Natural Anti Coagulants?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been a very helpful discussion. I will work on getting a much larger supply.

Now if someone could just help me figure out how to trick the meter into accepting expired stripes, I will be in business if the apocalypse comes

That's how I've done it.

The meter that I got from my doctor - one that the user thought was 'too inaccurate' had a box of REALLY OLD strips - 2014 attached. There were 24 strips in the box. I was hoping that the box also had the code chip. It didn't. THIS would have let me test 10 year old strips for accuracy. (Hmmm--I wonder how much difference the chips actually make -- maybe I'll try a DIFFERENT chip and compare the result to another meter with a correct chip and current date.

(When I was using coag-sense, the CEO told me that the strips don't really expire. I just set the date back to use old strips - and everything worked fine).

Reactions: Eva
Isnt one of the issues with stocking up though that warfarin tends to 'expire' after two years or so?

I think the only way to prep for apocalypse is to yes have a stock one - two years ahead, but also learn how to make the stuff yourself...
I was watching a video on how to make aspirin and it actually looks pretty simple. Apparently 1st year chemistry students start out by making aspirin.

Warfarin seems like it’d be just as easy, but there’s not any videos on making it. I’m sure if you practiced with a few drugs you could figure it out quickly. It’s just made with two precursor chemicals.

Aspirin is pretty easy. It's acetylated salicylic acid - I'm pretty sure that salicylic acid is not hard to get. It's just buffered (made less acidic). There's a scene in 'The Gilded Age' where a pharmacist? visits a pharmacist (Scott pharmacy - the man visited is the father of a main character) and talks about a new preparation of salicylic acid that fights pain - this is an early form of aspirin.

Warfarin is a different critter. Originally derived from red clover, I'm not sure how they isolated the active ingredient. It's not as easy as mixing a few ingredients (I think). The stuff is very potent - even if it came down to mixing compound A with compound B - I would be scared shitless trying to mix up a dose that wouldn't either raise my INR to extremely dangerous levels, or not work well enough to get my INR in range.

For me, just stocking up is the most appropriate way to prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse, WW???, or other disaster. And, if we had a disaster like this, anticoagulation may just become a secondary concern.

Warfarin seems like it’d be just as easy,
some things crystallise easily (caffeine comes to mind from my intro to organic chem labs), the trickier stuff comes from washing out organic solvents (which are toxic). Consider trying to wash out all the alcohol when you "extract" it by dissolving it in water. Not a perfect example but suggestive.

My experience with cattle feed is if clover/sweet clover gets put up not dry enough it will mold and create Coumadin. The only way to feed it safely is to feed good non clover hay or silage for 2days and then 1 day of the high coumadin hay/silage. Otherwise cattle will bleed excessively during calving and calves will bleed from the umbilical cord or any wound.

Standardvelocity -- what you wrote about is what led researchers to find and isolate warfarin.

When farmers were castrating goats (ouch) they were confused why some healed quickly, while others bled to death. They finally figured out that the ones whose bleeding couldn't be controlled ate red clover before the, uh, modification was performed.

Researchers isolated what it was in the red clover (and I didn't know it was a result of the fermentation and mold that formed on it) and isolated the compound - which they named Warfarin - Warf was the Wisconsin Agricultural Research Foundation (and also, with a different spelling, a character on Star Trek: The next generation). I think they sold rights to the drug company that held the patent for many years - and now it's only available as a generic.

Warfarin is a different critter. Originally derived from red clover, I'm not sure how they isolated the active ingredient. It's not as easy as mixing a few ingredients (I think).
I think you’re right actually. I was under the impression it was easier. I think I saw some papers on easier ways to synthesize warfarin, but I’m no chemist so reading those are almost jibberish to me.
For me, just stocking up is the most appropriate way to prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse, WW???, or other disaster. And, if we had a disaster like this, anticoagulation may just become a secondary concern.
Yeah definitely the easiest and best plan for sure.

Last edited:
Even if you COULD make warfarin by mixing material A with material B (perhaps as easy as adding salt to water?), I doubt you'd be able to get anywhere near determining the right dose - or, perhaps, to reducing it down to a form that would be easy to take and a reliable dosage.

I would not worry, if one thinks that the hypothetical apocalypse will take place before November, all is possible with people that talk to the dead, how to build a bunker for 7 years would be the main concern, or secure a ticket to the moon or mars with Elon and ride along with him,

secure a ticket to the moon or mars with Elon and ride along with him,
Making warfarin on the moon would be an even greater challenge. I'm not sure that even Pellicle is resourceful enough to pull that one off.

And this brings up another important question. How does space travel affect INR? :unsure:

Latest posts

Back