My 7 Year Old Needs His Valve Replacing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Curtsmum

Our Son Is 7 He Had Open Heart Surgery When He Was 18 Mounths Old, To Close A Hole And Repair A Valve. The Valve Started Leaking Again And Is Narrow.we Always Knew It Would Need Replacing,but Have Just Been Informed,it Will Need To Be Done In The Next Twelve Mounths.we Are Devestated Because They Wont Be Able To Use A Adult Size Valve And It Will Have To Be Replaced Again, I Think Around The Age Of 13. Is There Any Body Else Who Has Been Through This Ordeal.

Which valve needs replacing?

You may want to talk to a surgeon who specializes in the ROSS Procedure where they take the pulmonary valve and use it to replace a defective Aortic Valve and then replace the pulmonary valve with an artificial valve or homograft. The advantage is that one's native pulmonary valve WILL GROW as the child develops, or so I'm told. It's certainly worth discussing with someone who knows the procedure and risks / rewards. There is also a Ross Procedure web site but I don't know the location. Check the Reference Forum or do a Google Search for "Ross Procedure".

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Thankyou For Your Reply. It Is The Left Mitral Valve Seperating The Atrium & Ventricle. I Will Defantley Look Into Your Information. Once Again Thankyou.

Tucsonmoovalve said:
There is a Ross procedure for the mitral valve. Heres a link. http://ats.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/78/4/1489
God Bless your family. Hope this helps.
THANKYOU WE WILL READ UP ON THE ROSS PRECEDURE. THE DOCTORS TOLD US IT WOULD BE BEST TO WAIT AS LONG AS THEY CAN,SO THEY COULD USE A ADULT VALVE. THEY WILL DISSCUSS EVERY THING WITH US, WHEN HE IS DUE FOR SURGERY AND NOW WE CAN ASK ABOUT THE ROSS PRECEDURE. THANKYOU VERY MUCH. PAULA

Our prayers will be with you! Our daughter will be having surger this next month to replace her mitral valve and I know how I feel and she is 45!!! When such a wee one needs such huge medical intervention it is heart wrenching. Please read the prayer of Moses in your Bible as recorded at Numbers 6:24-26 and know that this is our prayer for your son and for your entire family.

Laurie's mom, Karen.

my daughter has a mitral replacement!

my daughter has a mitral replacement!

Hiya, I'm, Emma and mum to Chloe, aged 5, who had her mitral valve replaced with a mechanical one when she was 18 months old, following previous repairs on the valve and an op for her original condition of complete AVSD.
I really do know exactly how you feel - it's a terrifying experience but I can 100% honestly say it was the best thing the doctors ever did for Chloe as it increased her quality of life 1000 times over!!! She had a 25mm valve put in at only 18 months of age and they consider tat to be a 'small adult one' so she may have avoided the need for future surgery. What size are they talking about giving your son??
I never quite know how much information to give in situations like this so if you think i can be of any help to you, please just ask whatever it is you'd like to know and i will be pleased to help you as I don't want to overload you with un-necessary information!

Love Emma
xxx

Latest posts

Back