Need guidance - had surgery, bleeding

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temp69

as if kidney stone isn't bad enough
had TWO procedures to get the damn thing out
now home with stent and bleeding
not sure how to deal with the coumadin, the urologists says coumadin might be worsending the clotting, bleeding, maybe not take it
the cardiologist says STAY ON THE COUMADIN and get your INR up to 2.5
meanwhile I'm injecting with lovenox.
sigh
does lovenox raise my INR?

If anyone knows the answer, please let me know. :eek:

Lovenox does NOT raise the INR, Coumadin does that.
The Lovenox is a bridge and will act like Heparin and keep you safe from clots though until the INR is higher.
Hang in there!

When was the procedure done? How much bleeding? External bleeding? If so, how often are you needing to change the bandages?

It's hard to say unless we have an idea of how much bleeding is occurring.

Best wishes!

temp69 said:
as if kidney stone isn't bad enough
had TWO procedures to get the damn thing out
now home with stent and bleeding
not sure how to deal with the coumadin, the urologists says coumadin might be worsending the clotting, bleeding, maybe not take it
the cardiologist says STAY ON THE COUMADIN and get your INR up to 2.5
meanwhile I'm injecting with lovenox.
sigh
does lovenox raise my INR?

If anyone knows the answer, please let me know. :eek:

I have found that Lovenox does affect my INR but just marginally. I know it isn't supposed to but for me it does a little. I would think that the continued bleeding might be more from the Lovenox than your coumadin. How much are you bleeding? When my husband had his last stent he had bloody urine for several days. He doesn't take any anticoagulant and his urine was pretty red for a few days with some clots and then lighter red with fewer clots and then finally started turning pink. Bleeding does stop on coumadin but it just takes longer. I think your cardiologist trumps your urologist here. You can replace blood but if you have a stroke then you can't replace those brain cells.

thanks for the feedback

thanks for the feedback

FYI it's blood in the urine, and it's not god-awful, just comes and goes, and that's good advice about the lovenox. i was going to hold off tonight, but with an inr of only 1.4 i believe i will take a hit before bed and resume the coumadin in the morning.

thanks for the input!:cool:

temp69 sounds like normal post stenting to me. Your going to bleed for a day or two, maybe even three. When you see what it is they put into you, you'll know why.

temp69 said:
FYI it's blood in the urine, and it's not god-awful, just comes and goes, and that's good advice about the lovenox. i was going to hold off tonight, but with an inr of only 1.4 i believe i will take a hit before bed and resume the coumadin in the morning.

thanks for the input!:cool:

Just a note...remember that when you resume the warfarin you need to overlap with the lovenox until you are in range. The lovenox should be cleared out of your system within about 24 hours so after you quit using it. It also takes 3 or 4 days after you "resume" your coumadin to be back in range so be careful.

thanks you guys

thanks you guys

appreciate the help. bleeding has almost totally subsided. whew. what a freakin' ordeal. oh well, that's what we're used to her on vr. builds character, right?:D

Back