Mild heart failure and high bp

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Barbara Stewart

I'm so frustrated. :mad: My PCP did a BNP or a BMP(?) to test for heart failure and it came back mildly elevated, 247. I didn't even know there was a blood test for this. I'm getting angry to say the least. Everyone seems to be so nonchalant about it. It's "only mildly elevated". :eek: What am I supposed to do; wait until it's very elevated? My bp is high. Sometimes the systolic is up to 200 and the only answer is for me to take more Hytrin which isn't doing anything except making me so tired that I sleep most of the time. Metoprolol was effective before surgery, but with my low heart rate I can't take it now.

Is heart failure something that can go away or am I on my way down? I just want my life back, such as it was. Does anyone have any information for me? Silly question. You people are some of the most knowledgeable people around. Thanks in advance.

Barbara:(

Barbara-

Heart failure is a CONTROLLABLE condition. Joe has had it for many, many years. During that period of time he has been on diuretics to control it. He also limited his salt and sodium intake. Perhaps if you cut way back on your sodium intake, you could keep it at bay for a while. Has your doctor mentioned using diuretics for you? And has your doctor told you about weighing yourself each morning before breakfast w/o clothing and at what overnight weight gain they would like you to call the office?

It is important to keep it under control. Your doctor should be discussing these things with you. And your bloodpressure definitely has to get under control, 200 systolic is very high.

Yes Nancy, I know 200 is VERY high and it scares me silly. I don't get my cardio. He doesn't seem terribly concerned about anything. I, however, am getting very upset.:mad: What I don't understand is why my bp is so high. It was always controllable before. I hope it isn't something to do with my kidneys. I do have lupus. It just never ends and I'm only 56, 57 next year. Does this mean a slow slide into invalidism?:(
Thanks, Nancy.
Barbara

No, this is not a path to invalidism at all. I had a bloodpressure that high when I was in my thirties, mucho, many years ago :) . Granted it was a stressful time in my life, but the doctor at the time put me on bloodpressure meds right away and I have been on them every since. Different ones throughout the years.

I must say, though, that since cooking for Joe with his extremely low sodium diet, even though I do add salt at the table, my bloodpressure rarely breaks 120, and most of the time it is below 110. White coat (doctors) situations can raise it to 140 or so, even with meds.

And trust me, I am VERY active.

And as I said before, CHF can be controlled very nicely for a long, long time.

Barb -

Barb -

Listen to Nancy. She knows of what she speaks and she is a great help to all of us.

Yes, from what I have read CHF is very controllable but it would be a very scary thing to hear that you have. I was "almost" diagnosed with it recently.

One thing - get yourself some Co-Q10. Seriously. It has been PROVEN to help with CHF - 200-400 mg a day. It is pricey but would be well worth it. Also keep the salt intake low and do mild to moderate walking.

I think you will be around for a long time and able to live a very full life. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Christina L

Back