Meta Study "self-monitoring and self-management of oral coagulation is a safe option"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yotphix

Meta Study "self-monitoring and self-management of oral coagulation is a safe option"

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(11)61294-4/fulltext

Sorry that I don't have access to read the whole article but the abstract is certainly interesting. It describes a meta-study (study of studies) which indicates that there is a significant reduction in thrombo-embolic events among self testing patients, and especially among mechanical valve recipients and the young. No shock to anyone here but it is interesting to know that our impression (that all of the studies point to this) is correct. More ammunition for those fighting to win their insurance companies and doctors over.

I love the conclusion: "Self monitoring and self management of oral coagulation is a safe option for suitable patients of all ages. Patients should also be offered the option to self-manage their disease with suitable health-care support as back-up."

Enough said!

There are quite a few studies that reach the same conclusion.

What we have to consider, too, is that many doctors have financial interests in the labs to which they'll otherwise send their patients for the blood draws. (They probably also now have interest in anticoagulation clinics). These financial factors may make home testing less attractive to some physicians. I hate to sound TOO cynical about the motives of some physicians, but this may be a factor in the decision to approve self testing.

(Personally, I've bought my meters on eBay. I didn't have to put up with the approval process)

I am glad to see this article. I have been home testing for just over 1 month and I feel empowered by it! A little bumpy at the start but I think I have it now. I feel that the control is much better.

My father also on anticoagulation, went from INR 2.9 to 5.0 in 3 weeks with no big changes in diet. A weekly schedule would have caught that before it got out of hand.

Latest posts

Back