Medical alert IDs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, you YOBBS, with tattoos. :wink2: Did anyone get one since being on Warfarin? I know NOTHING about tattooing other than what ones hears randomly about them from shows like Big Bang Theory, :cool: etc... Do they still use needles to put the ink in your skin? I've seen something like an electric engraver being used on one of those Discovery Channel INK shows. What's that? Does it hurt a lot? Is there bleeding or anything someone on Warfarin should be careful about? Is there anything particular we should ask a tattooist about or see (not see) when we go to one? How can one tell if a shop is reputable or good or not? They're all kinda sleazy or scary looking to me, when I know nothing about them.

But, this seems a such a sensible way to really make sure folks know there's a continuing issue that should be noted. Heart surgeries are so common now that I still feel med folks need to be alerted that there's more under that big scar than some unknown heart issue.

Thanks, to any who help get this thread back on track. :rolleyes2: LOVE how we get out on weird tracks, but still would like answers to original question from those obviously in the know! :thumbup:

Linda

Ok, you YOBBS, with tattoos. :wink2: Did anyone get one since being on Warfarin? I know NOTHING about tattooing other than what ones hears randomly about them from shows like Big Bang Theory, :cool: etc... Do they still use needles to put the ink in your skin? I've seen something like an electric engraver being used on one of those Discovery Channel INK shows. What's that? Does it hurt a lot? Is there bleeding or anything someone on Warfarin should be careful about? Is there anything particular we should ask a tattooist about or see (not see) when we go to one? How can one tell if a shop is reputable or good or not? They're all kinda sleazy or scary looking to me, when I know nothing about them.

But, this seems a such a sensible way to really make sure folks know there's a continuing issue that should be noted. Heart surgeries are so common now that I still feel med folks need to be alerted that there's more under that big scar than some unknown heart issue.

Thanks, to any who help get this thread back on track. :rolleyes2: LOVE how we get out on weird tracks, but still would like answers to original question from those obviously in the know! :thumbup:

Linda

I cannot comment on the warfarin and tattoos but in response might I suggest:

Regarding cleanliness- you want it pristine like an OR. IF you see bugs,rats you might want to pass.:wink2:

-pain? I asked my tattoo artist (name of Spyder). He said "not as much as this" and lifted up his shirt to show his nipple rings.:eek2:

For many it becomes a "needle issue" but no way near the 'discomfort' having your sternum cracked open and heart "filleted". Just saying.... ;)

Was thinking of getting a mended heart tattoo, but then thought the scar is really enough to "mark" the occasion. Or I might get a zipper tattoo because I do have a redo in my future.

Helen

boring jump back to the original topic:
After my first AVR, I decided to get a medical id of some sort. I was concerned that an EMT would see the chest scar, the grey hair, the unathletic physique and waste time going down the heart attack path. (I'm also allergic to sulfa drugs.) At the time the two biggest providers were American Medical ID and MedicAlert. I was going to get American Medical, but their entire system was unavailable because of a weather event, so I got a MedicAlert bracelet. In the years since, MedicAlert has rebranded itself as not-for-profit, will hound you for contributions to its "cause". They've sent me two styles of bracelet with fastenings I could not manage alone, and listed my dentist as my primary physician contact! My next medical ID will come from a pet id company, and list "on Warfarin", "allergic to sulfa" and my name, and my primary care physician.

DebyA thanks for helping to keep this BACK ON TOPIC. :cool: thanks for the info on MedicAlert. Until I started this thread, I'd just been looking at companies that sell the IDs not ones that maintained records on their clients. I'd not even been aware of companies like ROAD ID and MedicAlert. After reading other comments about MA, like you, I'm leaning back toward a simple ID band (watch actually with the alert emblem), a key fob and card for my wallet.

If I can talk myself into a tattoo and find a place I feel good about that can answer questions about Warfarin issue, I may eventually get a medID tattoo. I actually have a couple acquaintances who could probably lead me to reputable tattoo places, I was just hoping someone on here had done it or knew more about tattoos and could give a serious answer. It seems like a good idea but I've never seen anyone with one and was trying to find out if there was a reason why.

Again, thanks for the info about how MedicAlert is branding (bad pun :p ) itself.
Take care and best wishes!

Linda

Serious answer....ask your doctor(s) if they have any concerns/objections about tattoos if taking an anticoagulant.
Serious answer... ask doctor what is your most important /pertinent info that needs to be conveyed in an emergency, via medic alert/wallet card etc. Make sure your "in case of emergency person" has access to this info as well.
Serious answer...tattoo outline was like a bad cat scratch, the inside filling was nothing.
Serious answer..there are countless resources on line about what to know and check out BEFORE getting a tattoo. Also a lot of info about getting tattoos while on warfarin etc, including published research studies. Many licensed tattoo artists will NOT give a tattoo if aware anticoagulants are being taken.

http://www.pinterest.com/alexbrito1042/medical-alert-tattoos/
Just a few examples....

Best advice... think BEFORE you INK !!

Actually, thank you for the Pinterest page. Most of those are way more involved than I'd feel comfortable getting, but some were right along what I was thinking. It was good to see them in real life, as it were.

I had actually asked my Dr. what she thought should be on there. Her answer was, ask your cardiologist. That's why I posted the question. I didn't want to focus on what a cardiologist would want to know but what an ER or EMT would need to know in the immediate moments of care. I figured there might be quite a few folks who'd thought about this already or who'd had surgery AND were EMTs or ER personnel themselves.

The tattoo discussion came about because I don't know that much about them but could see benefit in this case. I really do appreciate the Pin link page. I'm not a social media person and would never have thought of looking on there for images. THANKS!

Linda

Actually, thank you for the Pinterest page. Most of those are way more involved than I'd feel comfortable getting, but some were right along what I was thinking. It was good to see them in real life, as it were.

I had actually asked my Dr. what she thought should be on there. Her answer was, ask your cardiologist. That's why I posted the question. I didn't want to focus on what a cardiologist would want to know but what an ER or EMT would need to know in the immediate moments of care. I figured there might be quite a few folks who'd thought about this already or who'd had surgery AND were EMTs or ER personnel themselves.

The tattoo discussion came about because I don't know that much about them but could see benefit in this case. I really do appreciate the Pin link page. I'm not a social media person and would never have thought of looking on there for images. THANKS!

Linda

If you do a google seach of term medic alert tattoos (under images) there are more. There were even a few about pacemaker implants, DNR, even a living will regarding heroic measures and organ donation etc.

Ok, now I really do feel dumb! I claim STILL on heavy drugs as excuse this time. LOL (down to just a couple Tramadol a day and round the clock Tylenol, depending on if I'd been riding in car or out and about more than an hour or so. But STILL hurting A LOT, just more tolerant of pain.) But I often have done Google Image searches for things and simply (again) didn't think to in this case. Must be something wrong. I know I still keep having speech issues, with getting words mixed up so still not functioning on all thrusters.

Same thing I'm noticing with tattoos as with some of commercial ID bracelets/tags. Some are so elaborate as to be distractive and not really getting the message across that there's a medical issue.

Thanks again, hope this is helping some others too.
Linda

Here is an example of what may be included on a wallet card: http://www.medids.com/free-id.php#.U5_TZPldUWI
I don't want to wear anything so I just filled out one of these and put it in my wallet. If you are interested in an EMT's perspective, I suggest you stop by your local firestation. I've found firemen to be very helpful and they normally have an EMT associated to any firestation. At a minimum I would think they could put you in touch with one, and then you can hear first hand what they look for in terms of medical information on a patient. If you do this I would be interested to hear what they have to say.

I have had four different tattoo artists agree to tattoo me, without really seeming bothered by the warfarin, after my assuring them that I'm not all that bleedy. I asked each of them afterwards whether they thought I bled markedly more than a typical client, and none seemed to think so.
A clean tattoo shop and an artist with a clear understanding of sanitary practice is especially important for us, since we're particularly prone to bacterial endocarditis. Having said that, I've had numerous small infected cuts from my day to day work, and a brutal infection of my OHS scar, but never had any sign of infection from a tattoo.
As to the medic alert symbol, I've asked many EMTs and all have said without hesitation that the small symbol on my wrist, which is easily covered by a watch when I don't want it to show, is quite noticeable to them. Mine simply says 'Warfarin' on the inverse side. Each EMT I've asked answered that upon reading it, they assumed I must be anticoagulated.
I would post a picture of the tattoo for you, but I seem to need to post a link rather than a file, and I don't have it stored online anywhere. Sorry.
Good luck with it. I don't regret mine for a moment, but then I'm kind of ok with tattoos in the first place. If that makes me a Yobbo, or whatever else to someone here, that's fine with me. I also ride motorcycles, work with my hands, have odd suntans, and don't shave every day. So far, it works for me.:D

Bluefields, thanks for the replies and assurance. I was wondering if the wise comments were trying to hint to me about some sort of forum etiquette I'd missed. Like continuing a thread that already had other previous threads on the topic. :)

Yotfix (did I get that right???), great info! Thanks!

Now I gotta tell everyone about when I asked my cardiologist today about the tattoo. OMG I wish I had a picture of his face. Too funny. ;). I think he was out right shocked. Just not something he expected to hear from a middle age retired Colonel's wife! And he's a young (to me) guy who'd just finished telling me about the hockey camp he'd gone to in Toronto for his Father's Day. Basic answer was he didn't feel ID really was necessary although could see use of ON COUMADIN alert but highly suggested jewelry instead. When I pointed out to him just how often he's seen me with jewelry (NEVER) he still couldn't get over tattoo idea and just said, get a necklace. I don't think his answer had anything to do with health risk, but just idea of tattoos. Then again, I just realized this is a military Full Colonel I'm asking. Even if Navy (no hits to those Navy folks here, just I've seen more Navy guys w tattoos than us Air Force types. :rolleyes:), he's probably too conservative in regards to tattoos in the first place. LOL He did say it was the FIRST time anyone's asked him that!

Well, Ipad down to 8% power. More when I've got more power Captain!

Linda

@clay from nj: Thanks for the link. I'd forgotten all about that post. Nothing new since then, but I'm keen to get something drawn to commemorate my daughter's birth, and I still owe myself a couple of others that I've been planning and placing for a while.
@ Aggie85: I bet the doc did a double take! My own mother, who turns 81 this year, took herself out for her birthday last year and got a tattoo on her forearm. Just the one, and of her favourite leaf. (No! Not THAT leaf! A Ginkgo! What sort of woman do you think she is?) She's quite proud of it, and fond of mine too. If she's not too old for a tattoo, no one is!

Bluefields, thanks for the replies and assurance. I was wondering if the wise comments were trying to hint to me about some sort of forum etiquette I'd missed. Like continuing a thread that already had other previous threads on the topic. :)

Nope...no etiquette police here. Just relying on some humour on occasion, as I deal with what life throws my way. Been playing a lot of "dodge ball" this last year and sometimes my coping mechanism doesn't always translate well into this world we call 'cyber'.

Helen:cool2:

I can give you a little perspective from my experience as a nurse. As soon as they see your sternal scar, the cat is out of the bag. No hiding that. They're going to get an EKG, chest xrays, a ton of labwork and probably an echo. Now, if you have other conditions you should wear a medic-alert bracelet or necklace. Much more recognizable than a wallet card. In an emergency, they don't necessarily focus on the wallet. They will look for a necklace or bracelet. So if you have a latex allergy, diabetes, seizures, or dementia, you should be wearing some kind of medic-alert on your body.

You can sign up for one of the company's that handle medic-alerts but you can also just buy a medic-alert tag and have it engraved. It works just as well to alert medical personnel to your particular important problem. My DS is non-verbal and very mentally handicapped, but he's a runner. We got a tag for him and put it on a sturdy neck chain that he can't get off. It has our name and cell phone number, just in case he gets lost (which has happened.)

Latest posts

Back