My dad went back to work today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojofromct

So, I saw EVERY HOUR last night. Knowing my dad would be getting up at 2:45 AM and leaving the house at 3:45 to commute to work for 5:00am...I saw every hour. He is sore, he said he didnt over do it, everytime he comes back from vacation his arms are sore, shoulders are sore. He says its part of getting old. He has been doing this work since he was 16 years old. So he is about 8 1/2 weeks post op and back to work - commuting and lifting...I pray he continutes to be ok. He said if he felt he couldnt do it he would tell us, I want to believe him...I will still worry about him...But something tells me, he will be fine.

Your dad is going to do what he wants to do. Nothing is going to stop him. I have a feeling that he'll be OK also. But could you stop him anyway?

He is a remarkable man and has had a great recovery.

Yeah I know Nancy...my dad had to go back...the surgeon told him 8 weeks and if he felt good he can return...my dad is strong...he is taking it easy I believe...we got to believe...It went by so fast...I am thankful.

Going back to work at 8 weeks+ is pretty common. As long as he paces himself, and rests when he needs to, he'll be fine. I think going back to work may even help speed up the recovery progress as it forces your body to develop stamina and strength. It's easy to be too relaxed sitting at home, and not progressing as quickly as you could. Wishing him the best on his return to work.

I have 12 weeks short term disability and then I kick into my summer vacation as a teacher. I am going to use all 12 weeks and then my summer and devote myself to my health with cardio rehab, etc. This is one time I am going to learn to slow down and take care of me. By next school year I should be flying.

UGH - I am depressed...My mom told me tonight my dad is in pain, his arms and legs. He is sore...He always gets sore from work but its more because for two months he didnt work. My mom said I WISH HE HAD PT...but they didnt offer it, I guess they thought my dad would get back into things...because he was in great shape going in. My husband said for two months he pretty much sat around. MY dad walk some days...but NOT every day. I feel bad...now he has pain. HOW long will this pain last? I am so nervous...I am a wreck...

I am sure his muscles are out of shape, he has not been doing his normal working stuff for a while, even though he is basically in tip top shape. It takes a week or so for muscles to get over the initial shock of doing things they haven't done for a while. You know, like when you start exercising-- you are sore for a while until you get into the routine.

Also some people have lingering pains in their shoulders and neck and back after heart surgery because of the positions they put your body into during surgery.

Many people have benefitted from having a loved one give them massages. Perhaps your mom could try that.

If he is doing physical tasks at work its not suprising he is sore. 8 weeks is a good way into the healing process but he is only 2/3rd of the way through the typical 12 weeks doctors say it will take for bones to heal, ect...

I couldn't sleep on my stomach at 8 weeks, still hurt. I went back to work at 6 weeks but I have desk job. I tried lifting weights at 8 or 9 weeks (really light ones) and I found that I got sore pretty quickly. The docs were right in that I was probably 12 weeks before I stopped feeling discomfort from too much physical activity.

Dad might consider two Tylenol's before work in the AM and then two more after work. I read that you can take up to 2000mg a day without it having effects on your INR. Others can confirm that. Even if only for a couple of days until he gets back into the swing of things.

No worries though, his body will tell him if he really goes overboard.

I was sore when I first went back to work. I had a 1 1/2 hour commute by car/train each way as well. It will take some time to limber up and the soreness will subside. However, it may not disappear completely for some time which I don't think had anything to do with going back to work. I generally had achey back, neck, and shoulder muscles for a year post-op from how the body was stretched open during the surgery. Muscles were pulled in way they weren't meant to be. It got better day by day, week by week, month by month, until it was gone completely, about a year or so later. Not too worry, many have posted about going through this. It's normal as the surgery was quite a trauma to the physical body.

Latest posts

Back