Mitral and aortic valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Abbey

I am a 42 year old school teacher. I had rheumatic fever as a child which resulted in damage to my mitral and aortic valves. I have been monitored by cardiologists for the last 25 years. On my last visit (4-22-02), I was told that both valves would need to be replaced within the year.
My next appointment is August 22nd. That's when the cardiologist will decide what he needs to do.
Although I've always known I would probably need this surgery some day, I didn't expect it to be so soon.
I've been searching the Internet for information on valve replacement surgery, but I haven't found many people who have required both valves to be replaced. If there is anyone with any information to share about two valve replacement surgery, I would be forever grateful.
Thank you very much, and I look forward to your responses.

Hi Abbey-

Welcome to this wonderful website. This is a great group of people, and the best thing is that we all "get it".

My husband had rheumatic fever as a teenager. He had his first valve replacement, aortic-mechanical in 1977 when he was 46. He had his mitral valve replaced with a mechanical in 1999. He also had a repair of the mitral for a small leak in 2001. He's got a pacemaker too, plus has had a variety of other major and minor surgeries. He's 70 now.

These surgeries have saved his life many times over.

There are several people on the site who have had both valves replaced at the same time and I'm sure they'll come along soon and share experiences with you.

It's difficult to have to face this surgery, but the more you study and know about it, the more comfortable you will be with the idea. The surgery has been technically perfected to a high degree and the mortality rate is low. The surgeons who do this are highly trained and very dedicated.

Take some time to read through as many posts as you can and be sure to read the personal stories on the main page. They are very informative.

Good luck in your studies and we hope to see you here often.

Hi Abbey,

Welcome. There are a few of us that have had dual valve replacements and are doing fine. Perry A, Lorraine, Nancy's Joe, and Joann to name a few. You can try to contact them personally by going to the members section. You can send a private message or email them.

This is a great place. And, BTW....our founder Hank is from the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. I am sure he can assist in pointing you in the right direction.

All the best.

Hello Abbey,
You've come to the best site on the web for
shared information on valve replacement. You have
all the support you could imagine.Wish I could
have had this site back in 1997, as I had dual
valve replacement(aortic, mitral) on Jan. 29
1998. I'm 41 yrs. old and they say it was
rheumatic fever that damaged my valves as a
child. It seemed growing up, I always had to
push a little harder to keep up with everyone
else(running,wrestling,bike racing,football etc.)
I't was'nt untill my discharge physical from
the U.S. Marine Corps after 8 yrs. that they
heard a murmer,did an echo,and saw the leaking
valves. They told me to stay in shape and get
checked yearly, and said I probably would'nt
have any problems for about 10-15 yrs. Well,
damn it, they were right! Started with bouts
of A-fib in 96,tried numerous meds.,did'nt
maintain sinus rythum,they decided to get to the
root of the problem and replace my leaking
valves. When I talked to my surgeon, he said
that since the mitral could'nt be replaced with
a biological valve, he would be implanting
mechanical valves,due to my age, and the fact
that I was already on Coumadin therapy for the
A-fib.
I don't believe that dual valve surgery is much
different than a single valve,all though it
probably takes a little longer. I believe I was
able to come home in 3 days, but was held captive
in the hospital for 13 days,mainly because my
INR would not get to where it needed to be. I
think the blood transfusions had something to
do with this.

The recovery time was about 2 mths.,all though
I took 3 mths. off of work so I would have a full
month of fishing before I headed back!!

Still have the A-fib, and it's been chronic
for about 18 mths. I don't let it bother me
much, but the out of beat ticking sound wears
on me sometimes(and my poor wife, she uses earplugs in bed!) I feel good physically,and
put in about 60 hrs./wk. in construction(plumbing,
sidework etc.)

As you know, you have a wealth of information
on this website, and you have time to prepare
and gain knowledge, ask all the questions you can
think of, you will have the support of all of
the members of ValveReplacement.com.
Take care Abbey

Mike in Florida

AVR/MVR St. Judes mechs.
By Tomas Martin at Shands at U.F.
Chronic a- fib

Welcome Aboard

Welcome Aboard

Hi Abbey,

Welcome to the dual clicker's society. I'm a dual valve replacement guy like Mike. You can read more details in the Personal Stories section from the front page of this site. Just click the yellow logo at the top to get there.

I'm doing fine. Hang in there, you will be ok too.

Hi Abbey
I am not a dual valve person, just an aortic vavle person. I had a congenital defect, and always knew I would need the surgery.
I freaked out for about 24 hours after the cardio told me it was time for surgery. Then my mom reminded me that my pediatric cardio said I would be in my mid 30's when I'd be ready for the surgery. he was right, I was 33 almost 34. I wish I had been given until age 45, but don't sweat it.
The surgery seems terrifying, but you will feel so much better after you have it. Mike and Perry are living proof that the surgery is a life-saver (as are we all on here).
Nancy's husband Joe has been thru the gammut of heart surgeries and is still plugging away.

If you are nervous, anxious, unsure; ask all the questions you want. read everyone's personal stories. We have all been there.
Try not too focus on the scariness, but think about how much better you will feel after the surgery. What's that saying from the civil rights movement "keep your eyes on the prize" it fits here too, the prize is having good health back.
You'll make it thru and be fine.
-Mara

Hello Abbey,

I echo all of the above. When selecting a surgeon and hospital, the best indicator is number of procedures per year. Typically, the more they do, the better they are. Look for a surgeon who does 200 heart surgeries /yr in a hospital that does 1000 heart surgeries / year.

www.HealthGrades.com rates hospitals by procedure

www.BestDoctors.com (or BestDocs?) rates doctors, but requires an annual subscription.

I wasn't thrilled to learn that my aortic valve was severely calcified and my mitral valve had mild regurgitation, but as my capicity diminished, my attitude towards surgery changed quickly. When you are more afraid NOT to proceed than to go ahead with surgery, it becomes easier to look forward.

Have you had an ECHO? A TEE? Catheterization?
Those are the DEFINITIVE TESTS your heart conditions.

Best wishes for coping with these trying times.

'AL'

Hi Abbey,

I am writing for my wife (Joann). She had the same experience as you--rheumatic fever that was never detected. Case study in 1959 determined valved damage.

Both valves replaced in 1971 with Starr-Edwards. New Carbomedics valves and 3 bypass in 1998. Also has a pacemaker.

Been to Western Carab. 2 times, Alaska, and Hawaii within the last 18 months. We are LIVING!

May be the longest living patient with 2 valves.

Also has vascular disease which is a new chapter.

Please do not hesitate to e-mail. Will be happy to discuss on telephone. I think that we can help.

God Bless!

Joann & John
Western Ohio

Latest posts

Back