Motorcycle maddness; life post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

I'm not quite 7 weeks post surgery, and had planned to keep the motorcycle parked until September. However, I FEEL GOOD!! Soooo, in spite of my better judgement, I fired it up and went for a ride. The wind in my hair, the motor and my heart both purring along smoothly...life is indeed grand with the memory of surgery fading into the past.

For Ross and Jymme, and for others with surgery coming up, the picture below (roses included) is my metaphor for the happiness I hope is in all of our post-op futures!

John, I've been pretty sedentary since this lung thing of mine happened, but I'll tell ya what, If I can have some energy and not be so tired all the time, it's worth it for me. :) I just wish Valvies were allowed to have their pilot certificates. :(

Ross,
GOOD NEWS! There is a brand new pilot certification that will be approved shortly by the FAA for sport and recreation pilots; you won't be required to have a medical certificate as long as you are healthy enough to have a regular drivers license.

I fly myself, and if this is an interest of yours, I'll tell you all about it when you are on the road to recovery!

--John
P.S. I'm in the process of building a Zodiac XL two-seater airplane...maybe we'll go flying someday!

That would be great! I had all but 4hrs of cross country solo time to finish and the check ride to take before I would've had my Private Cert. Things have changed so much since then that I almost feel like I'd need to start over. All my time was in Cessna 152's. I wanted to rent the 172, but financially that wasn't a possibility then. Heck, it isn't now either, but I can dream. :)

xl-ata.jpg

I hope it's REAL NEW!

Q. When required, what class of medical certificate must a student pilot have?

A. Third-class, although any class will suffice. Medical certificates are designated as first-class, second-class, or third-class. Generally, first-class is designed for the airline transport pilot; second-class for the commercial pilot; and third-class for the student, recreational and private pilot.

§ 67.311 Cardiovascular.

Cardiovascular standards for a thirdclass airman medical certificate are no established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:

(a) Myocardial infarction;

(b) Angina pectoris;

(c) Coronary heart disease that has required treatment or, if untreated, that has been symptomatic or clinically significant;

(d) Cardiac valve replacement;

(e) Permanent cardiac pacemaker implantation; or

(f) Heart replacement.

Last edited:
The following link gives the details for the new "Sport Pilot Airman's Certificate":
http://www.sportpilot.org/faq/printable/faqs_medical.html

The most salient text from the above is as follows:

Medical Requirements for a student pilot, pilot, or instructor rating-Sport Pilot Airman's Certification

Much confusion seems to exist about the medical requirements of an individual wishing to obtain a student pilot, pilot, instructor, or examiner rating under the sport pilot airman's certificate. In the following Q&A's, we'll try to reduce this confusion.

Q. What medical certification must I hold to be a sport pilot?

A. As proposed by the rule [see SFAR 89 Section 15], a sport pilot who flies a fixed-wing, gyroplane, powered parachute, or weight-shift-control aircraft, must hold either a current and valid U.S. driver's license (issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government), OR a current and valid airman medical certificate issued under FAR 67.

So, Ross, you WILL get to be a FLYING screw ball after all:D

HEY!!

HEY!!

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR MUSTACHE??!! Don't tell me The Knife got that too! Almost didn't recognize you....
-Jennie:D

Suh-WEET!

Suh-WEET!

Hey, John, that's a mighty nice looking ride there. And thanks for the info on the sport pilot ratings. It's long been a dream of mine to get my licence after my kid gets all grown up. I had presumed the valve work dashed that hope forever.

Thanks for giving me something to hope for :D

Jennie,
The mustache has been gone for quite a while now, and it was gone when I visited you in the hospital! I can't pick on you though, since you were still on the "good" drugs then.

By the way, I believe you were looking for a use for that machete you keep by your bed; we both know a guy who is going to get a major shave shortly, soooo......

Johnny,
Flying is a ton of fun. I'm not so big on cross country flying, but a buzz around the countryside is great fun!

We all need to make those dreams come true...go for it!

--John

Last edited:
Lookin Good John!

Lookin Good John!

Nice looking bike, Dr. King must have wired you up nice and tight to feel comfortable riding at 7 wks. I've ridden most of my life also, however I sold my bike this winter when we bought a new house. I'll let you know when I get a new one and we'll go for a ride.
Ride on.

Brooks,
As far as how Dr. King wired me up, I should explain that I did end up with a mini-sternotomy after all, albeit a "bigger" mini-sternotomy than originally planned. This left quite a bit of structural integrity to the rib cage, and my chest feels quite strong. Also, my bike has swept back handlebars, so I'm not really putting any weight on my arms at all. I'm not planning on riding much for another few weeks, but just that one ride REALLY made me feel good!:) :cool:

I also rode most of my life, but did take a prolonged riding sabbatical when my kids were young (gives you something to look forward to when those grey hairs start popping up).

Hope you're continuing to do well, Brooks. Our little SynerGraft family continues to grow with the addition of JJ, who sounds like she is recovering well (go JJ!!).

--John
P.S. Maybe we can form a VR.com chapter of Hells Angels?

Last edited:
Hey John!
I thought you looked different when I saw you in the hospital, but considering I had never seen you in person before, I couldn't quite piece it together! Anyway, cool bike. Don't be doing any wheelies yet....
-Jennie

Latest posts

Back