Moderate Aortic Regurgitation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi everyone,

I have moderate regurgitation. Last doctor said I had mild to moderate. Is that a big difference or maybe just subjective? One dr could think one and one the other while looking at the same test?

i was told as a kid intervention wasn’t likely until 50s or 60s...Given I am 28 now with moderate regurgitation, would you say I’m still on that track?? How long does one usually stay there?

If my ejection fraction is 55-60% why does that mean?
i put the conclusion from my test below for reference. ANY help would be appreciated.

CONCLUSIONS:
1. Normal LV size, normal wall thickness, normal systolic function, normal LV diastolic function.
2. Left ventricular ejection fraction is approximately 55-60%.
3. Normal right ventricular size and normal systolic function.
4. Bicuspid aortic valve morphology with moderate regurgitation.
5. Normal pulmonary artery systolic pressure.
6. Mildly enlarged mid ascending aorta (4.0 cm) without coarctation.

best

Hi, your ejection fraction is good that is a normal range

your wall thickness is normal showing your heart isnt having to compensate

there is a degree of interpretation so you could be years and years away from surgery

being bicuspid usually in a lot of cases causes an aneurysm too that's why your aorta is slightly enlarged

i would suspect given the results and your age you will be a watch and observe

there is a chance the dilated aorta may be an issue before the regurgitation

there are things you can do to mitigate against the dilation mainly in Blood pressure control

you have come to the right place, far more knowledgeable people will be along soon.

Last edited:
You’re in the right place!! People much smarter and with more experience than I will come along shortly, but I’m at a similar point to you and my cardio at UCLA labeled it the early stages. You’re conclusions are very good other than the dialated aorta, though mine his been dialated a very long time without growing. My cardio says I’m looking at 50s so I’d assume you are as well. Although you really never know, there are people in this forum who were moderate for 15+ years and then ppl who went from moderate to severe in a couple years. The tissue vs mechanical question is the topic I’m interested in currently. Also finding healthy workout stuff now that I can’t lift heavy weights.

Im no expert on this either , all your specs look good apart from your moderate leakage.
I think from moderate it goes moderate severe, severe eccentric.
Only a guess but at 28 I think with signs of deteriation already another 20 years without intervention is unlikely.
I was around 7 yrs from diagnosis of BAVD to surgery.

Guest;n884331 said:
CONCLUSIONS:
6. Mildly enlarged mid ascending aorta (4.0 cm) without coarctation.
Agree with leadville... I'd try pounding the table for some BP meds, I went from ~ 4.0 to > 5 cm in about three years.

My cardio said i has severe AV regurgitation, while surgeon said moderate, so some readings seem to be subjective... Aorta measurement went over the 5 cm threshold for BAV, cardiologist threw up his hands and sent me to the surgeon, whom said ''get'r done" ... done...

I disagree with Warrick on that. Most are born with BAV, and the most common ages for surgery are 50 and 60. Diagnosis doesn’t really have anything to do with progression. I was diagnosed at 7yrs old and am 27 without diagnosed. My grandpa got surgery at 64 and was moderate until late 50s. Also I’ve never heard of eccentric as s stage. Truth is many go late until 50s and some 30s. Just stay up on your yearly appts.

Jmprosser.lab;n884361 said:
I disagree with Warrick on that. Most are born with BAV, and the most common ages for surgery are 50 and 60. Diagnosis doesn’t really have anything to do with progression. I was diagnosed at 7yrs old and am 27 without diagnosed. My grandpa got surgery at 64 and was moderate until late 50s. Also I’ve never heard of eccentric as s stage. Truth is many go late until 50s and some 30s. Just stay up on your yearly appts.
As stated I'm no expert either and it was a guess as stated but I still think that another 20 years with moderate leakage already not progressing is unlikely IMO. But it would be nice to be wrong too :)
Even as the OP pointed out it's subjective.

I'm not sure what you mean most are born with BAV ? BAVD doesn't happen after you are born, and from what I understand its 1-2% of the population. The rest have 3 leaflet aortic valves

I might have the eccentric thing slightly up the poop but this below explains it, it's more to do with the directional squirt of the leakage jet rather than a degree of the regurgitation, but it is an acrimonious part of the stage. I've learnt something, thankyou.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12890908

disagreement is the basis of conversation ... not much to talk about if we all see it the same way.

Jmprosser.lab;n884361 said:
... Most are born with BAV,

I would have said that if you have BAV you were born with it, there are no exceptions to my understanding. Can you cite one?

and the most common ages for surgery are 50 and 60. Diagnosis doesn’t really have anything to do with progression.

well perhaps, but progression is as far as I know the most common reason for diagnosis. There are many who have it, didn't know and when it progresses go to a doctor and get diagnosed. Thus progression can play a significant role in diagnosis.

Some were diagnosed early by an astute medical person, some (like me) were diagnosed early (5 years old) due to the condition being manifest ... I had my first surgery at 10 or 12 or something...

I was diagnosed at 7yrs old and am 27 without diagnosed.

?? you were diagnosed at 7 but got to 27 without diagnosis? Do you mean "Got to 27 without need for intervention" ??

If that's what you meant, then that would be because you didn't suffer progression ... as the OP has apparently.

Truth is many go late until 50s and some 30s. Just stay up on your yearly appts.

correct, but such rule of thumb is not "the indicator" .. measurement is. And so we have agreement, the yearly appointments for measurment are the best thing the OP can do ... well that and don't get anxious, just take the data and make the simple decision:

needed yet [y/n]?
n = come back next year
y = start planning for surgery

Best Wishes

Back