My bionic valve is not so noisy.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Julles Jackson

Hi, my mechanical and bio friends.

A week ago I got my mechanical valve. I confess, the first thing I was hopping to hear was the famous "click". But then the time came, nothing.
Moved bye the motivation of anesthesia recovering, I ask to the doctor if he realy put the "right" valve on me.
Now, seven days latter, I can hear a minimum click when I get concentratade on it. Selleping is not a problem, but in the morning I hear it more. But I thonk that noise would be umagus.

On the Internet, out side this forum, I saw people RECORDING the noise. They were in silent roons, shure, but people in my family sayd that they cant hear it at all. Even with their ears on my chest.

My girl sayd me that the nurse told that "those new mechanical valves dont make much noise". But that is intriguing.

I am recovering very well, but only sometimes I can hear the valve. I think thats good, no?

Thank you all.

Jack - I'm glad your recovery is going well! In September I had an On-X aortic valve installed and my mitral valve repaired. In a very quiet room I sometimes hear my valve. After a few minutes my brain will filter the heartbeat out as I think about other things.

I went home 6 days after surgery. Are you still in the hospital, or are you at home? How do you feel, and are you able to walk much yet? Please stay active so your lungs recover well!

My girl sayd me that the nurse told that "those new mechanical valves dont make much noise". But that is intriguing.
At first it's worse, Ibelieve its due to the inflammation (be your as tight as a drum). Perhaps also because it's so difficult to before

Time will tell, did you read my post about it? Don't waste your time listening to any recordings without headphones or you'll miss 90% of the recording

Best wishes

[QUOTE="Jack Julles Jackson, post: 929614, member: 1

I am recovering very well, but only sometimes I can hear the valve. I think thats good, no?

[/QUOTE]

I think that's great and thanks for posting. I shy away from posts about noise since my valve pre-dates the valves they use today and is of a completely different design so I can't comment on the noise levels of the newer valves. Your story confirms what I have always heard and experienced with folks who have the newer valves. I am sure some have difficulty with any noise from their valve and hopefully, it will "go away" after a while. I think the fact that you, only a week post-surgery, and I 56 years post-surgery, can't hear our valves is a pretty good testimonial for most who have that concern.

Jack - I'm glad your recovery is going well! In September I had an On-X aortic valve installed and my mitral valve repaired. In a very quiet room I sometimes hear my valve. After a few minutes my brain will filter the heartbeat out as I think about other things.

I went home 6 days after surgery. Are you still in the hospital, or are you at home? How do you feel, and are you able to walk much yet? Please stay active so your lungs recover well!
Im in home, im walking and doing lung exercises with fisioterpy orieontation. Thanks for ask.

[QUOTE="Jack Julles Jackson, post: 929614, member: 1

I think that's great and thanks for posting. I shy away from posts about noise since my valve pre-dates the valves they use today and is of a completely different design so I can't comment on the noise levels of the newer valves. Your story confirms what I have always heard and experienced with folks who have the newer valves. I am sure some have difficulty with any noise from their valve and hopefully, it will "go away" after a while. I think the fact that you, only a week post-surgery, and I 56 years post-surgery, can't hear our valves is a pretty good testimonial for most who have that concern.
[/QUOTE]

Im a psycolgyst and took the noisy valve to the therapy. I read some people had several problems with the noitse, and I did prepare for it. You can imagine the good surprise I had when I could not hear it. As sayd, I can hear it, but I need to concentrate and beeing on a very quiet place.

And, man, 56 years of a valve? I understund correctly? Thats give me too much hope. You did not had other procedures?

At first it's worse, Ibelieve its due to the inflammation (be your as tight as a drum). Perhaps also because it's so difficult to before
That was the best description what Im feeling in this moment. Hahaha
Time will tell, did you read my post about it? Don't waste your time listening to any recordings without headphones or you'll miss 90% of the recording
Ill check it.
Best wishes
For all of us clickers.

I had On-X installed just over a year ago -can hear it in a very quiet room but no one else seems to notice. It appears to be working fine even though it’s quiet.
Met with cardiologist today for routine follow up. No issues, no concerns ho hum.
I take aspirin in the am and warfarin at night. They were thinking maybe I don’t need aspirin in the morning b/c I have aortic valve replacement with higher flow and less chance of clotting. Ok but will continue as is.

Walking is the best, one week out. 6 weeks after the broken bone is healed - probably all good! Happy holidays!🎄

That's great news Jack!

As I recently shared on another thread, my experience is similar. I normally can;t hear mine, even in a quiet room. If I take an extra deep breath, I can hear it. When I exercise hard with heart rate over 150, I hear it. Sometimes I hear it when I lay down in certain positions. No one else has ever heard it except when they put their head on my chest, or if they are a doctor with a stethoscope. What little sound I hear has never bothered me. I have a St. Jude mechanical aortic valve with dacron graft replacing my aortic root and ascending aorta.

Thats give me too much hope. You did not had other procedures?

I have never had any real issues with the valve and it continues to function properly. I had a stroke when I was 38 due to my, and my doctors, ignorance of ACT. Several "heart" related issues have begun to "turn up" in my 80's that I am currently dealing with......none of those issues are directly related to my valve. I hope you also have a good history with your valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
And, man, 56 years of a valve? I understund correctly? Thats give me too much hope. You did not had other procedures?
something worth keeping in mind is the question of "what led to valve disease"

If you were a "normal healthy person" who had a bad bacterial infection (esp in pre-antibiotic proliferation days such as scarlet fever) and that then led to leaflet damage; this is a very different pathway to a congenital cause (such as BAV).

The two cause groups have (statistically speaking) very different pathways through life.

You, those who cannot hear the mechanical heart valve, are among the happiest people in the world. Before the operation on December 6th, 2023, clicking was my biggest fear. I couldn't think of anything else for months. I hate every little noise. My surgeon told me that a biological valve would only last me about 7 years (I'm 33 years old) and with the new surgeries, I wouldn't grow old. (It was already the second operation) So the only option was mechanical. I have an on x 23mm.
In the end I have to say that the noise is not as bad as expected. It's always there and I would spend all my money on it if there was a model without noise. But there are many moments during the day when I ignore it. At night it's okay so far thanks to the white noise generator.
Before I thought it would be so bad that I might even have to consider suicide at some point, but I don't think that will be the case.
For me, these big differences between not hearing at all and some hearing it so strongly that they became mentally insane are incomprehensible. So what is it about?

I hope that over time it will become even quieter for me. But basically it's absolutely okay and not worth considering having a new operation every 7 years and possibly dying from it.

My surgeon told me that a biological valve would only last me about 7 years (I'm 33 years old) and with the new surgeries, I wouldn't grow old. (It was already the second operation)
Credit to your surgeon for being straight with you. He was looking not just at the next 5 years, but 20+ years down the road for you. This is totally appropriate when the patient is so young.

Most find that the sound gets softer as the months and years pass.

Back