Met with consultant re baby Callum

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma

I know I've not been about lately at all (although hope to be back to 'normal'very soon) but I thought some of you might like to know the outcome of all the tests baby Callum andI had done after I had him at 24 weeks.

I've Jjust got back from the meeting now and it was ok surprisingly. I felt very wibbly having to go into maternity for it but it had to be done.

The outcome was that all my bloods were fine - and she said I had been tested for everything possible.

Callums bloods showed the very beginnings of infection but the placenta and cord did have infection and that was the reason for the pre-term labour.

They often don't find what infection causes this but in our case luckily they did.
It was a strep infection (I can't remember the exact one but it's all coming in a letter to me soon too). This particular strep infection isn't like the strep b one thats easily detected in women, it's one that lives in the throat normally and causes pnuemonia. Had Callum have lived he would have been a very poorly boy and had no real chance of surviving being as small as he was so I'm better now about the fact we didn't push that consultant when he told us it was best to let Callum go and not intubate him (although if I'm completely honest I know there will always been that tiny part of me that wonders 'what if').

Next pregnancy I have to let the hospital know straight away and will be monitored closely. I will also be given anti-biotics from about 20 weeks to prevent this infection happening again.

So I'm pleased I went and I do feel better knowing it wasn't an infection that I could have prevented or done anything different about - and no-one at the hospitals could/should have done anything differently.

Now we can move on and leave Callum at peace knowing he didn't suffer at all (another question I asked) and everyone did their best for him.

Love Emma
xxx

I'm learning something new again. I'm sure you can't explain it, but how the heck does the placenta get infected without it showing up in your blood too? I've had two very nasty strains of Staph and both tried very hard to kill me and nearly succeeded too.

Emma said:
I know I've not been about lately at all (although hope to be back to 'normal'very soon) but I thought some of you might like to know the outcome of all the tests baby Callum andI had done after I had him at 24 weeks.

I've Jjust got back from the meeting now and it was ok surprisingly. I felt very wibbly having to go into maternity for it but it had to be done.

The outcome was that all my bloods were fine - and she said I had been tested for everything possible.

Callums bloods showed the very beginnings of infection but the placenta and cord did have infection and that was the reason for the pre-term labour.

They often don't find what infection causes this but in our case luckily they did.
It was a strep infection (I can't remember the exact one but it's all coming in a letter to me soon too). This particular strep infection isn't like the strep b one thats easily detected in women, it's one that lives in the throat normally and causes pnuemonia. Had Callum have lived he would have been a very poorly boy and had no real chance of surviving being as small as he was so I'm better now about the fact we didn't push that consultant when he told us it was best to let Callum go and not intubate him (although if I'm completely honest I know there will always been that tiny part of me that wonders 'what if').

Next pregnancy I have to let the hospital know straight away and will be monitored closely. I will also be given anti-biotics from about 20 weeks to prevent this infection happening again.

So I'm pleased I went and I do feel better knowing it wasn't an infection that I could have prevented or done anything different about - and no-one at the hospitals could/should have done anything differently.

Now we can move on and leave Callum at peace knowing he didn't suffer at all (another question I asked) and everyone did their best for him.

Love Emma
xxx

This news makes me feel better too. Thank you, Emma, for sharing it.
God bless

Emma..
I pray that this gives you some sense of peace. Thank you so much for posting this.
prayers and hugs to you

Thank you for sharing, Emma and wishing you and yours a peaceful New Year.

Emma, glad you are happy with the report, wishing you all peace. Sorry you are having problems, hope they pass with ease. Try to have a good christmas and new year. Take care Paula x

This is the season for Peace and it sounds like some has come your way. I am happy to read that you feel you can move on and know everything possible was done. Try not to agonize over the intubation issue. You mentioned you did not want Callum to suffer and being on the tube might have caused that to happen.

My thoughts, hugs and prayers are with you and your family.

To anyone who thinks they may have seen things,
I have deleted my other post in this thread from earlier today - my frame of mind wasn't great at the time - sorry!

Thankyou very much for all the thoughts and messages
Love Emma
xxx

Emma, I'm glad the answers you received have help you feel some sense of peace. You and your family continue to remain in my prayers.

Emma -

Emma -

God wouldn't have let your precious baby suffer. I hope you can rest in the peace of knowing that Callum didn't suffer and that he was loved so much by you. You will see him again someday.

As all have said, may your new year bring new joy and peace.

Christina L

Emma. Your bravery and determination and compassion truly impress me. Thank you, from all parents everywhere, for not letting go of the need to know, however difficult the finding out can be.

Wishing you a peaceful Christmastime.

Marguerite

Emma,
Sending more {{hugs}} to you. I am glad you have answers. You & your family & sweet Callum are never far from my thoughts. Take Care.

Andrew'sMom said:
Emma,
Sending more {{hugs}} to you. I am glad you have answers. You & your family & sweet Callum are never far from my thoughts. Take Care.
Me too Emma. Thanks for letting us know what happened. Love to you and yours, Brian

Just sending my love, Emma!

Just sending my love, Emma!

And lots and lots of hugs. I am so glad you got some answers. Many hugs. Janet

Latest posts

Back