More on Magnesium

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Perrster

Maybe I should have called this thread Moron Magnesium after you've read it?

But, here it goes anyway.

I am curious to learn what the min./max. doses of Magnesium some of you may be taking? I have been taking 250mg Magnesium twice daily for a little less than a year now and while I have noticed it has helped with minor Arrythmias, I wonder if I can take more to help another symptom? How much Magnesium is TOO much? Am I not taking enough?

Here's my problem:
I am experiencing strange "squishy, thumping, throbbing" sounds in my head. My head sounds / feels like a Maytag washer! I don't have headaches per se, yet the squishy sound has reached annoying overload status. (Yeah, I know, it could be a loose screw!!) Anyway, I am almost 2 years post-op and haven't noticed (or paid much attention to it) until recently.

Oddly enough, these symptoms are most prevalent and noticeable when I am at rest, in my car, reading or watching TV, and right now as I sit here keyboarding this information. I don't notice it at work and I definitely don't notice it during exercise. In retrospect, I haven't felt this good in years! Actually, I feel fantastic, except I wish I could pitch the dang washing machine.

How have you all dealt with the physiological/mechanical nature of your pulse? Do any of you experience a pulse like this? Do you think Magnesium will help?

My PCP has told me I have a "bounding pulse" due to the way my mechanical valves function. i.e., the valves are thrust open and closed vs. the fluid, easy opening and closing movement of normal heart valve tissue. He said I should just get used to it and ignore it. However, I would now call it more like a "basketball pulse." Sometimes my chest, neck and head feel like an NBA game is going on in there! Yup, I'm just sitting here perpetually bouncing a basketball on a wood floor!

I thought it could be a blood pressure related problem, but my bp is great (just checked it: 137/67. Pulse 63). Of course, with my white coat syndrome, my BP goes way up whenever I'm in a doctor's presence!

I'm trying to ingore it, but it may take more time than I want to let it take. I feel great during and after exercise, but I surely can't keep moving 24hrs. a day! When I finally do go to sleep, it's because I've passed out, not fallen asleep. I awake every two hours as well, but manage to get enough sleep and don't tire during the day.

I haven't dicsussed it with my Cardiologist yet, because I'm getting a new cardio doc and don't have an appointment yet. Perhaps it is a weird combination of my medications: beta-blocker (Toprol XL), ace-inhibitor (Altace) and Digoxin. I've also cut caffeine out almost entirely. Anyway, this is the discussion I plan to have with my Cardiologist. I thought I'd practice it on you guys.

Perhaps someone could also suggest another forum where I can post this stuff? I hope to overcome this the natural way if at all possible.

Thank you all for listening.

Hey Perry

Happy to see you have such a great disposition when your irritated! My Maytag and range have been doing a good job of banging around latley. They are jealouls that I am leaving them. Why does this happen every time we move???!!! GRRRR.

Anyway, the only information I can offer you is that I experienced similar symptoms to yours for the first 1-1/2 or maybe two years. Once we found the proper medication. Beta Blocker in my case.... it subsided. I am not happy with the fact that my metabolism is practically non-exsistant in lack of better terms. I could do without the weight packed on.....but I feel so much better.

In answer to your question on the magnesium. I believe the RDA is 450MG or close to that. I would not take any more than that until you talk to your cardiologist. Did you ask Lorraine if she experiences the same with her dual valves?

Keep up posted.
Take care

Last edited:
Perry-
See it's those beta blockers. They mess with you.

Since I quit taking them, I don't feel that aquishy brain feeling.

I have been taking 400mg of magnesium for almost 3 years. I take it once a day.

-Mara

Janie and Rain had such good things to say about magnesium that I tried it. I really can feel an improvement. It is one of the best things I have done. My cardiologist doesn't seem to care. I take
approx. 375 mg. daily. One 250 mg. and 2 64 mg. delayed release tablets. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back