MV stenosis and Lifting weight

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NOMAD

Hello everyone

Its nice to be here. Iwas wathing the site for cpl weeks then I wanted to become a member. Again its really nice to be here and I will try to be an active member both with my questions and answers.

I had MV repair in 2002 at Einstein hospital/Philadelphia due to Mitral Reg. They just did repair anterior leaflet since posterior leaflet was in good shape. I did kind of lie to my surgeon before surgery and told him that Im a soccer player ( I was getting my Masters in Business in that time period and was 26 years old) the reason I did I just wanted to make sure that I would get back to my soccer and lifting weight after the surgery without any restriction. He said you can. And did the repair. Until a month ago I did great. Played soccer and lifted weight least 3 days in the gym.

A month ago went to Cardiologist ( its been 9 months since my last visit). By the way My Mitral problem is due to rheumatic fever. He said MV are came down from 2.14 cm2 to 1.76 cm2.. And he insisted to stop lifting weights ( he said u can play 40-50 min soccer.) He said pulmoner pressure is ok, and EF was 78 which is ok ( it was around 50 before repair) He said most likely I will get another repair in 5-6 years.

So I was expecting life time repair and after surgery surgeon and MD's said that most probably you wont need any surgery to me. After 5 years regurt. is still trace seems like my surgeon did a good job on that but stenosis is progressing.

Im still lifting because I dont wanna give up on that but Im more careful and lifting half of what I used to lift. Will be checking my MV area soon with another cardiologist for 2.nd opinion.

Take care you all

Welcome to our community!

That is most unfortunate about your mitral reapair. I am sorry for the news of your failing valve. Stenosis is something to watch annually (or semi-annually, as prescribed by your cardio), but some people are able to live without its affecting them to the point of surgery for a very long time. You sound very healthy and active; perhaps you will be one of those luckier ones who can wait for years and years.

In my case, it was aortic stenosis from a congenital bicuspid aortic valve and I suspect the different valves present some variations. I know there are many here who will chime in to give their stories of their mitral valve issues. If, in fact, they do not... you might start a thread with a new heading..... something like "failed mitral repair". That will catch some attention!

Glad to have you here. I hope we can be of some help and comfort to you as you continue to wind your way through all of this.

Welcome!!!

:) Marguerite

Sometimes trying to stay as fit as a fiddle can be your downfall. I think you can see that now. Once our native valves go, we are restricted to an extent. I don't mean put out to pasture nor confined to a rocking chair, but we cannot continue to perform like our former selves.

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't know how heavy are the weights you're lifting, but I would be careful about that, if the stenosis is progressing. Maybe you could get some other medical opinion and see if lifting light or moderate weights is okay, or not. But just in my humble layman's opinion, I believe that straining to lift heavy weights could be dangerous.

Wish you well and look forward to hearing from you.

Welcome to the community. I'm pretty much doing everything I used to do, just in moderation, although it's not like I was really the athletic type anyway. I think you are doing the right thing by doing what you love but being careful not to over do it.

Hi Nomad and Welcome!

There are several on this site who have had mitral valve repair -- but I'm not one of them so can only wish you well for now. I'm sure you will get more replies soon, ones that will more directly address your specific situation.

MV stenosis and Lifting weight

Hello friends

Due to rheumatic fever I had Mitral valve repair in 2002 when I was 26 ( regurt. was moderate to severe). Before and after my surgery there was no restriction for me so I was playing soccer twice and lifting heavy weights 3 times a week. Now stenosis started to progress and it was 2.14 cm2 just 9 months ago and it came down to 1.76 cm2 (again in 9 months..). Cardiologist has asked me if my job is so stressful or if I did workout so hard. But he also said when surgeon does repair he doesnt strech the Mitral valve more than 2.4 cm2 on purpose. The reason he surgeon does not strech more than 2.4cm2 during the repair is to prevent leaking. So if it is true it means for 4.5 years I worked out really hard and valve just shrinked to 2.14 cm2. But how come last 9 months it made more progress than it did in 4.5 years and came down to 1.76cm2. Last 5 years I was always working hard same level at the gym

So would it be right to relate it to lifting weight??

I will get second opinion since the doctor wants me to stop lifting weights ( he says go ahead and play soccer for 50 minutes or so but its not logical either since you consume more effort in soccer comparing to weight lifting)

I dont have any symptoms now and EF is around 78-80. I trained like an athlete so far and really took care of my self. Never smoked in my life and dont use an alcohol. So I just dont want any restrictions with my daily fitness.

He said I might get another surgery in 5-6 years from now. And he mentioned it can be another repair. Since this one has failed ( regurt. is still trace after 5 years which is great but stenosis has occured) I would really be reluctant for another repair. After writing this long I have basic question , If I choose mechanical valve 4-5 years from now, Could I lift weights with mechanical valve without restriction..

Thanks friends

I'll let our weightlifters address this. The largest issue is going to be the amount of weight you lift. Last thing you want to do is strain the sutures and have them rip apart.

Stenosis and Lifting Weight

Stenosis and Lifting Weight

Thanks everyone for your friendly approach.

Dear Ross Im not lifting like wrestler ROCK. To give you better picture for biceps I was lifting 45 pound for each arm and triceps I was lifting 100 pound with using both hands.

For shoulders was lifting 110 pound ( military press)with both hands and for chest it was 120 pound.

Now since My cardiologist has killed my appetite I do the half of above..

Thanks

weightlifting

weightlifting

NOMAD,
I have a bovine tissue valve and also lift weights regularly. My cardiologist told me weightlifting is okay but not to lift more than 70lbs - the surgeon on the other hand said that I can lift whatever I want. There have been a few weightlifting threads before and this seems to be the general trend: cardiologists are more conservative and will usually give you a weight limit (often between 50-70lbs) while the surgeons are more liberal. If I remember correctly this is true of both tissue and mechanical valvers but you might want to try entering "weightlifiting" in the search field and then read some of the old posts. Hope this is helpful.

Nomad,

I had AVR in 2004 and I gradually built my lifting backup.. My Cardio said that I could do whatever I could tolerate. I am benching 100 lb with no problems. I was told that I should never hold my breath during a lift, because this can greatly increase your momentary BP.

I had a lot of bad cardio's before I found one who would really think about my individual situation. One actually asked me why I wanted to ride mountain bikes at my age! I was very athletic and didn't want to sit around and waste away. I finally found a cardio who also was an avid bike rider. That made a huge difference.

I would recommend that you try to find a doctor who can understand your physical condition and who is athletic himself. You might get much better answers for your particular sport ambitions.

Jim

finding a Cardiologist who can understand the situation..

finding a Cardiologist who can understand the situation..

Dear Jim

I absolutely agree with you. Here is a live example about this old fashioned conservative cardiologists.. Yesterday I called him and told about the BP situation. And I started to my sentences on the phone by saying Dr. 2 days ago I went on Bicycle for 5 miles then 5 min after I finished bicycle program I checked my blodd pressure and it was 100 to 50 .. Is it wrong? Is it related to your prescription since you have increased the dosage of the BP medicine ( he increased my coversyl from 4 mg to 5 mg recently) He listened.. And said, You shouldnt be on the bcycle for 5 miles do 3 miles.... See the approach.. He also said it might be related to your BP medicine as well but dont exceed 3 miles on the bicycle.

He even didnt say or gave me information like PJmomrunner did. That article was clear enough to explain the situation.

I will definitely go an see another one. I should be able to stay fit with 1.76 cm2 MV stenosis.

And Jim since Im strong candidate for another surgery due to stenosis ( Card. Thinks in 4-6 years)it is nice to hear that there is a hope after replacement that I can lift heavier weights around 120-140 lbs ( for bench) .

Thank you all

Latest posts

Back