My valve turns double digit today.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the volunteering part. In fact, I may give them a call myself to see if they need help. Happy anniversary.

I am just about the youngest volunteer they have, and nearly the most recent. I think that means they need help, at least in this area.

Jim,
Congratulations on the decade so far. I know of such misdiagnoses from personal experience. First night I went to the ER I was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, this only a couple of months after Bill Bright, the founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, died a slow suffocating death from it. Then I got a fever and breathing got worse the next day. This time I went to the ER and was diagnosed with "atypical pneumonia" and was admitted. They didn't figure out it was my flail mitral valve until the next day when I was on 10 liters oxygen per minute, had gained 25 pounds of water weight, and finally it occurred to someone it might be my heart. So I had only one day to worry about the possibility of OHS (December 11th when they got to the 'heart' of the problem) until the 12th when I got my emergency surgery. Since it's rare to see sudden congestive heart failure and cardiogenic shock, and common to see pneumonia, especially in the early (pre) winter season, they rightly assumed pneumonia, especially with my 102° fever--maybe I really had both. As my old professor once said, if you hear the galloping of hooves you should think "horses" not "zebras." So I don't blame them. Enjoy your new life. I'm trying my best to enjoy mine.

Chris

Back