Met with cardiologist today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ged1975

As some of you know I cancelled my surgery last March because of extreme anxiety so I was expecting a tough meeting with my cardiologist today. Another worry was that the condition had progressed.

Anyway an echo was carried out today and it appears my left ventricle has decreased in size and that there has been no progression from Sept 2008 to Sept 2009 (today). The cardiologist said he doesn't see the need for surgery at the moment and he will see me in February for another echo.

However I did say today that I would rather get the surgery out of the way but he said there is no point rushing into it as I am healthy and he'll see how I am in February.

I wasn't expecting that outcome today.

Last edited:
Ged,
That must come as a big surprise for you. I guess it is looking at whether the glass is half empty or half full. It is great that things have not progressed since last year; however, it is hard to conjur up the courage to move forward and then be told "wait" again. I feel for you. I remember when I went back to see the cardio 9 months ago and he said that things had not progressed since the last echo. (although it was severe) and I was to see him again in the spring. It was a blessing and a curse. I thought to myself...how am I going to wait another 6-9 months. I managed to do it and am now scheduled for surgery in the fall.

If you are not satisfied with your results, it may help to get another opinion.
Just a thought...
Wishing you well.

Ged,
That must come as a big surprise for you. I guess it is looking at whether the glass is half empty or half full. It is great that things have not progressed since last year; however, it is hard to conjur up the courage to move forward and then be told "wait" again. I feel for you. I remember when I went back to see the cardio 9 months ago and he said that things had not progressed since the last echo. (although it was severe) and I was to see him again in the spring. It was a blessing and a curse. I thought to myself...how am I going to wait another 6-9 months. I managed to do it and am now scheduled for surgery in the fall.

If you are not satisfied with your results, it may help to get another opinion.
Just a thought...
Wishing you well.

Hi Ottawagal,

The glass is half-full in my mind. I am pleasantly surprised and satisfied as it was a very torough checkup. He thinks maybe in a paraxodical way the calcium channel blockers are helping in that they are decreasing the backflow of blood into the LV which is not what they are really meant to do.

I'm happy because the urgency has been taking out of it for me and now I can focus on other aspects of my life and learn to relax more until my next echo in February.

Well what a surprise. I'm glad for you. Just stay on top of your appointments and let your cardio know right away if the way you feel changes. Hang in there my friend. Sometimes life throws us some curveballs and we need to be ready to swing the bat. God Bless:)

Hi Ged,
It is great that the glass is half full for you! Hopefully, you can tuck this away for awhile and enjoy your life in the meantime.

I am happy for you!

Latest posts

Back