multiple OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queenie

Have any of you had 3 or more OHS for the same valve? Since 2002 I have had 2 AVR and the valve is closing up again. Wondering if 3rd time around will be an option in the span of 10 years or less.

Queenie, There are people on here who have had 3 or more heart surgeries. The key to having a successful third or more surgery is to find a surgeon who has a LOT of experience with repeats. They are dealing with different issues than surgeons who are going in for the first time, so you want to be sure they are prepared to be able to handle what they may come across. I have had two surgeries myself so am not in your shoes yet.

Is your valve a tissue or mechanical valve? Are you getting the same type of valve every time? Have you thought about getting something different so that you don't keep having the same problem?

Kim

Kim

Kim, I had a mechanical valve implanted in 2002 because of a BAV, I developed pannus(scar tissue) around the valve and had to have it replaced in 2008. I wanted another mechanical in the off chance it wouldn't happen again, however, the surgeon had to use a tissue valve because the mechanical would not seat properly. I am 2 years post-op and the peak gradient across the valve is now 49, it is progressing faster than it did last time. I know folks have had multiple surgeries, just don't know of any that have had the exact same valve replaced so many times in such a short span of time. I am contacting my surgeon today to see if I will be a candidate again. SURE hope SO. Not ready to check out yet at the age of 49.

Hi Queenie - I'm sorry to read this and hope you will get much better news than you may expect. I did; my tissue valve opening got smaller and the gradients increased but now it's apparently just holding its own and I was so relieved when I was told the valve is working very well and could continue for as many years as I've already had it or more. Best wishes to you :)

Sorry to hear that you are having so many repeat issues with your aortic valve. I have had 4 heart surgeries in the span of 45 years. 3 out of 4 of those have been on my pulmonary valve. The last time was last May and I had minimal to no complications.

Debbie

That is encouraging to hear, what was the reason you needed re-op on your pulmonic valve and do you have any other heart issues?

I had my pulmonary valve removed when I was 6 and lived without a pulmonary valve for 19 years. I had a tissue valve placed at the age of 25 and 44. Next time they are hoping they can replace the valve in the cath lab.

Debbie

jUST A THOUGHT fOR ME THE PANUS GROWTH ISSUE IS EXACTLY WHY i WILL BE USING THE ONX VALVE. TO MY KNOWLEGE IT IS DESIGNED TO BLOCK PANUS GROWTH, WHEN I TALKED TO THE COMPANY THEY TOLD ME THEY HAVE NEVER HAD THIS PROUBLEM WITH THIS VALVE.

Since you haven't had much success with these, I would go to another center rather than contact the same surgeon again (if that's what you're doing). Look for the most experienced center with the highest volume that is practical for you to get to. This is the third time now, and you can't mess around anymore.

Hi queenie

What was the brand and model name of the original mechanical AV ?

Thanks

My father just had his 3rd OHS last week. He had to replace his aorta for the 2nd time in less than 1 year.

He traveled to the Cleveland CLinic from NJ this time around. Given his age and the fact that it was his 3rd OHS... we weren't taking any chances... so we went for the absolute best. Dr Pettersson has proven to be just that!!!

Best of luck and lots of good health to you!

Have any of you had 3 or more OHS for the same valve?

Yep!

November 1977 (#1 ... to install pig's valve to replace pulmonary one I was born without)
March 1987 (#2 ... to replace original pig's valve with 2nd PV)
January 2003 (#3 ... to replace PV# 2 with PV# 3)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* 06/2011.RT=us66+NW USA*
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"You can say there's no such thing as Santa" ... Elmo'N'Patsy ... 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer'

Latest posts

Back