My incision scar

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleowoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Photo of my scar at 1 year 9 months (28th Sept 2015) - see below for previous scars:

scar1.jpg

Here's a piccie of my incision scar at nearly six months:

scarsixmonths.jpg

And here's the scar at just one week to compare how things have improved above:

op%20scar.jpg

My drain scars still show, but the drains didn't hurt one bit when they were pulled out.

Last edited:
That's about what mine looks like and the drain scars are darker. 6/13 is 6 months.
I was rubbing jojoba oils 2x day for 5 months to keep it soft and hoping to avoid
Keloid ing. But who knows if it helped other than psychologically!
:) I also decided since the scar cost so much, the world gets to see it most days.
Though with BB cream and a concealer stick it really disappears ! I have other scars so I am ok with it now.
Thanks for the support!

can handle that if it is over with , that is for sure...i didn't think it would be quite so long but at my age,,,i don't give a damn. Paleogirl..you have so much going for
you that the scar just doesn't matter and anyways...your not wearing a bikini.

can handle that if it is over with , that is for sure...i didn't think it would be quite so long but at my age,,,i don't give a damn. Paleogirl..you have so much going for you that the scar just doesn't matter and anyways...your not wearing a bikini
Well I would wear a bikini if I went to the beach ! I never wear a swimsuit but always a bikini, even at my age (61) ! Most of my tops show a lot of the scar as it's high up my sternum. That's 'minimally invasive' surgery *, but I think it's longer than the usual 'minimally invasive' length because I have a depressed sternum which might have meant a longer incision ? Can't be bothered to ask the surgeon as what's done is done and I'm proud of what I've been through. So will you be Sunshine ! When it's over your friends will see how brave you have been !

* BIG PS - Found out 15 months after surgery (!) that the surgeon was unable to access my aortic valve with a mini-sternotomy so had a median sternotomy, hence the longish scar. Could have told me sooner LOL

Last edited:
I haven't seen any posts about anyone having a horizontal scar above the right breast only 3" long. Mine isn't too bad although it healed like a keloid so it's a bit thicker than most. I'm getting used to it now, the area below it is still a bit numb even after almost 6 months.

I embarrassed my daughter one month after my AVR, when I took her to a Father/Daughter dinner at her school. I mentioned my surgery, and before long half a dozen fathers had their shirts open and were comparing heart surgery scars. (Many were probably bypass surgery, but it didn't matter - we all had similar vertical scars).

Back