mitral valve repair - need surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alex1307

Hello,

I have a problem with my mitral valve, so I was told I needed
a surgery. Could you please recommend me a good surgeon
in NJ and around, who specializes in mitral valve repair?

Thanks,
Alex

hi alex!
welcome to this wonderful site. everyone here is so warm, caring , informative and helpful.
i'm sure if you look through some of the more recent threads you will find sites recommended to others that refer to some of the better surgeons in nyc. i'm not sure about n.j., but if you just give it some time, i'm sure some others will come forward and help out here.
please keep us posted on what you end up doing and keep coming back.
be well, sylvia

Welcome to the site. Could the person that told you that you had mitral valve problems not recommend a surgeon to you? Call your dr's office and ask for referrals. They should be glad to help. Good luck.....

Hi and welcome to this wonderful site. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your mitral valve. The best thing you can do is find out specifically what your problems are and do as much research as you can. Find out what your options are. It sounds like you are just starting this journey. It will be tough; this part of the journey seems to be the most difficult. I can't really help you too much with finding a good surgeon in the New York area. I do know that several people here have had excellent surgeons, in the New York area, do their surgeries. I'm sure some will come along and give you some names. In the meantime, you could check out the following sites. They helped me decide where to go for second and third opinions. I was eventually sent to Cleveland Clinic.

www.100Tophospitals.com
www.healthgrades.com

I hope this helps.

Take Care!
Gail

alex1307

alex1307

What part of NJ are you from, their are big city hospitals near us from NY to PA, I had mine done in Deborah heart & lung ctr, I feel it's the best, but you have many options.

Ask your primary care physician and/or your cardiologist

and check out the resources that creed gave you,

best of luck,

terry40

hi

welcome to the site. i just had my aortic valve replaced at NYU on 12/26/02. they did it using the minimal invasive technique which means they do not crack open your breastbone. this procedure makes the recovery time much easier. if you have any questions just ask. take care and good luck.

richie rich

Alex - Welcome to the site. When I was living in NJ, my cardio was from Rob't Wood Johnson. He told me that most of the surgeons were about equal, unless I went to one of the big places, Cleveland or Houston. I eventually went to Cleveland to have my Mitral repair and Aortic replacement in Jan 2001. Anyway, there are good hospitals in NY or Philly that you might want to consider. I don't have any surgeon names to help you.

Dear All,

I didn't expect so much so soon! Thank you, it's a beautiful
site. I wish I found it earlier...

As for a surgeon - yes, my cardiologist refered me to someone,
but I hoped to get a reference from somebody else. I'd be
happy if this reference will be to the same surgeon!!!

My impression - each cardiologist used to refer to his favorite
surgeon. So, you actually don't have a choice. Another
cardiologist - another surgeon.

Correct me, if I'm wrong!

I considered three hospitals in NJ - Robert Wood Johnson,
Jersey Shore and Morristown Memorial. Does anybody have
some info about these sites and their surgeons?

Alex

alex

if you are willing to have the surgery in new york city then i highly recommend Dr. Steve Colvin at NYU. He performs over 150 valve jobs a year. He also does the minimal invasive procedure. The link that Nancy posted is very good also since it list number of valve jobs which is very important. Don't let the fact that the hospital is not in your backyard be a major concern. When I started looking for a surgeon in December I was hell bend on staying on Long Island. I was going to use Dr. Damus at St. Francis which is about 25 minutes from my house. I didn't want to go to the city. After visitng 3 surgeons ( 1 LI, 2 NYC ) i realized that the small incovience of traveling to the city was worth it. I live about 1 15 minutes from NYC. Good luck finding a surgeon.

Rich

Richie,

Thank you for the reference. But it looks like Dr. Colvin doesn't
accept my insurance (United Healthcare)

Alex

Back