Need help with aorta surgery recommendation.Need help with aorta surgery recommendati

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hagay

My name is Hagay Eitan. I am 31 years old from Haifa Israel.
My 35 year old brother was suddenly died ,6 weeks ago, because he had a rift in his aorta.
This week I hade an heart eco test and It wasn?t good. I have an aortic dilatation (4.6cm) and a bicuspid aortic valve with moderate to severe insuf.
I need surgery to replace my aortic valve and the aortic root.
I need information.
I will appreciate your answer.

Hagay
:confused:

Hi Hagay-

Welcome to this wonderful site. There's so much information here, if you read some of the posts you will gain great knowledge. There are several people here who have had your problem and I'm sure they will come along and talk to you about their experiences.

At the top of the page, cliick on the yellow valvereplacement.com logo and then click on the personal stories area. If you read these, you will know that you are not alone.

We're here to be your friends and to help you in any way that we can. The learning experience is important for you right now. The more you know about your condition, the better you will feel.

Hope to see you here often with questions and comments.

Take care,

Shalom aleka, Hagay,
It sounds like you're on the right path, since you've gone to the doctor so quickly. You'll of course want to continue gathering information and asking lots of pointed questions, so that as much as possible you understand your heart and want will be best for it.
Although I've known about my defective aortic valve almost all my life, it still came as a surprise to me when it went bad last fall. My GP diagnosed bronchitis and pneumonia, instead of congestive heart failure, which both delayed my surgery and took away some time I might have had for asking questions and deciding what to do. My bicuspid aortic valve worked fine for me for about 45 years until it became severely calcified and, according to the surgeon, was only opening a pinprick.
Welcome to the site, and please ask all the specific questions you care to.

Welcome hagay - you won't be confused :confused: long if you stay here with us and read. There is so much information for you on this site, as well as support as you move through this. I had bypass, so can't answer your valve questions, but sure can support. God bless:)

Hello hagay,

My name is martha, and I had aotic valve replacement on 12-15-2000. Living in the united states I'm not sure how your health sysytem works. You have many decisions to make. Surgeon, hospital, and type of valve. Talk to your cardiologist. We are here for you, keep posting.

Shalom, martha weisberg

Thanks for your attention

Thanks for your attention

Hi all!

Thanks for your attention.
In my country there is not enough experience in aortic surgeries.
As I understand, US private health system is extremely expensive.
I thought of going to Dr. Tirone David in Toronto Canada.
Have some body heard about him?
I your opinion, What is the best place to do that?

Hagay Orit & 15 month old Roei
(you can see us in the attached file)

hi hagay!
welcome! this is a great place for information and support. everyone here is so wonderful; they have helped me through some very difficult times (my husband is the patient). i'm sure you will find it helpful as well.
there are several people here who have had their surgeries done by dr. tyrone. just post a search for that name and you will be able to see who used him and you can then contact them. from what i've read, he's fantastic, but they have first hand experience.
you are young and there are many choices open to you. are you symptomatic? short of breath?
are you leaning toward one valve vs. another? there is a load of info on this site to help with pros and cons on this subject.
please let us know how we can help.
by the way, where in israel do you live? it must be such a scary time for you and your family. my nephew studied as an exchange student with a family there years ago and still calls them a lot. he said it was the first time they sounded worried.
my whole family was there about 5 years ago and we loved it.
please let us know how you are doing and what you decide. by the way, beautiful family!!
be well, sylvia

Hello Hagay,

First, let me express my condolance on the lose of your brother 6 weeks ago. His sudden lose must have been a shock to you and your family.

Then to find out that you needed cardiac care pretty soon must have been even more alarming.

I don't understand what kind of medical insurance you have, if any. If the surgeons in your country can't do this surgery, who will pay if you have to go somewhere else to have it done?

One option you may want to consider is Deborah Heart and Lung Center in Browns Mills, New Jersey. They have a policy that makes it much easier for people with little or no insurance to obtain the type of surgery that you need. I don't have their web site, but you can do a search for them and get some information. They have a good reputation and treat many, many people each year. I'm not familiar with their procedures, but if you look them up and make some contacts, I'm sure you will be able to get the information you need.

If you have the resources to go to Toronto, or somewhere else where you would feel more comfortable with the hospital and the surgeon, then go for it.

However, don't wait too long. It sounds like you will need your repair/replacement fairly soon and there is a lot of work for you to do to make the necessary arrangements.

Good luck to you. If I can do anything to help, please let me know.

Ron K

Hi Hagay,

I had my aortic root replaced by Dr. Tirone David last summer (5/23/01). I live in California but made the trip to Toronto because I'd heard he was the best. I was not disappointed. Dr. David is an incredible surgeon and you would be in the best possible hands. I'm not sure of your insurance situation but I do know that my surgery in Toronto was about 1/3 of what it would have cost in the US - even more of a reason to make the trip! Dr. David and his staff are very friendly and helpful and I haven't met anyone who has had anything but good things to say about their experience at Toronto General Hospital.

I hope that helps. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

-Freddie24

Shalom Hagay and welcome to the site. I too have heard only good things said about Dr. David in Toronto. He has helped many people. There is a chance that he may have a waiting list because he is so popular. Hadassah hospital is so famous - it is hard to believe that there is no doctor there that does valve replacement surgery.
Sharon

Shalom Hagay,

Welcome to this website full of wonderful heart buddies who have helped me and many others through what you are just beginning with.

My condolences also for your brother. Surely it is very challenging for you to encounter your own heart problems right after losing him to the same.

Please take help from this site and wherever you can to become informed as quickly as possible about this condition and your options for correcting it. Although there are certainly risks and 'bumps on the road' as we like to call them, many new medical developments have rendered this condition quite correctable and manageable for most of us. So, take heart, if you may, and gain knowledge and encouragement from those who've been through or are also going through it.

There are many websites that can give you medical information about heart valve replacement. However, this is one of the few sources for help from those who truly have experienced and can share what you are going through. Don't hesitate to take full advantage.

Tadarabad (sp??). All the best and may God bless.

PS: By the way, I've been to Israel about 35 times and have many fond memories and friends from there. My prayers are with all of you.

Hi all

As everyone said you are really wonderful ! thanks again.
We talked about the insurance and the opportunities in Israel.
So, it is possible to perform this surgery in Israel but there is not
As much experience as in America. In this case,
I can get only half of the cost from the insurance company
because I elected(!) to do that abroad. It means that I can effort my self Canadian prices but not US prices.
Anyway, this Wednesday I am going to have the T.E.E. (Trans Esophageal Echo) and then I intend to send my test to Toronto.
Did you path the T.E.E.? (It seems horrible)

Hagay

hi hagay!
my husband, joey, just had a tee about a month ago because they thought his new valve was leaking.
the test was, according to joey, much easier than a catherization. he was pretty out of it and didn't remember anything that happened during the test.
there was a thread on this forum around that time that really scared me (someone who had a bad experience described the test ), but others came forward and reassured me that it was not that bad. just make sure you are sedated. they gave joey versed and demerol. they also made joey swallow this stuff that numbed his throat and then the dr sprayed this stuff in his throat that made it numb (this done before he became very sedated).
the whole test took exactly 30 minutes, so it's not long. joey did not feel nor remember any of it.
the dr was nice enough to let me stay in the room with them until right before he put the scope down joey's throat and when it was over they called me in immediately.
good luck and please let us know what the results are, ok?
be well, sylvia

Last edited:
Hi Hagay-

My husband has had several of them. They're not too bad. Getting an experienced doctor to do it is important and makes the test much easier. The test gives a great deal of information and only takes about a half hour.

Wishing you good luck.

Hi Hagay,

I also had bicuspid aortic valve and aortic dilation. I was diagnosed over 5 years ago and had echo every year to follow the condition. It slowly got worse and finally last September my doctor told me it was time to have it fixed. Dr. Tirone David operated to replace the aortic valve and also part of the aorta on Feb. 11th, 2002 and I am already back at work.

My family doctor, my cardiologist, echo lab technicians and many other people told me that Dr. David is one of the best cardiac surgeons in Canada. I was very glad that I was able to have him do my surgery.

My TEE was a bit uncomfortable, but they sprayed my throat to freeze it and gave me a sedative, so it was not too bad.

Alan

Hi Hagay

Welcome to the VR.com family.

Have heard great reports about Dr. David in Canada. There were a few members on the site that have had surgery by David. One being Brad Nowak.

If you go to the members section on this site you can pull him up by name and send him an email.

Like you, I had a young child at home during my surgical ordeal. He will be a great sprit lifter. My daughter gave me something to strive for in order to recover faster. Also, had no need for cardiac rehab. My surgeon said "having two year old to chase after and take care of was all the rehab needed". Boy was he correct.

We made it. I am thankful everyday for second chances.

Take care. :)

Latest posts

Back