My Month Long Odyssey -- My Experience and Questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

Dear All,

Thanks to those who have answered my previous questions. I wanted to post a little bit about my experience thus far in the hopes that I can help others and be corrected by others and my questions answered. I am sorry for the length but I think these details might be helpful.

I am a 31 male with two young kids. I have known that I have a bicuspid aortic valve since age 3 and have monitored it since then. I'd always been told that I'd likely have to have my valve replaced sometime in my 50s or 60s. Never was I told about the possibility of aortic aneurysms. In recent years, I have learned about aortic aneurysms on my own (why am I being sent for this CT-SCan, this MRI?).

My first CT-Scan was in 2004 and I don't even know what my measurement was then. I plan on finding out. My second CT-Scan was in 2006 and the report said my aortic root measured in at 4.8 cm. Last year, in 2008, I was sent for a chest MRI to measure the aorta and the root measured at 4.5 cm. This April I was sent for a cardiac MRI and this showed a root measurement of 5.2 cm. (My last two echos in 2007 and 2008 showed root measurements of 4.8 cm and 4.45 cm, respectively.)

After the latest MRI, my cardiologist was concerned and sent me to a surgeon. That surgeon recommended surgery for two reasons: 1) what he perceived to be a great rate of change in the size of the aneurysm; and 2) the absolute size. I have reason to believe that he did not look at the MRIs himself but based this solely on the reports. The second surgeon, the first surgeon's partner, looked at the MRIs himself and said that he did not believe there had been much change, if any, between 2008 and 2009 (though a problem I have discovered in this last month is being sent to different tests on different machines read by different people). He recommends surgery at 5.5 cm, but also thought surgery now would not be unreasonable. He believed he could spare my valve.

I also sent my information to Dr. Svensson at the Cleveland Clinic. Svensson had a similar assessment as the second surgeon, but he believed it would be good to do a consult there. So it was off to Cleveland where I spent Monday and Tuesday. (CC really is an incredible operation and facility. It is clean, well run, and the people are pleasant. The only unpleasantness were the other patients who cut in line and the 3 hour wait I had for Dr. Svensson.)

I did a full work-up at CC: chest x-ray, echo, CT-Scan, blood work, EKG, met with a cardiologist, his physician's assistant, did pulmonary function tests including blood work, and a holter monitor. I finally met with Svensson. The echos were showing readings consistent with the previous echos with my hometown cardiologist (at least that is what the tech told me) and the CT Scan came back at 4.9 cm. Svensson said that there is no standardization in how the aorta is measured, but that at CC they do standardize it. He said the best in the world measured the aorta and he trusted him implicitly. My aorta was measured the exact same way they measure every aorta that comes through. From what he said and my experience this past month, I see there is great variation in how they measure these things.

Svensson's recommendation against surgery stemmed from a number of different things: 1) he has his own formula to compute the cut-off and because I am 6'4'' his cut off is 5.1 or 5.2 cm rather than 5.0 cm (how they can even measure the difference is amazing to me); 2) he stated the risk of dissection/rupture at this size was under 1%; 3) he stated that the mortality risk of surgery is about 1%; 4) he was concerned about me ringing the bell of valve replacement now; in other words, beyond the risk of surgery, you have the attendant complications of a repaired or new valve. In either case, starting the clock means your possible second surgery is that much closer too. Svensson did believe he could repair my valve and said that after 10 years 91% of CC's patients who have had David Reimplantation have not had a second surgery. Of those who do require a second surgery, most require it within the first year to 18 months. Svensson did say he would do the surgery if I elected to do it -- and thought that not unreasonable for peace of mind issues. (Incidentally, I also learned from the cardiologist I met with that in Europe the protocols call for surgery at a lower threshold. This really is an "art" not a science.)

Another interesting thing Svensson told me is that while not documented, he and his cardiac surgeon colleagues, have noticed a degeneration of cognitive function over time in those with mechanical valves. This was the first I'd heard of that and something that will weigh heavily in my considerations going forward. I had been told by others: "You are young, you will need a mechanical valve."

I also asked Svensson about my risk of aneurysm in other parts of the body. He said that there are cases of those with BAVs who have cerebral aneurysms, but they seem to be independent events. He thought the problems would be limited to the ascending (and possibly descending) aorta.

If you are still reading, here are thoughts/questions that this month-long trial(?) has brought to me:

1) Cardiologists and surgeons very easily tell you to walk around with an aneurysm in your chest -- just wait for surgery! I think actually having an aneurysm is harder than that!

2) We as patients need to be educated and advocates for myself. The first surgeon I met with was recommending surgery based on likely faulty data and really minimized the problems associated with mechanical valves and surgery in general.

3) I don't understand why my cardiologist has sent me to so many different kinds of tests. I believe I have been disserved by these different tests at different places. If you are coming to this new, you need to insist on going to the same sort of test (if you are young probably cardiac MRIS) consistently. Chest MRIs are not gated to the heart beat so they are fuzzy and not very helpful images. If you are going the MRI route, I would insist on a cardiac MRI.

4) Amazingly there seems to be little standardization in how aortas are measured. The same image might be read/measured three different ways by three different people. The second surgeon read the cardiac MRI as a 5.0 or 5.1 as opposed to a 5.2 that the MRI report said. A friend of a friend read it at that lower range too.

5) A surgeon might only give you the options that you have. The first surgeon had a partner who does valve-sparing surgery, but didn't even think to suggest his partner as an option.

6) Now I am faced with being in a gray zone. In some sense, hearing the 4.9 cm measurement at Cleveland let me breathe easier. If my 2006 CT Scan is accurate, then I have grown a mm in just over 3 years. On the other hand, being in a gray zone makes me feel as if I am in a state of paralysis. My wife and I were making plans possibly to move or for me to change jobs. Do I do that now when next year my aneurysm could be at the magic number? If I were to start a new job, it would be awfully awkward to say two months into it, "Hey, I need to take 2 months off." (And what about the stress of a new job?!) Or if my aneurysm is stable or grows very slowly then I might have 6-9 years or even longer before surgery is necessary? Do I do the surgery while younger to ensure better odds? Will my valve be repairable in 10 years as seems to be now? And what about the psychological issues associated with having an aneurysm? If anyone has thoughts on how to negotiate these various questions, I would very much appreciate them. I feel a victim of whiplash. One day I am thinking I need surgery, then I am leaning towards it but believing I can wait, and now I am leaning against it.

I am sure I will have more thoughts as I go forward.

You can look in a current thread: Sticking my head in the sand didn't work . There's an aneurysm chart there and a URL for another, and a small amount of other assorted aneurysm info.

Best wishes,

CBD - I just want to say I am right there with you - except I am not considering a new job, but children...and I am faced with many of the same questions as you, and am seeking answers just as you are. The only question mark right now is the current size of my aneurysm - which I'll find out in another few weeks.

This is a tough one. You have received conflicting advice, and there are a lot of pros and cons to weigh, as evidenced in your last paragraph.
I think most here would advise to get that aneurysm repaired, and I think particularly while your valve can be spared. At the end of the day, whether you are measured at 4.9 or at 5.1 or 5.2 - it's all dangerous.
Though OHS is by no means fun, I personally hate the feeling of being a 'walking time bomb'.

It's a very personal decision. I hope that you are able to reach a decision you are comfortable with.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Melissa

Another interesting thing Svensson told me is that while not documented, he and his cardiac surgeon colleagues, have noticed a degeneration of cognitive function over time in those with mechanical valves. This was the first I'd heard of that and something that will weigh heavily in my considerations going forward. I had been told by others: "You are young, you will need a mechanical valve."

I highly disagree with this statement and I'm sure the Dick and RCB will too and they've had their mechanicals since the beginning. CCF is and has been pushing tissue valves, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd try to say something to negate a mechanical valve. Thing is, your the one that has to face multiple surgeries, they don't.

With that being said, My aneurysm ruptured at around 4.7. I was waiting for the magical number 5.0. An aneurysm has a mind of it's own. I don't care if they could provide documentation concerning the size of a person vs risk, an aneurysm can go whenever it darn well wants to. The chart that Tobagotwo refers to shows that. Please read my last post to RVUSA too in the same thread. A time bomb is exactly what these things are. Sometimes I think they are more like the IED's that explode around our soldiers in Iraq.

I would have to agree with Ross regarding cognitive degeneration not being caused by mechanical valves. As most valve patients have their surgeries in their 60s or older, I'm going to guess that age and illnesses are a factor over time more than an advanced, pyrolytic carbon valve.

There have been studies that show a percentage of people experience a cognitive hit from either the bypass machine or the re-warming process after the sugery. Rewarming a patient too quickly can cause anoxia, a result of too many brain cells waking up at the same time, making it impossible for the blood to provide them all with oxygen quickly enough to avoid the death of some cells. However, continuations of these studies show that the large majority of patients recover their mental edge within a year.

There was also a set of small studies done about cognition and mechanical valves some years ago, which I have always referred to as the "tiny bubbles" studies. The theory went that the vortex from mechanical valves, like pouring good champagne, caused tiny bubbles to form. This bubbled blood would eventually get to the brain and cause small, but continuous damage. The theory tends to bog down on at least two counts: the results were rather ambiguous and contrived, and newer valves have very different flow characteristics.

If that is a concern, flow characteristics were notably updated in the ATS, Carbomedics, and On-X valves.

Best wishes,

Another interesting thing Svensson told me is that while not documented, he and his cardiac surgeon colleagues, have noticed a degeneration of cognitive .

I do take issue with this statement. 20+ years after my surgery I was still able to achieve advanced degrees in Finance. I was also "sharp" enough to start my own business in my 50s and continued it to my retirement. My Cardio refers to me as a "medical miracle" and my GP says that there are two kinds senior citizens...the old, and the "young" old and he classes me in the latter.

I also have a golfing and poker buddy who had his first surgery in the mid 70s with a tissue valve. The valve lasted to 1992 and was replaced with a mechanical valve. He is now in his late 70s and is beginning to slow down (golfing), but he will still whip your ass in poker.....so much for dwindling "cognative" ability.

I know that I am one of the earliest valve recipients and I have yet to be contacted for any studies of long term effects of valve surgery. I wonder where they get folks for their undocumented studies:confused:

Incidently, I was also 31 and had two small children (both boys) when I had the surgery. I have seen them grow to men as well as seeing four grandkids and one great-grandchild grow up and I still have the "cognative" ability to rember their names:rolleyes:. I am most grateful that I had a mechanical valve implanted as a young man.

I don't like to get into discussions of valve selection and this decision is personal and should be based on fact...and I challenge your surgeon to verify this "fact".

RCB has his for 48 going on 49 years. Ain't nothing wrong with that mans mind at all. Ornery cuss.

My son also dissected below 5.0 (I think, tho we didn't know he had an aneurysm before the dissection). Brian was left with major heart and kidney damage. In fact he is in the hospital again right now because of a kidney complication. That being said, Brian was only about 5'6" or so. I do think you have a bit of protection because of your size. On the other hand, you are the one that has to live with the fear. This is a tough decision and I think you are doing the right thing by getting all your information together. I think you have to go with your gut on this one and do what's right for you, not what's right for the surgeon.

I just read the thread by RVUSA and I think you should read it. I think I gave you bad advice thinking that your size protected you.

Last edited:
Timing and aneurysm growth

Timing and aneurysm growth

First: When my aneurysm was discovered in 1991 (or so) I went on large doses of beta blockers and, as advised, quit aerobic exercise and lifting more than 15 -20 pounds. My aneurysm stayed the same size (approx. 4.6, depending on the scan and radiologist reading it) until my bi-cuspid aortic valve gave out. So, I know that aneurysms CAN stabilize if you "take care"!

Second: I am a computer contractor and I change jobs all the time. My current employer's short term disability insurance would not pay if you had been with the company less than a year. God was with me, I guess, because I had passed the one year mark by a bit when I had to have the OHS and be out 8 weeks. You might be better off having the surgery with your current insurance, if your employer's disability insurance is like mine.

Best of luck, Neighbor!

:):):)

Sorry, but I think it is actually very unprofessional of Svensson to say that cognitive function declines in those who have a mechanical valve!!!
What Ross said is true - CC does push tissue valves and if you want some documented evidence of that, I will pm it to you.
Nevertheless, the choice of valve is yours and if you have your heart set (pun intended) on tissue, then go for it, but not solely because you're worried about cognitive function, LOL..

Good luck on your journey anyway.

Well actually, having a mechanical installed could make you remain in adolescences and refuse to grow up. Ask anyone about me.

I didn't even know the technology to do this existed back then. Just absolutely amazing!

Just so you know, RCB is the oldest living survivor from the very beginning and a Guiness World Record holder. He is currently trying very hard to get PBS to do a documentary on heart valve replacement as part of the 50th anniversary of heart valve replacement surgery that comes up next year. ;)

This is taken from his signature:

Signature
The first child, the fifth patient to survive valve replacement surgery and the world's longest surviving heart valve recipient
1st AVR- Oct. 27th 1960, Dr. Kay/St. Vincent, Clev.,Kay tri-leaflet teflon prototype
2nd AVR- Feb. 1964, Dr. Kay/St. vincent, Clev., Starr-Edwards/early prototype
3rd AVR- Jan. 1982, Dr. Kay/St. Vincent, Clev. Bjork-Shiley 60 degree tilting disc
4th MVR, TV repair, ASD repair and Maze,June 2004, Dr. Pettersson/CCF, Clev., 27 mm CarboMedics
bi-leaflet valve.

Latest posts

Back