phrasing was applied. I paid about $600 of the $1500 for my monitor after reimbursement. I paid cash upfront to bring the price down by $1,000.

Well now, Today is the start of my home monitoring. Spent 1 hour with a Nurse Trainer with my new Coaguchek XS. Performed 2 successful tests, both having the same result and within my range. I plan on testing about every 10 days, as my Physician prescribed every 1 to 2 weeks. Thank you for all of the advice.

Back