my surgery on TV??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

I was recently approached by the abc TV affilliate in Minneapolis who would like to do a feature story on my up-coming aortic valve replacement (CryoLife SynerGraft aortic valve). The interest is mainly in the advances in tissue engineering, and how this new valve can, over time, actually become the recipient's own living tissue.

I was fine with this idea until they asked if they could film the actual surgery. My surgeon of course would have a major say in this, but my first reaction was "no way." I don't mind them doing a story with pre- and post-op interviews, but I'm not sure what showing the surgery would do to add value to the story.

The main reason I'm willing to think about this is that tissue engineering has so much promise, and the general population hasn't really even heard of it. Plus, it may give some people a new/better option than they knew existed.

I am not sure I want my family and friends exposed to any of the gory details, but I thought I would ask this group if anyone can see any real value in showing actual surgery? Thanks in advance...your opinions count for a lot.

--John

What a GREAT OPPORTUNITY John !

It's a great opportunity to help educate the public about Heart Health and the wonderful strides being made to allow those of us afflicted with previously fatal conditions to be given the chance for a long and productive life. (Not to mention a little notoriety for youself which is not a bad thing :)

Last fall, one of the local Heart Surgeons made a presentation to our chapter of Mended Hearts discussing advances in their techniques and procedures. He showed slides of their latest pride and joy, a heart stabilizer, in action, which allows them to do Beating Heart Bypass Surgery, avoiding the additional trauma and effects of being on the Heart Lung Machine.

He also showed slides of how they extract the sapheous (sp?) leg vein laproscopically, thus avoiding the long and sometimes 'uncomfortable' leg incision and scar. I found these pictures to be informative, educational, and not the least bit 'gory'. They conveyed his topic much more readily than all the words he could have ever spoken.

Pictures dramatize the 'action' in a way that words never can, providing an indellible visual memory that captures people's attention. You can see some examples of Bypass Procedures at www.HeartSurgeons.com and click on Procedures, then CABG. The sections on valve procedures are illustrated but do not contain any pictures.

John, this is your opportunity to become something of a local celebrity and to help educate the public about a topic that is Very Dear to our Hearts (pun intended). My vote: GO FOR IT !

'AL'

One more reason to do the TV appearance John:

You can put in a plug for ValveReplacement.com,
allowing many more sufferers to find the support
and information they need to carry them forward
towards a better quality of life.

Don't let this opportunity slip away !

'AL'

Wow, our very own TV Celebrity right here at VR!

I think I would let them John. You know they won't do all the filming in the O.R., Maybe some snippets here and there. There is only so much that they could show anyhow. This is where a short amount of time can be used in your favor.

I'm sure it stunned you and I imagine your asking yourself alot of questions, but I don't see any real harm in it. It's still your choice though regardless of what we say. I'm wondering why they don't do a story on 2 others beside yourself. Sort of get a picture from different individuals and outcomes as well.

What ever decision you make, it will be the right one!

Dear John, when you came in , bet you didn't know a plug nickel about valve replacement surgery, did you? Think of all the others coming along behind you that don't know, either. That's why they end up here! You could do so many a great favor by having the actual surgery televised. We can never have too much education. This would be a grand opportunity to pass along the experience. And maybe the family would appreciate it, too. God bless

Go for the gusto!

Go for the gusto!

John, I join in with a go for it. Most of the medical documentaries I have seen show little or nothing other than the incision site. They are not gory and are very educational. I know I keep my ear open for cryo-life (name, spelling?) news as it might well be a choice if I need a second surgery for my homograft. You'll be asleep anyway. If you do it, let us know when and where it might show up.

It would be a service to many!

It would be a service to many!

If Dr. King was comfortable with it I would go for it. It is an extremely personal experience but sharing it could help many people. The piece should have balance though (time given to show the alternatives, mech. , porcine, Ross , etc.) The Synergraft is what we have chosen but it still is not right for everyone. It's obvious to all here your generosity and we will be behind whatever decision you make.

Hey, maybe this would be some extra incentive for them to get you your valve in a timely fashion.

Good luck with everything buddy,

Brooks McIntyre

Severe AI, Planning Synergraft AVR with Dr. Zehr at Mayo

It sounds like the "ayes" have it! It is very difficult to control how a story like this comes out. The media does what it does for its own reasons, which rarely coincides with what we all think should be fairly and accurately reported. Bottom line is that there is only a small amount that I can do to "steer" a story like this. Fortunately, some of the media folks involved are friends and would be willing to take some editorial input. But, as you all pointed out, the benefits to potential heart patients outweighs the hassles.

I should have mentioned that this came about because of an unrelated conversation I had with a TV reporter. I have a novel coming out late this summer (suspense/thriller) that deals with stem cell research and tissue engineering gone awry: Kidnappings, political intrigue...the standard suspense stuff. When I casually mentioned during this conversation that I personally would be benefiting from tissue engineering research, plus the fact that my son had just had valve surgery...these kinds of coincidences make reporters salivate. So, I will make sure I get a "plug" in for ValveReplacement.com, which, with all the great people here, is probably the biggest benefit any heart patient could find! Thanks to all of you for your input!

John-
Do you need an agent?

I wish I had a video of my surgery, but then I am a complete hypochondriac and would love to see the operation!

See what your surgeon and the hospital say!

we can all say we knew you when you were just one of the "little people"

-Mara

I share your thoughts on how much "steering" can be done and admit that it bothers me some. I would assume that you would get some sort of legal contract out of them? I sure wouldn't leave it "open ended" for them to do as they please. Just something I thought about. Ignore me if you'd like.

Good choice

Good choice

We all look forward to being with you before, during and after your surgery.

You will no doubt get to sign a "talent release."

If you wish, have the Producer contact me or give me his/her e-mail address and I would gladly send them a "complimentary" vr.com t-shirt. I'm having a few extras made.

Regards,

When your book comes out, would love to look it up. That's my sort of novel - keep one at bedside and generally another in living room, Cornwell, both Kellermans, Hoag, etc . All sorts of mysteries, intrigue is my cuppa tea.Be sure to let us know.

Televised Surgery

Televised Surgery

Part of my own decision to proceed which was accompanied by minimal apprehension was the TLC or the Dissovery health channel's "The Operation" series which had several Valve replacement surgeries on their schedule conveniently prior to my own.

I taped them and watched them repeatedly and the interviews a few weeks later and months later with the recipients were outstanding, very encouraging.

However. I kept wondering if it slowed the surgical team down in completing the surgical procedure as fast as humanly possible.

My main concern I had from the start was the time I would spend on the pump. If that was increased by precious minutes in any way, shape or form, I would have been against it had it been offered to me. My time on pump was 43 minutes.

You may want to ask about it, and if it lengthens your time on the pump factor it into your decision. The distraction to the surgeon seems like it could also be a factor as well. I wanted mine with full attention on the procedure once the pump was started.

Dear John-
Just a few thoughts from my mom whose job is to do public/media relations at a hopstial. She figures that the hospital won't allow the tv crew in the operating room. Too much liability for the hospital. What if the sterile filed is broken, what if something goes wrong (God forbid)? there are a million reasons why the hospital would not allow a tv crew in the operating room. Plus, she believes no reputable surgeon would allow it either. The surgeon wants all hands on their jobs and minds on the work, no distractions. Most surgeons just want to get on with the surgery, it's high-stress enough without tv goobers hanging around. Several years ago her hospital had the birht of the Dilley sextuplets and no t.v cameras were allowed in the delivery room. Video of the births was taken by the hospital. But even now they don't do that. Even local celbritys who have babies at the hospital are not allowed tv crews in the delivery room because of privacy laws.

Plus, I uncovered a few things, in my lawyer-mode, under the new HIPAA regs that figure the hospital would not allow a tv crew into your operation. So, I bet it will all be pre and post-op interview stuff with animation of the surgery. Plus the CryoLife guy showing the valves. Good luck!

Yes!

Yes!

I echo the others, John. If your surgeon approves, I say "Get Ready For your closeup"...Best of luck to you !

Joan

hi john!
there isn't anything i could possibly add to what the others have said....i know dr's are sooo nervous (malpractice and all) that i would tend to agree with mara and they probably won't allow the film crew in the operating room.
if it affects the length of time you will have on the pump or how slowly the surgery will go, as gary said, that would help streer me in the other direction.
i am a very squeamish person and can't stand watching those things, even on film, but i think i would have benefited from a pre-surgical intro on film. we've all researched and seen these things on line, but i think seeing an actual film would have given me more info in detail.
about your upcoming book, please let us know when it comes out. sounds like something i'd like too.
whatever you decide to do, i hope you are comfortable with the decision; it's such a personal one.
good luck and be well, sylvia

My two cents

My two cents

Please, if approved by surgeon, go for it. You could educated a lot of people. You are a good person. Hang in there. You will be alright.

Caroline
09-13-01
arotic valve replacement
St judes valve

Latest posts

Back