Medtronic Mosaic/Aortic Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy McCain

Hi,

Just wanted to get a consensus on the Medtronic Mosaic valve. I had one implanted Feb 11th. The surgery was successful, but I still have some inflamation issues. My surgeon recommended this valve for a tissue implant. I am 56 yrs (almost 57 whew!) I am told that they can last up to 20yrs in an older patient. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for all your caring support when I was in the hospital!!

Kathy M.

The Medtronic Mosaic is often referred to as the "Cadillac of tissue valves," and is the most expensive in the US. It's an actual valve, rather than a fabricated one. It has both an anti calcification treatment to help delay and slow the recalcification process and a pressure-free fixation technique that reduces damage to the valve tissue during processing, so it maintains its maximum strength, flexibility, and resistance to casual protective calcifcation.

That being said, it has not been in production for twenty years, so the statement that it will last for that long, while quite feasible in someone at least in their fifties, is technically conjecture. Its forebears averaged fifteen to eighteen years of service without the special treatements, which adds further reasonability to the claim.

I have that valve myself, and it has served me well for the last four+ years, although my aortic transvalvular pressure is extemely high (not the fault of the valve), which logically should shorten its service time quite significantly. An echo two weeks ago revealed no leaks or misfunctions of the valve.

The Carpentier-Edwards Perimount series does have proof of that kind of longevity, with its manufactured valve made of cow pericardium. It's certainly at least on a par with the Medtronic offering.

When present, inflammation is usually in the tissues surrounding the heart, rather than at the implantation site (unless it's related to infection). As such, the valve itself is rarely a direct player in that issue. Some hearts don't take well to being monkeyed with, and can remain inflamed or collect fluids for months after surgery. Fortunately, it doesn't commonly last that long, although there are others on the forums currently who share similar longer-term problems.

Unfortunately, it seems that you're one of the exceptions. I'm sorry you're still having issues with that almost four months later. The likelihood is still that your irritation will also clear up sooner rather than later. I would assume they're trying steroids for it?

Should you need another valve in your lifetime, be aware that most people who've been through the experience multiple times say that each subsequent surgery is different, so there's no saying you'll have a repeat of this event.

A link to information about your valve: http://www.medtronic.com/cardsurgery/products/mosaic_index.html

Best wishes,

Last edited:
I have that valve myself, and it has served me well for the last four+ years, although my aortic transvalvular pressure is extemely high (not the fault of the valve), which logically should shorten its service time quite significantly. An echo two weeks ago revealed no leaks or misfunctions of the valve.

Tobagotwo, why is your transvalvular pressure so high with such a new valve?

...Just wanted to get a consensus on the Medtronic Mosaic valve. I had one implanted Feb 11th. The surgery was successful, but I still have some inflamation issues. My surgeon recommended this valve for a tissue implant. I am 56 yrs (almost 57 whew!) I am told that they can last up to 20yrs in an older patient. Any info would be greatly appreciated...
I'm 46 and mine is nearly five years old (well, in October it will be) and everything has been fine for me so far and I can't add anything to what Bob wrote; perhaps the link he provided might offer you more information. Is there anywhere on the link that you could inquire about your concerns?

What types of inflammation issues are you having to deal with? I hope it's something that will resolve for you soon. Best wishes :) .

Aaron,

They haven't been able to figure that out. Normally, something like that might be tied to a patient-valve mismatch, but I'm 5'10" and have a 25mm valve, which is a normal, full-grown male size. Even if it were slightly small (and there's no evidence that it is), the pressure wouldn't be that far off.

They've done an extra echo study this time, so maybe there's a clue somewhere in that. To this point, they've not found any pannus (scar tissue) in any of the echoes, so that's not blocking, and the jet is normal anyway.

The current diagnosis is that I have "an aggressive heart," and that the beat is abnormally strong. That does seem to be the case (e.g., I can pop up to standing from lying down with a pulse of 48 without any dizziness), but normal beta blockers don't seem to calm it down.

I've just gone on a new type of beta blocker, Bystolic, which works in a different way. Maybe that will help over time. It relaxes the arteries among other things, and doesn't reduce bloodflow from the heart in the process (most beta blockers do). So far, I'm impressed with the product for blood pressure reduction, and for the fact that it has not affected my energy or anything else noticeably at all. But it just came out at the end of February, so I'm a first generation user (read: guinea pig).

It is something of a testament to the Mosaic valve that it's taken this abuse so well so far. It's certainly operating well outside of its specs.

Best wishes,

I have that valve. Jan 22, 2008 and I was 66 at the time. Haven't had any problems other than AFib which I am taking sotalol for. Cardio plans to try and take me off of the sotalol in June.

Good Luck Earline

Medtronic Mosaic/ Aortic valve

Medtronic Mosaic/ Aortic valve

Thank you for your replies,

Yes, the Dr first tried colchicine, NSAID, all the standard treatments. Last month I was prescribed Prednisone. We started with 60mg, then gradually went down to 2 1/2mg. Unfortunately, I had to start lowering the dosage a little sooner, due to side effects. Insomnia, extremely hyper, and nervousness, even with a low dosage of anxiety meds. One day after I stopped the steroid, my pain, and symptoms were back! The good news. My last echo 2 1/2 wks ago showed no more effusion.
I do not understand, why I am still have inflamation problems? My next appt. is this coming Tues, Maybe I can get some answers. I feel like I am just not making the progress I should be. This is starting to wear me down a bit.

Thanks for your responses! Kathy Mccain

"me too"

"me too"

I have the same valve, implanted when I was exactly your age. My cardiologist thinks it will last 25 years, but as has been pointed out above there isn't a sound basis of supporting data yet. The operation was successful for me and even cleared up some lifelong issues that I had no idea were related, including sleep apnea, asthma-like inflammation of the airways and insomnia. I'm sorry you have the post-surgery inflammation issues. I hope it clears up soon.

I have the mosaic freestyle, which has no stent. It is the valve my surgeon recommended strongly.

Hi,

Just wanted to get a consensus on the Medtronic Mosaic valve. I had one implanted Feb 11th. The surgery was successful, but I still have some inflamation issues. My surgeon recommended this valve for a tissue implant. I am 56 yrs (almost 57 whew!) I am told that they can last up to 20yrs in an older patient. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for all your caring support when I was in the hospital!!

Kathy M.

Hello all, I am a new member to the forum and recently had the Mosaic Ultra 27mm from Medtronic implanted to replace my aortic valve at Queens Hospital in Honolulu, HI on May 29, 2008. I had less then 48 hours to decide on which type of valve (mechanical or tissue). I have done a bit of research of the last year and had been leaning towards tissue. My cardiologist was pushing for mechanical, while the surgeon was for a tissue replacement. I opted for the tissue and am pleased with some of the responses I have seen on here saying this type of valve could last upwards of 20 years.

I am 32 years and in very good physical shape and look forward to getting back in the saddle and hope to hear from others on their thoughts and feelings. I would especially like to hear from younger people who have chosen a tissue valve and their thoughts and reasoning about making that decision.

Good luck all and I look forward to interacting and getting involved in the forums and chat!
Chris

I have to chime in, my 21 year old son had AVR 4/7/08 and he originally was leaning to the mechanical valve but after meeting with surgeon and discussion of this valve and no anti-coagulant therapy needed. Our surgeon has been placing these valves for several years and is very impressed with the performance and longevity he said the data is just no there to support it yet because it has not been out long enough-my son was so relieved to not have to be on coumadin. I have done extensive research exploring valve replacement in the young adults and there are not alot of studies addressing this for this age group. We are hoping to 20 years out of this valve-he had a 27mm Medtronic freestyle tissue valve.

I have a "Valve -twin"!

I have a "Valve -twin"!

I also chose the Medtronic Freestyle, 27mm was my size too.
I am 40 now and just had my first "Valversary".
I love my ride with this valve.
I pray God keeps it working for a long time!
Good luck in your choices folks.
I've written a few other replies on valve choice that really helped me.
Try a search.
God bless!

Tobagotwo

Tobagotwo

Would you explain to me about an aggressive heart, and also what is aortic transvalvular pressure. I have very high heart rate which they are having a problem getting into control. This seems to bother my cardo. I probably have always had one. I don't really know, but I do have a lot of energy.

Latest posts

Back