My father's Lp(a)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nocturne

So I finally got the kids' blood work done and am waiting in the results. Meanwhile, my father, who got HIS Lp(a) checked weeks ago, finally heard from HIS doctor what the results were.

Now there are two main alleles that seem to control Lp(a), at least in Caucasians. We know that I have two copies of one of the bad ones, the one that also greatly increases a person's odds of acquiring aortic valve stenosis. We also know that my father has ONE copy of that same allele (he had the same genetic tests done that I did).

By extension, we also know that my kids ALL have at least ONE copy of that same bad allele, as it's the only one I could have given them.

My oldest has a Caucasian mother whose Lp(a) and genetic makeup are unknown to us; from what I have read it would seem that she has a roughly 10% chance of having one copy of the bad allele, and if she does then there is a 50% chance our son has two. That's about a 5% chance altogether.

My other three children have an Indian mother, whose parents immigrated here. This is where it gets "interesting". On the one hand, it would seem that the particular bad allele (or genetic "spelling error") I am afflicted with is not nearly as common in the Indian population, if it exists at all -- that's good news. BUT, Indians do tend towards high Lp(a), which is bad news. There is probably another allele in their population that tends to raise Lp(a); we know if like 50 or so that control it in part, but again there are two that control it far more than any of the others in the Caucasian population.

So the upshot -- my father, who has one copy of the bad allele, has an Lp(a) of 75.

That's just barely enough to place him in the "high risk" category. His doctor, of course, told him that it was high but not to worry about it because he was on a statin. HE had the opinion that *I* didn't need to worry about it either, because he was just as bad as I was and HE didn't need to worry. I rubbed my temples and explained once again that 75 or above was "high risk", 125 or above was "very high risk", and my score was a cartoonish "X-man" level of 390. He countered that there were different units of measurement and our tests must be different, and I asked him if his used nmol/L or mg/dl. He didn't know but he knew that the doc told him a 30 or so was normal. OK, I told him, that's nmol/L, and that's the scale they used for me. There was a pregnant pause (we were on the phone) as I think some things finally started to dawn on him.

"You're 390?" he asked.

"Yes. And I've already got calcific degenerative aortic valve stenosis, and coronary artery disease typical of a 70 year old guy, at the age of 43. My body is an atherosclerosis machine."

Another pregnant pause. He's figuring it out. Or just getting it through his skull. I know that it's hard to convince people of things that they just don't want to believe.

Anyway, the good news is that with one copy of the bad allele his Lp(a) is "only" 75, a bit more than twice normal. It's most likely, then, that my kids are at about the same level, which should afford them some time for the antisense drug being developed to tortoise its way through the FDA and then the inevitable insurance roadblocks before permanent damage is done. That's good news. Fingers crossed.

It seems you and your father's test used different units, despite what you told him. Remember when we were trying to work out how to convert it?

You should test yours again

I wouldn't be freaking out my dad by trying to convince him how fragile I am. How does it help?

OK, I'll bite. Why does it seem that they used different units? If they are, that is a BAD thing, for him and my kids. Why are you so sure?

He told me that on the scale his test used, a 30 was considered normal. That is NOT the case with ng/dl, but it IS the case with nmol/L, which is what mine used, and what is considered to be the more accurate unit to use today.

I mean, maybe you're right, and he and my kids are all at much greater risk than I had originally thought. Thanks for pissing in my corn flakes.

I wasn't sure what he would have, but it's not a huge surprise that his is so much lower than my own -- he has one normal copy of the rs104yadda allele. Consider the difference between having ONE functional kidney and NO functional kidneys. Of course it's not the same thing but you can see the point.

As a matter of fact, the doc I am seeing online now DID order a second rest of my Lp(a), but neither of expects it to change much. Look at the facts, Agian -- two copies of a bad allele, Godawful CAC for my age, calcific degenerative aortic valve stenosis in my early 40s, and an initial test result of 390 nmol/L. You think a second test is gonna knock it down to 75?

Or do you just want me to "put on a happy face"? Because you know what? The more people keep their mouths shut and smile about this medical issue, the more kids will be left in the dark about it until they learn they have it in their early 40s, when it is too damn late. Screw that. I'll leave it to you to hang those kids out to dry. I'M going to talk about it.

Agian -- sorry if I came across as a little salty up there. I mean I AM a bit salty on this topic, but not entirely with YOU, specifically. I fear I've directed vitriol at you that is meant for the situation, and for that I apologize.

I am not trying to "freak" my father out, I am trying to convince my extended family to take this seriously and get their kids and grandkids tested. My father has 7 brothers and sisters, all of whom had multiple kids, and almost all of those cousins have multiple children. I may have a little first or second cousin with the same issue I have, who could be identified in time to prevent or delay what I am dealing with right now, and there is some resistance amongst some family members to understanding the situation, let alone addressing it. These are bright people -- for some, the difficulty is in not wanting to accept the issue, or downplaying it. "Putting on a happy face." Probably all well and good for most of them, but not for that one little boy or girl who may be homozygous like me. They deserve better than being sacrificed so that their relatives don't have to face a little discomfort.

I didn't notice any vitriol, just you carrying on, as per usual.

if you go through the old posts you will notice I told you I know someone who had a similar LPA to yourself and has halved it, without Evolocumab. If he took this as well it would be 'normal'.

Good news for my dad and kids (though less so if you are right in your assertion that his test measured in ng/dl).

In fact, the online doc I have set an appointment with -- who does this for a living -- told me that he has seen TWO people over the course of his career who were able to cut their Lp(a) levels in half via various methods.

He also told me that this was pretty unusual, and that I should not go into this expecting those results.

And, of course, since 125 nmol/L is the threshold for "extremely high risk", and I am at 390 nmol/L, even if I were to be one of the lucky ones who was able to halve their level, I'd be at about 200 nmol/L -- well above the "extremely high risk" threshold.

But yeah, less is probably better.

You sound a bit dismissive though. Is that just my imagination?

Excuse my ignorance but do you have to specifically ask for this test? My lipid screen only shows total cholesterol, LDL,HDL,non HDL cholesterol and triglycerides.

cldlhd;n878087 said:
Excuse my ignorance but do you have to specifically ask for this test? My lipid screen only shows total cholesterol, LDL,HDL,non HDL cholesterol and triglycerides.

It was certainly not included in your standard lipid screen. You have to ask for it specifically. You have to understand that knowledge of the importance and treatment of this blood factor is still in its infancy, and a lot of docs (as well as their professional organizations) have this attitude that because they don't have a pill to lower it, they should just ignore it.

Of course, if Ionis Pharmaceutical's experimental antisense drug is shown to be safe and lower heart event rates, all of a sudden everyone and their dog will have to get tested yesterday. This could be the case in a few years.

Nocturne;n878086 said:
You sound a bit dismissive though. Is that just my imagination?
Not at all. From what I remember your converted LPA was 132. Halve it and you're looking at 66, which is highish, but not super-dooper, freaky, mutant high (to quote you).

Just because your expert has only seen two, doesn't mean there aren't a lot more. What's such an expert doing touting his wares on blogs anyway?

The other thing is that LPA depends on LDL to do it's dirty work, which means you can attenuate the risk by lowering your LDL even further. Did I tell you this guy I know threw away his GTN spray? I wonder what his KAK score was? Or mine, for that matter, with a 60% 'blockage' in the RCA, pre-stent. You're not special mate.

Agian;n878089 said:
Not at all. From what I remember your converted LPA was 132. Halve it and you're looking at 66, which is highish, but not super-dooper, freaky, mutant high (to quote you).

Just because your expert has only seen two, doesn't mean there aren't a lot more. What's such an expert doing touting his wares on blogs anyway?

The other thing is that LPA depends on LDL to do it's dirty work, which means you can attenuate the risk by lowering your LDL even further. Did I tell you this guy I know threw away his GTN spray? I wonder what his KAK score was? Or mine, for that matter, with a 60% 'blockage' in the RCA, pre-stent. You're not special mate.

You remember wrong. 390 nmol/L converts to a titch over 150 ng/ml, although the conversion is messy.

But why bother converting? The range is already set for nmol/L, which is considered the more accurate measure anyway.

On the scale of nmol/L, 75 or over is considered "high risk", and 125 or over is considered "extremely high risk".

I am at 390. That is LITERALLY mutant-level high, given the fact that I carry two copies of a mutant gene that raises Lp(a) as well as the odds of developing calcific degenerative AVS.

Cut that in half (and cutting one's Lp(a) in half is a RARE THING), and you get 195. That's WELL over 125.

But I've been over this before with you. I feel a little like I'm talking to a brick wall.

I'd say that someone whose business it is to help people try to lower their Lp(a) scores, who mentions that they've seen "a couple" of people halve theirs but cautions that those results are "not to be expected" is more significant than you telling me about a fella you know who says he halved his.

I am aware of the fact that lowering LDL cholesterol can mitigate the effects of high Lp(a), but I do not believe that it completely eliminates them. If you can find a good study indicating that it does (not just a quote from a doc who is quoting another doc who is quoting another doc, who was possibly bought by an insurance company that didn't want to pay for Lp(a) lowering treatments), I'd love to see it. Otherwise, it seems much like asserting that lowering LDL cholesterol can mitigate the effects of smoking -- that's probably true, but it doesn't mean that it eliminates them.

I do not know what GTN spray is, nor what a KAK score is. I am sorry to hear about your RCA blockage that required a stent (how old were you when this happened?)

But I do know that someone with an Lp(a) of 390 nmol/L, calcific degenerative aortic valve stenosis and a CAC score of 156 at the age of 42, is in fact pretty damned unusual. To assert that they are not is just blowing so much smoke.

Oh, by the way Agian -- you were right about my father. His test used ng/ml. This is bad news for him and my kids -- at 77 ng/ml, he is well above the "extremely high risk" cutoff of 60 ng/ml.

Thank you for reminding me to be more guarded about my optimism in these matters.

cldlhd;n878090 said:
The Toll of Exercise on the Heart (and Why You May Not Need to Worry) https://nyti.ms/2uywxoj
This might not directly relate to the thread but since it's about plaque I figured it might interest some.

Interesting article, and I am aware of the growing significance of plaque density as well as density in CAC scores. Unfortunately, high Lp(a) is associated with less dense, more dangerous plaques, and with plaques whose necrotic cores continue to grow even while on statin therapy.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._statin-treated_patients_with_angina_pectoris

"Multivariate logistic regression analysis showed that Lp(a) was a significant independent predictor associated with necrotic core progression during statin therapy (odds ratio [OR]: 3.514; 95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.338-9.228; p = 0.01). Serum Lp(a) is independently associated with necrotic core progression in statin-treated patients with angina pectoris."

LOL!

Seriously, Agian, you're like the only person I've found online who seems to have issues approaching my own. You've got high Lp(a) and CAD. Even if your AV is bivalve (it is, isn't it?), the Lp(a) may well have affected it. I wonder if you might have the same spelling error in your genome that I do.

But I'm curious about the way you are being so "thick" about some of this stuff because I'm seeing it with some members of my very large family as I try to spread the word and get people to get themselves and their kids tested. Just yesterday, my sister claimed that it couldn't be THAT bad because one of our maternal grandparents must have had the bad gene, and "neither of them had any heart problems."

Folks, one of those grandparents had at least two heart attacks and Afib, and died of heart failure, while the other one suffered a stroke and later died of heart failure. And my sister knows this. Now that is someone who is being THICK. And I'm trying to figure out how to get past it, to get people to see the uncomfortable thing and admit to it so that maybe they can find out if their kids are in trouble and warn them while they still have time for prevention.

I sure wish someone had done that for me.

cldlhd;n878102 said:
I was going to suggest they'd make a great couple.

classic090110.jpg

Back