Medications to treat A-fib/A-flutter

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryC

I decided to start this thread after my recent experience with flecanide, one of the drugs used to control heart rhythm issues, and reading other recent posts dealing with issues from the same type of medication. Has anyone ever had a-fib/a-flutter and the cardio/surgeon not put them on medication and see if the problem would resolve itself? Since I had no history with a-fib, I thought the cardio should have put me on coumadin but left me off of the flecanide. Then take me off of coumadin if the a-fid goes away after the appropriate period of time. These drugs seem to all have dangerous side affects....is there an issue I am not seeing that would come of them leaving a patient in a-fid for a few months if the patient is on coumadin?

Mary,

I have been in constant a-fib for about 3 years and am on no meds for it other than coumadin which I was already taking due to my mechanical valve. I rarely feel it so the cardio felt there was no reason to add another drug to my routine.

My husband had a mitral valve repair and his A-fib / A flutter started in the hospital on day 2. He was put on Sotalol and A fib stopped afer 20 hrs. Upon hospital discharge he was supposed to take the Coumadin for 3 months as well as an ACE inhibitor and Sotalol.
Both meds put his BP and pulse very low he acutally passed out. He also felt tired and often dizzy. When I brought him to the ER I kept asking if it's possible to take him off. Head of Cardiologost totally agreed - said he really isn't a case for it - so he was taken off meds (ecxept Coumadin) 2 weeks post-op.
My husband was on 4 mg Coversyl and 80 mg Sotalol and he was taken off it by the Carido cold turkey and had no problems. They said to come back if it occurs again and meanwhile he was covered by Coumadin anyways. He was told the A fib occured early and he now has the same chance as everyone else over 60 to get it again. He is now 1 yrs. out and it never returned, thankfully.
Did they tell you it's for the 3 months only? If you are uncomforable or feeling lousy you certainly should ask for Cardio.
All the best
astrid

Latest posts

Back