moving and insurance

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Christine

hi all.. I'm moving back home to Pennsylvania in May.. my question is this.. as far as insurance goes.. do I have a pre-existing condition? (AVR this past june, seeing cardio every two months, take warfarin, beta blocker, BP and cholesterol meds) some people think i'll have a hard time finding insurance which will cover my doc and scripts while i'm between jobs - and if i do, it'll be expensive... (as in cobra) plus they think, when i do find a job, i'd have to wait a year or so before i'll be covered for my doc visits and scripts.. this kinda makes me nervous..

anyone run into this situation?

thanks

christine

I don't think I am disagreeing with Ross here, the condition is "pre-existing" but for insurance coverage purposes, I think the key is "continuously insured". That is you can not have even a single day where some health insurance is not in force. Otherwise, the pre-existing condition stuff kicks in and they rider out that condition for long times. You need to stay insured via cobra or whatever and get on new employer's insurance ASAP. Your present insurance company will provide a letter showing coverage to a certain day for that purpose.

Some states may have different rules, you should check, but for goodness sake stay insured at all costs.

Others here may have more specific knowledge but we changed insurance just weeks after my surgery(not because we wanted to, but my wifes job was "privatized" and she went to work for a different company with different insurance) and I got the letter I mentioned and the current insurer is paying for doc and labs and meds just like the old company.

Best of Luck

Last edited:
HIPAA

HIPAA

I think what Bill is referring to is called a HIPAA certificate. I don't remember all the terms of that acronym, but the critical phrase it addresses is something about "portability of benefits." It is, I believe, a federal regulation that eliminates the pre-existing condition clauses of medical insurance policies if you have a) been granted coverage under a previous plan; and b) have had continuous coverage without lapse. That's why Bill advised you to do whatever you can to remain insured.

If COBRA is too costly, are there any professional association plans you could apply for? What about AARP? (No, please don't be offended if you're too young to qualify for AARP -- I didn't look!)

thanks for the imput.. i'm going to get on cobra.. for up to 6 months it's $140/month with a $500 deductable.. i need to get quoted if I want long term.. thanks again..

Yes it is considered a preexisting condition. My husband was going to get out of the navy, and we were wondering what we were supposed to do about my health insurance deal, and we found all that stuff out. I know Cobra is expensive but you should get it until you get on a group insurance or they could deny any claims that have to do with your heart, saying that while you were uninsured your condition could have worsened. I know, stupid, but that's how it is. Good luck!

Hi Christine,
Just wondering what area of PA you are moving too. I grew up there. Just curious if it is close to where I grew up. I can't really add much to what everyone else has already said about the insurance. I hope all goes well for you.

Take Care!
Gail

Hi, my hometown is Pottstown, PA... it's about an hour northwest of Philly.. near Reading and King of Prussia.. I moved to Dallas 12 years ago - young, wanted to see something different.. job took me here.. 12 years and one open heart surgery later.. it's time for me to go back home.. i'm not married (actually ending a 5 year live-in relationship - we're still friends, just not in love)

ironically with all this talk of war and terror attacks.. I don't know which is worse.. living in a metropolitan area or moving home with a nuclear power plant in my back yard... seriously.. I just pray for peace, guidance and safety.. i know no one area is safer or better.. the big difference is i'll be near family..

Hi Christine - they are right - don't go even one day w/o insurance. I did and then couldn't get it - and I was comparatively young, healthy at the time. I didn't choose the COBRA because I didn't know any better but I sure advise others I meet to get it, even tho it is expensive. You will get new when you get settled at home.

And being home is always good................Bet the family will be happy to get you back with them. I know I miss the two of mine who are far and wish I could just pop in the car and run over to see them, or vice versa.

Latest posts

Back