Mitral Valve Surgery Study

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incredible Christian! Thanks for the link. Coincidentally one of the "trial' hospitals is in Chicagoland area.

Though it is too late for me...I do have have a few people close to me with valve disease.
Thanks again.

Wow! That is fantastic!

I especially like the concept of using a form of cardiac catheritization to control mitral valve leakage:

<<The first procedure is performed in the cardiac catheterization laboratory in consenting patients, with the aid of echocardiography. A special catheter with a very small clip-like device is inserted into the femoral vein, in the groin, and advanced to the heart. With precise controlled movements, and guided by echocardiography, the cardiologist attaches the clip to the leaflets of the mitral valve, and the catheter is removed. Scar tissue forms over the clip and holds the valve leaflets in their new position, which limits the leakage. >>

And then there is the work being done by Dr. Carpentier & others doing valve surgery with robots. It all makes me think that valve surgery may well have a completely different "look" by the time, in 10-15 years, when the current tissue valves wear out. "Second surgeries" for those who need them may not be quite so daunting.

Thanks Christian, that was pretty interesting. I had my mitral valve replacement 12 years ago and they certainly have come a long way.

Christian, wow these are both great links. I'm learning so much before my surgery. I printed this information out for my family to try to keep them informed of what is going to happen.

Thanks for the info.

Love and God Bless, Glenda

Latest posts

Back