Mitral Valve Repairs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryC

I have seen quite a few threads about how long tissue and mechanical valves will last. I recently had my mitral valve repaired (02/21/07) and was curious to see how long VR members MV repairs have lasted. I have seen information about some repairs that didn't last very long but don't feel I have gotten all the repairs input. Does anyone have any information about MV repairs?

My husband's 1 year anniversary is coming up and so far so good. :)
His surgeon and cardio also told him it should last a life time.

My surgeon said that the repair would last at least longer than the tissue valve I had chosen (the bovine). She referred to it as a 20+ year repair at least.

I have an annuplasty ring, don't know if that changes lifespan of the repair.....

It's only been 17 months since my MV repair, but my surgeon whom I saw recently at the valve clinic of the hospital (I think they do statistics at the valve clinic) said first it should last at least 20 years (I have a feeling they say 20 years because modern repair techniques don't go back much more than that). I said to him "There's longevity in my family. It has to last at least 30 years!" He said, "It'll last 30 years!! Who knows? I sure hope so. My repair was not the usual type where they cut out a section since my annulus was too calcified. He used Goretex to repair the ruptured chordae and pull down the valve, and he put an Edwards ring around the annulus.

Ruth, from what I've read, an annuloplasty improves the length of time the repair will last.

Mary - My repair was done six years ago. So far no issues. They tell me it could be a permanent fix.

MV Repair

MV Repair

Well, so far mine has lasted at least 9 days (LOL). I do have the annuloplasty ring around my repair. My parents and husband asked the same Q of my surgeon when he came out of the op room and he said it should last indefinitely with only a 1% risk of failing. I figure if and when I ever have to worry about it, by that time they will have come out with an easier way of fixing things...

LindaVA
3/9/07 MV Repair by Heart Port, U Penn Presby

I remembered reading about MV repair on the Cleveland Clinic website.

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/guide/disease/valve/mvrepairFAQ.htm

"What is the durability of a mitral valve repair?

After mitral valve repair, 95% of patients are free of reoperation at 10 years, and this statistic is similar at 20 years. Thus, reoperation is uncommon after a successful mitral valve repair. An echocardiogram is recommended annually to assess valve function. In addition, patients who had valve surgery must take antibiotics before dental or other procedures to prevent infection and reduce the risk of endocarditis (an infection of the valve)."

Boy, things have really come a long way in mitral valve repair since I had mine done in 1974. I was told mine would last at most 10 years. I got seven out of mine. I guess the upside was that I knew I would have to get a replacement so I had a few years to prepare!;) LINDA

Adrienne, thanks for the info on the annuplasty ring.

For the $3,459 it cost I would expect it to have some value, LOL.

Ruth

I had my mitral repair with an annuloplasty ring almost 2 years ago. My valve is now stenotic and I'm facing a valve replacement in the future. I'm not sure when exactly, I not symptomatic enough for them to recommend it even though I feel horrible all the time. *sigh*

I don't think my situation is very usual though. Hopefully yours will last longer!

Mine's almost 5 years old!

Mine's almost 5 years old!

When I saw my surgeon for my one month post-op appt. he said, "That repair should last you for the rest of your life, now get out of here, I never want to see you again!". I guess he meant that in a good way.:rolleyes: BTW, I also have an annuloplasty ring.

Anyway, so far...so good, but I've got an echo scheduled for April 5th, since I will soon be 5 years out, I wanted to see what's going on and my PCP agreed it was a good idea. Then I went and told him I'd been having occasional minor chest pain/pressure lately, and he said I'd just "bought myself another test". :eek: They're going to do a "Nuclear Stress Test" on the same day. I guess this is more to check to see if there is any arterial blockage and not valve related. I'll let y'all know what I find out in a few weeks.

Almost 5 years

Almost 5 years

My repair was done in june 2002. I didnt have any problem since than except when I went to see a cardiologist who miscalculated my mitral valve area . I went to another cardiologist a month ago and he said even when you look at the valve on the screen you can tell by just look that his calculation was wrong and he saidseems like you had great surgery with great timing.
( Speaking of timing, I mentioned to him that my EF was 40-45 before surgery , currently 66)

Surgeon didnt touch to posterior leaflet during repairement. He just did repair the anterior and implemented a ring. It is more difficult to repair anterior leaflet comparing to posterior but it is better in terms of longevity that having only one leaflet repaired instead of two. My disadvantage is rheumatic fever bacground. Sometimes it leads to degeneration. I hope not.

Im ok if I can go least 10-15 years more without a surgery. I expect new advancement in next 10 years with both mechanical valves and surgery technics.

Hi Nomad,
Sounds like you have gotten positive feedback regarding your repair. What do you mean when you say the cardiologist miscalculated your mitral valve area?

MV repair

MV repair

Dear Mary

I had a post here that I was suggesting always a second opinion for the members of valvereplacement. My first doctor in Turkey (after I come to Turkey from US) checked me with Echo and said first MV area is 2.14cm2 then 9 months after when I went to see him ( didnt have any symptom or anything at all) he said area is 1.76cm2 .

I went to second opinion from different cardiologist and he said This machine ( Echo) needs to be used with someone professional and being a cardiologist doesnt make a doctor qualified to get the right numbers with echo machine. People study for specific operation and most cardilogist can only interprete the numbers usually they shouldnt do the echo ( unless they know what are they doing)

So he said your area is at least 2.4 cm2. And you had a good surgery. I mentioned him that with repairs surgeons strech the valve area not more than 2.4 cm2 and he said yes. He said the reason they dont strech the valve more than 2.4-2.5 cm2 during the surgery is otherwise valve can not close completely and it will cause leaking.

Im in a hurry little bit, I hope I did answer your question mary

I'm nine months (and counting) into my mitral repair. After a few "scares" (semi-valve related) within a few months after my surgery, I feel really confident that my repair will last. My cardio is very pleased with the results and is sure my valve will give me decades of life, and since I trust my doctor, I have to agree. I have trace regurgitation, which is considered normal. The way my cardio explained it to me is that all people have some "give" to their valves, and that it is nothing to worry about.

Three weeks after my surgery, I had a meeting with one of the surgeons to discuss my valve repair. He said statistically speaking, my valve should last me at least 20 years, and hopefully longer. He did say that valve surgery can be a sort of crapshoot and my valve could fail any time, but not to dwell on it. After all, I lived the first 30 years of my life with a leaky valve without giving it much thought. Now that it's fixed, I just concentrate on living. If my valve takes me to my grave when I'm 90 ;) so be it, but if I ever need valve surgery again, I'll deal with it when the time comes.

Debi (debster913)

Since my husband is facing MV repair, I was curious about the durability of MV repairs and found this during a google:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/104/suppl_1/I-1

Maurice Enriquez-Sarano, MD, one of the authors, is at the Mayo Clinic, I believe. I e-mailed him after publication of an article in the New England Journal of Medicine concerning when to go into surgery, establishing echo numbers for cardios to look for.

Latest posts

Back