Mitral Valve Regurgitation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hello,
Hoping this finds all of you in preparation for some relaxation and good food. I am writing to ask about this subject.

In late 2011 I was treated for SVT with a catheter ablation that fixed the rapid heart beat events.

A couple months ago during a routine checkup my GP asked if I was aware that I had a murmur.

She ordered an echo and the echo indicated moderate to severe mitral valve regurgitation. I saw the cardiologist and he seemed skeptical of general echos and said he wished to take a closer look through the transesophigal echocardiagram. I am having this done 11/30. I am symptomatic with bad shortness of breath, periodic tightness in chest and next to no energy at all. In the last handful of months I can't get a decent run on the treadmill at all without having to stop and walk. I am 45 years old.

I was under the impression from Northwestern that in this instance they'd typically order a stress echo so they can observe the heart at work (read : not at rest). Rush Copley believes that they administer this only when stenosis is present. I am wondering, should I even try exercising at all until this is cleared up. Cardiologist seemed to think running is fine but to stay away from isometric exercises.

Just feeling a little unclear and alot anxious and open to your feedback. Thanks.

While I can't speak to your regurgition, when a general echo indicated BAV with severe stenosis, my cardio ordered a TEE to confirm the diagnosis. He then ordered the chemical stress test. So my cardio did one step at a time.

I did - and still have - a sedentary lifestyle and took it upon myself to hold off on the little bit of tread milling I'd been doing. I was having SoB as well.

Hopefully you'll hear from folks with an experience closer to your own so you can compare apples to apples.

How upsetting !! I just spent 20 minutes post and went back into edit and my whole post deleted 😕😕😕
This has happened far to often to mention. 😕😕😕😕 sigh !

Harriet, maybe you should type your response in another program first, such as Word or even as an example mail draft. Then when you are done you can copy/paste it here. That's what I do if I see that it's taking me a while to compose my thoughts so I don't risk timing out and losing it. I know that is frustrating.

I run with mod severe mitral regurg that I have had for many years, but I am asymptomatic. Your symptoms sound like maybe switching to exercise that is comfortable and energizing would be prudent while you go through testing Hope you got good info from your TEE.

Guest;n860583 said:
Hello,
Hoping this finds all of you in preparation for some relaxation and good food. I am writing to ask about this subject.

In late 2011 I was treated for SVT with a catheter ablation that fixed the rapid heart beat events.

A couple months ago during a routine checkup my GP asked if I was aware that I had a murmur.

She ordered an echo and the echo indicated moderate to severe mitral valve regurgitation. I saw the cardiologist and he seemed skeptical of general echos and said he wished to take a closer look through the transesophigal echocardiagram. I am having this done 11/30. I am symptomatic with bad shortness of breath, periodic tightness in chest and next to no energy at all. In the last handful of months I can't get a decent run on the treadmill at all without having to stop and walk. I am 45 years old.

I was under the impression from Northwestern that in this instance they'd typically order a stress echo so they can observe the heart at work (read : not at rest). Rush Copley believes that they administer this only when stenosis is present. I am wondering, should I even try exercising at all until this is cleared up. Cardiologist seemed to think running is fine but to stay away from isometric exercises.

Just feeling a little unclear and alot anxious and open to your feedback. Thanks.

I'm a bit confused, how could you have had an ablation without an echo before hand done by a very qualified Dr? It is very possible the SVT was related to the MVP, and the echo would also help to confirm if you've have any changes to the left side of your heart. You can have structural changes to your heart as a result of your regurg. I'm not doctor but have lived through this whole saga. Get the echo, and make sure its done by someone other than a tech. Then you cn go for more fancy tests. My opinion at least

Back