Medication discontinued question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefields409

Lasix were reduced last week when I went to cardiologist (to once a day, no repeats )

Yesterday am was last lasix and potassium pill dose (also not repeated). Was noted on meds list for appt with surgeon and it didn't come up in review.

My left leg now looks like a sausage, and it seems right is also starting to swell a bit. :confused2:

I did my usual 5 km walk this am, no problem and I feel fine otherwise.

Did anyone else experience changes once stopping lasix?

Helen

Yeah I started retaining so much water* a month post-op I could have refloated the Titanic. My GP gave me 2 x 100 Lasixes and I was the happiest little person on the planet. Just ask for more!

* NOT ice cream, brie, or chocolate, really . . . .

Another related thought -- if you have a hard time gagging down the golf-ball-sized potassium tablets and can't stand the taste of the nasty liquid goo, ask your doc to prescribe "Micro-K." This is potassium in capsule form. It slides down easily with a gulp of any appropriate liquid refreshment, and has no noted side effects. The only minor issue is that it is only available in certain dosages, so when I switched to Micro-K, instead of taking 1 huge pill, I had to take 2 very manageable capsules each time. This alone changed the daily medication ritual from "Oh no, not again!" to "Oh, well, just another handful of meds."

Interesting that you (plural) got potassium tablets with your Lasix. I think I had them when I was in the hospital, although I just got given a smorgasbord of pills so who knows . . . but after I escaped hospital and continued with Lasix, my potassium prescription came in the form of 'eat bananas'. 3-4 a day. I think I could pretty much live on bananas so I was happy with that!

Is it a standard thing in the US to attempt to choke patients on Lasix with monster-size potassium pills?

Interesting that you (plural) got potassium tablets with your Lasix. I think I had them when I was in the hospital, although I just got given a smorgasbord of pills so who knows . . . but after I escaped hospital and continued with Lasix, my potassium prescription came in the form of 'eat bananas'. 3-4 a day. I think I could pretty much live on bananas so I was happy with that!

Is it a standard thing in the US to attempt to choke patients on Lasix with monster-size potassium pills?

In past hospitalizations with cardiac/hypertension & low potassium issues, I was given the liquid with apple juice chaser (gag) and the one lovely nurse gave me powered potassium in peach yogurt. Ever had salty yogurt? Double gag. Took a LONG time to be able to eat yogurt after that. :biggrin2:

Being a contrary Canadian ;) it was only when i refused to take potassium in liquid form (after surgery) that micro K was presented as an option. :confused2:

Now I am doing the banana thang !!

Helen

The diurectic I was given post op was a "potassium sparing" one: Co-Amilofruse, and after I stopped the pain meds I lost all the fluid retained. I was only on Co-Amilofruse for a week and a half as then my sodium levels got too low ! I was then told to put salt on my food :)

Potassium pill can also be dissolved in applesauce and doesn't change it's flavor at all. My Dr. also approved bananas or V8 juice (it has lots of Potassium) and low levels of Vit.K if you're on Coumadin instead of the Potassium pills. Potassium is given because the Lasix makes your kidneys quick and over filter out electrolytes and Potassium is important in regulating the heart so they want to make sure it's there as needed.

Best of luck on the recovery journey!
Linda

I'll second the giant potassium suggestions: after nearly choking to death (small exaggeration) on half of one of those monster pills the day after I got out of the hospital, I found out you can dissolve them in a small amount of apple juice. You don't want to crush those pills (they are extended release) but they dissolve easily. It is a little gritty, but there is no flavor whatsoever. I was lucky and only had to take Lasix two times after getting out, so even that didn't last long.

I found that they don't really "dissolve" into any liquids and fell out of suspension fairly quickly. I kept having to restir it and ended up drinking LOTS more just to get all the pill down. That's why applesauce and not Apple juice. Good luck!

Linda

Latest posts

Back